Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post from Ireland to Australia

Options
  • 15-04-2013 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys,

My sister is out in Melbourne and I need to send a 10kg parcel out to her. Does anyone know what the cheapest parcel delivery company is?

Surely half the Mammy's in Ireland are posting over stuff so the why is the answer so hard to find?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What does the post office say ?

Rumour has it they have some experience in these matters.

Whatever it is I will bet you its cheaper than mailing it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mminor

An Post. €60 for 20kg

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yeah you can't beat An Post for these things. Most other companies only really deal with larger packages .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

An Post, do not go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

€75
    You have selected a Parcel with a weight of 20 Kgs from Dublin to Main centres, Australia.

Rate €75.00
    Vat n/a
    Total €75.00

Transit Times: 7/8 Working Days
    Service Features:
    World-wide Airmail Delivery

http://postage.anpost.ie/rates.asp?country=AU-MC&cname=Australia&rname=Main%20centres&zone=4&item_type=Parcel&weight=20&service=IP

€75 to send 20kg 10000 miles is an excellent rate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

how much would the opposite direction be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

http://auspost.com.au/apps/international-parcel.html

sea mail $200 air mail $419
    BUt there might be cheaper companies

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

danotroy wrote: »
    how much would the opposite direction be?
    20kg package to Ireland:

By sea mail: AUD 200.95
    By air mail: AUD 419.45

Neither of these options offer tracking of your consignment. If you want that, you need to pick one of the "Express" options, at a price of between AUD 426.45 and AUD 452.00, depending on exactly which option you choose.

okay this leads me to ask..... who pays for mail? i pay post(AU) 420 dollars i drop it off at my local post office they take it to tullamarine and they send it on its way. they pocket 240 dollars.
    My package goes through various countries and arrives at an post(IE) who drop it to my house.

on the flip side the same happen but an post(IE) pocket 75 euros

who pays for post?

arent an post losing out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Traditionally, the deal used to be like this: Suppose an article is posted in country A, addrssed to an address in country B. Postage is paid to country A's post office, and they trouser the lot. It's then up to them to deliver the article to the post office in country B (therefore, country A post office pays the cost of the international leg of the journey). Country B's post office then carries the article to the addressee's door for (in effect) no payment. This was all agreed at the Universal Postal Union in eighteen eighty-something.

The thinking behind this was that every letter generates a reply, so in due course country B would collect the postage from a letter to country A, and it would all come out in the wash. This way of allocating postal revenues was reckoned to be cheaper than attempting to price each leg of the journey and then divide up the postage pro rata.

Even if it's not true that every letter generates a reply, this system still makes sense if letters from A to B generate replies at more or less the same rate as letters from B to A.

It breaks down, though, if postal flows are predominantly one way. For instance, if I write off for a year's subscription to a weekly magazine published in another country, my single letter generates 52 replies, and each one of them is probably heavier and bulkier than my original letter. This is not a good deal for my country's post office. So, from about 1970 onwards, a system of "balancing" payments was introduced. If the weight of post going from (say) Australia to (say) Ireland each year exceeded the weight of post going in the other direction by more than a certain threshold, the Australian authorities had to make an annual payment to the Irish authorities related to the difference. Over time this system has become more sophisticated, with separate calculations and payments being made in respect of letter post, periodical post and parcel post, and some countries - notably the US - have opted out and now negotiate their own bilateral agreements with countries with whom the exchange large amounts of mail.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Traditionally, the deal used to be like this: Suppose an article is posted in country A, addrssed to an address in country B. Postage is paid to country A's post office, and they trouser the lot. It's then up to them to deliver the article to the post office in country B (therefore, country A post office pays the cost of the international leg of the journey). Country B's post office then carries the article to the addressee's door for (in effect) no payment. This was all agreed at the Universal Postal Union in eighteen eighty-something.

The thinking behind this was that every letter generates a reply, so in due course country B would collect the postage from a letter to country A, and it would all come out in the wash. This way of allocating postal revenues was reckoned to be cheaper than attempting to price each leg of the journey and then divide up the postage pro rata.

Even if it's not true that every letter generates a reply, this system still makes sense if letters from A to B generate replies at more or less the same rate as letters from B to A.

It breaks down, though, if postal flows are predominantly one way. For instance, if I write off for a year's subscription to a weekly magazine published in another country, my single letter generates 52 replies, and each one of them is probably heavier and bulkier than my original letter. This is not a good deal for my country's post office. So, from about 1970 onwards, a system of "balancing" payments was introduced. If the weight of post going from (say) Australia to (say) Ireland each year exceeded the weight of post going in the other direction by more than a certain threshold, the Australian authorities had to make an annual payment to the Irish authorities related to the difference. Over time this system has become more sophisticated, with separate calculations and payments being made in respect of letter post, periodical post and parcel post, and some countries - notably the US - have opted out and now negotiate their own bilateral agreements with countries with whom the exchange large amounts of mail.

great answer! good value for your euro so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Hi guys,

My sister is out in Melbourne and I need to send a 10kg parcel out to her. Does anyone know what the cheapest parcel delivery company is?

Surely half the Mammy's in Ireland are posting over stuff so the why is the answer so hard to find?

Thanks

I've heard it's as cheap to send 20kg as 10kg. Throw in some chocolate or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

My sister just sent me a poster (one direction cause thats how I roll) in cardboard and its cost her 5 euro ... thats good

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

It prob would have been cheaper if it han't been 1D only joking ...lol

Advertisement