Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Programming - what is it like?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

For some reason or another we have a compulsory module in android programming next semester, what is it like? What languages does it compare to?

I`ve heard that its a bit of a nuisance?

I`m just a humble student struggling through an IT conversion course, we have done C, and C++ so far (along with other non programming stuff).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's like sitting in front of a computer and pushing buttons. It uses Java which is about as mainstream as it gets, much easier than C++ etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not Easy wrote: »
    For some reason or another we have a compulsory module in android programming next semester

Maybe because the course aims to cover the aspect of mobile development and Android is much easier to get into than iOS, I'd be shocked if a modern programming course didn't have a mobile module.
    what is it like? What languages does it compare to?

It is based on Java, as srsly78 says you can't get much more mainstream.
    I`ve heard that its a bit of a nuisance?

In what way?
    I`m just a humble student struggling through an IT conversion course, we have done C, and C++ so far (along with other non programming stuff).

You should have no issues with an Android module then if you have a good handle of C++ and OOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Its Java with added GUI elements.
    TextView.getText();
    TextView.setText();

Then once you get your head around Intents and the Context/Activity model, then you're sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Not Easy

Thanks for the responses,

I am looking forward to it, some of my friends doing a different course were complaining about it but they are probably just moaners!

It would be nifty to get an Android App on the market:). Anyway, got to get through this semester first :D

Advertisement