Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT!! lift needed to fota island hotel

Options
  • 15-04-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hey all,

getting to fota lodges-any idea? the train arrives at the other side of the island so no good - no buses stop there - to get taxi from the train to the lodges costs €10. I've been lucky enough to win a place on a fitness program down there and have to be down there 3 times a week for an hr at a time so all of the above are not feasible. I don't drive and have minimal cash, can anyone help me out with suggestions please? i'd have to leave town this evening around 5.30pm or 6pm!! anyone can help me out?obviously we can come to an arrangement re petrol etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

superfluff wrote: »
    hey all,

getting to fota lodges-any idea? the train arrives at the other side of the island so no good - no buses stop there - to get taxi from the train to the lodges costs €10. I've been lucky enough to win a place on a fitness program down there and have to be down there 3 times a week for an hr at a time so all of the above are not feasible. I don't drive and have minimal cash, can anyone help me out with suggestions please? i'd have to leave town this evening around 5.30pm or 6pm!! anyone can help me out?obviously we can come to an arrangement re petrol etc.

Maybe a nice ol walk will help in he fitness program also?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 superfluff

gimmick wrote: »
    Maybe a nice ol walk will help in he fitness program also?

have been through this on the proc - its 45min walk on a dirt track thru d woods from the train in fota - plus am on the fitness program as i'm not in good health.walking thru the woods like that in the lashing rain isnt going to do me any good sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Is there a bus to Cobh?

no buses to cobh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'd imagine it couldn't be more than a 15-20 minute walk from the tullagreine side if you took a bus to Carrigtwohill that would stop by the Cobh Cross flyover? AFAIK the Carrigtwohill bus will go via Glounthaune giving you good opportunity to get to the flyover. Can anyone confirm?

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'd imagine it couldn't be more than a 15-20 minute walk from the tullagreine side if you took a bus to Carrigtwohill that would stop by the Cobh Cross flyover? AFAIK the Carrigtwohill bus will go via Glounthaune giving you good opportunity to get to the flyover. Can anyone confirm?

dont know that side of town myself at all so dont have a clue, buses to carrigtwohill seem to be few n far between. would be leaving town around 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

See this thread for a discussion.
    Unfortunately it looks like there is no easy solution. Bus to Cobh Cross + 20-30 minute walk, some of it along a busy road, or train to Carrigtohill + taxi look like the best options. Carrigtohill train station is maybe 500 m from the main street, and I'm not sure where the taxi rank is, but you could book a taxi to meet the train perhaps.

See this thread for a discussion.
    Unfortunately it looks like there is no easy solution. Bus to Cobh Cross + 20-30 minute walk, some of it along a busy road, or train to Carrigtohill + taxi look like the best options. Carrigtohill train station is maybe 500 m from the main street, and I'm not sure where the taxi rank is, but you could book a taxi to meet the train perhaps.

ya thks for that, the buses don't run late enough though couldnt get back

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Can you try to car pool with someone else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Get the train and bring a bicycle on the train.
    No easy way really without a car/lift

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Id love a job in New York but I cant get there-listen turn it down if you cant get there its only a fitness programme do one in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Ring the hotel, they must have information on how to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

horgan_p wrote: »
    Can you try to car pool with someone else ?

Eh, I think that's the whole point of this thread.

mean gene wrote: »
    Id love a job in New York but I cant get there-listen turn it down if you cant get there its only a fitness programme do one in town.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me - there is no way i could afford this or any other fitness program

jamesbere wrote: »
    Ring the hotel, they must have information on how to get there.

have done that - they suggested a taxi from the train which will cost me total of €76 week,which I don't have - they are trying to find out if anyone on the course is along the rail line that could possibly give me a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Could you buy an old bike and bring it on the train and get off at Fota station.You would cycle from the station to the hotel in 10 minutes.

Or you could ring the hotel and ask for a spin from the train.I think they still have a courtesy minibus for bringing guests to and from the airport.

Could you buy an old bike and bring it on the train and get off at Fota station.You would cycle from the station to the hotel in 10 minutes.

Or you could ring the hotel and ask for a spin from the train.I think they still have a courtesy minibus for bringing guests to and from the airport.

hi ya I've been in touch with them - the shuttle bus is only for corporate guests,they won't let me use it

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you are not able to get there, groupon etc regularly have fitness offers within the city, for about the money you would spend on trains to get to Fota and back. If you have health issues that would benefit from exercise, talk to your GP. I think they are able to prescribe sessions at Leisureworld (or used to be able to, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Have you considered cycling there? Or even bringing a bike in the train and cycling half the way?

Advertisement