Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Payout query

Options
  • 15-04-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

My Fiance's engagement ring went missing and as it was insured under home contents insurance, the insurance company has offered to pay out. Unfortunately they are offering only 80% of the ring valuation that it was insured for.

Can these offers be negotiated? They have only given me two options accept the amount or have the ring replaced by them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

portcrap wrote: »
    My Fiance's engagement ring went missing and as it was insured under home contents insurance, the insurance company has offered to pay out. Unfortunately they are offering only 80% of the ring valuation that it was insured for.

Can these offers be negotiated? They have only given me two options accept the amount or have the ring replaced by them.

I would say that it is down to the terms and conditions of your policy. Why not just accept the offer to have them replace the ring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Does the 20% account for the excess on the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

A couple of questions,

when you say "of the ring valuation" does this relate to a pre-loss valuation?

have you had an independent valuation carried out on what the replacement value is?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I think it's the same for car insurance. e.g. you might insure it for say €10k but if it is then written off, they will only pay the open market value of the car. I believe they also reserve the right to replace with an equal car.
    Most jewellers have 20-25% "sales" at the moment, so valuation is not equal to replacement cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

I would say that it is down to the terms and conditions of your policy. Why not just accept the offer to have them replace the ring ?

Already replaced it...under pressure :)

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »

Hi Emeldc, no the excess was taken off after the 20% offer

emeldc wrote: »
    kkelliher wrote: »
    A couple of questions,

when you say "of the ring valuation" does this relate to a pre-loss valuation?

have you had an independent valuation carried out on what the replacement value is?

Yes kkelliher - this was the pre loss valuation by two independent jewellers.

I have submitted the details to 2 jewellers today, they reckon if anything the value has gone up from my pre-loss valuation on the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Yes kkelliher - this was the pre loss valuation by two independent jewellers.

I have submitted the details to 2 jewellers today, they reckon if anything the value has gone up from my pre-loss valuation on the policy

Produce the two post loss valuations to the insurance company and they shouldnt really have much riggle room as the market decides the value not the insurance company

Advertisement