Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources for multiple devices

Options
  • 15-04-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how the resources work in Android?

For example with images, there is a resource folder for the different screen densities.

I am wondering when the user downloads the app to their device from the market place, will they ONLY download the images suitable for their device?

Since the xXHD images will be very large, it would be a waste if they were downloaded by lower density models.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

For example with images, there is a resource folder for the different screen densities.

I am wondering when the user downloads the app to their device from the market place, will they ONLY download the images suitable for their device?
    No, they'll download the whole lot that will be bundled into the final APK.

The average size of APK's has increased substantially in recent years, so there's a fair bit of tolerance on app size. Alternatively, you may want to look at using scaled drawables as an alternative approach to images.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Thank you for the info.

I think I will just concentrate on medium density and high density screens.

I notice that when creating a project in Eclipse, it does not add a launcher an icon for the low density screens; but it does make one for MD, HD and XHD.

Maybe this is related to the lowest target API chosen.

I think it would make more sense to a separate app for XHD and XXHD. If I were to use scaled drawables I guess you would have to use the highest quality image so it would scale well for XXHD. This would be a waste of space for users with MD screens especially.

Advertisement