Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish - NUI Exemption

• 15-04-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, just want to ask a question. Do you still have to do the Irish exam if you got a NUI exemption?

I do OL Irish and my courses are mostly in Trinity. I don't understand a word of Irish and I failed the mocks. If you fail the Irish exam or if you are not present during the exam will it have any effect on entry requirements?

I know that you still have to do Irish but I really can't waste time on it. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Hi, just want to ask a question. Do you still have to do the Irish exam if you got a NUI exemption?

I do OL Irish and my courses are mostly in Trinity. I don't understand a word of Irish and I failed the mocks. If you fail the Irish exam or if you are not present during the exam will it have any effect on entry requirements?

I know that you still have to do Irish but I really can't waste time on it. Any help?

No, it will not affect you at all. Just don't sit the exam, your time could be better spent studying for the other subjects. I'm assuming your not sitting the oral either.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Yeah, I really don't want to sit it but my Irish teacher was saying you must send a letter and other details and its a big fuss.

Should I tell a teacher beforehand or just don't turn up? And are you exempt as well or have you done this before?

No, i'm not exempt, just know the way the system works. Is the CAO or whoever aware your exempt? Who do you have to spend the letter to?

As long as the CAO/NUI are aware of it (so that it doesn't affect your college application) you just don't show up for any exam. Don't let the teacher hassle you over this ! Seriously you have better things to do with your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Are you actually entitled to an exemption or are you just going to send a letter saying you can't do Irish, please exempt me, because if it's the latter you won't get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

Yeah. CAO and NUI know that I'm exempt. I don't really know what the letter is about but I will tell him I'm not going anyway. You're right I can't waste time on it. Thank you for the help.

• Advertisement

Yeah. CAO and NUI know that I'm exempt. I don't really know what the letter is about but I will tell him I'm not going anyway. You're right I can't waste time on it. Thank you for the help.

Your teacher is probably talking about a department of education exemption, which is hard to get. But basicly this exempts you from going to class as well as exams.

So as it stands you have to go to your classes, but not your exams. Just don't show up for oral & written in June. If you do the oral and not the written you'll end up with a fail grade in the LC so make sure you don't attend any part of the Irish exam. Best of luck in the LC :)

Advertisement