Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential first time dog owner - advice and tips?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

For our pup I wasn't giving him anything after 7pm food or water wise.
    I'd take him to the toilet at least 2-3 time after that and he would be perfect for the entire night.
    I'd give him a treat around 10pm to keep him going and if it was hot or I had walked him after his last food I'd let him drink some water but not gallons as he's prone to do.
    Now he lasts all through the night no probs at all. I'm normally back up at 7am with work so he gets toilet/fed and watered at this time plus the missus looks after him during the day.

Regarding nighttime from day 3 I locked him in his crate overnight and also had the other dog sleep in the kitchen as well so the pup was happy as he knew the other fella was there with him.
    In the crate I had a little bed for him as well as his toys and he's happy out in there.
    At the start he wanted to come out of the crate but I ignored him and he's learnt now to only whimper if he wants to go to the toilet etc.
    Do not give your puppy free access to your house. It will take way longer to toilet train him that way.
    The first 2 nights I let him sleep in my bed but put a stop to that on the 2nd night when he poohed on the baby changer and pee'ed on the duvet :(

At this stage he was only 8 weeks old and now at 13 weeks he's flying it.
    Still have to watch him where he pees as he doesn't recognise the missus as the boss and will actually pee in front of her.
    He won't do it when I'm there and knows to go outside the back door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Blazer wrote: »

Regarding nighttime from day 3 I locked him in his crate overnight and also had the other dog sleep in the kitchen as well so the pup was happy as he knew the other fella was there with him.
    In the crate I had a little bed for him as well as his toys and he's happy out in there.

At this stage he was only 8 weeks old and now at 13 weeks he's flying it.
    Still have to watch him where he pees as he doesn't recognise the missus as the boss and will actually pee in front of her.
    He won't do it when I'm there and knows to go outside the back door.

A pup at 8 weeks shouldnt be left in a crate all night long. They cannot hold in it for that long and its very unfair to expect that from an 8 week old pup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yawn. That was a tiring night.

We took it in shifts to stay down with her over night, and I landed the midnight to 6 AM slot :pac: She was like clockwork, hour and a half sleep, half hour away. We started off using puppy pads rather than rushing her outside; three of the 4 times she woke up, she walked right over to them, went on them (or at least in the general direction) and back to bed. Once though, she seemed to give up on the notion of "Nighttime for sleep" idea; she started getting really bite-y with everything. Every time I put her back in her bed, she would jump out smiling and ready to play. Eventually she crawled up at my feet and went back asleep, I gave her a few minutes and then just plopped her into bed.

She seems quite drained today though, which slightly worries me, cause I don't want her active and rested tonight when I want to sleep :pac: But she's really quick at learning things (biting fits aside).

DSCF0676_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What a cutie!!

But i really would advise you against the puppy pads as its confusing for the pup and you will have to start training all over again once you want her to go outside.

andreac wrote: »
    A pup at 8 weeks shouldnt be left in a crate all night long. They cannot hold in it for that long and its very unfair to expect that from an 8 week old pup.

oh I know..the first 2-3 weeks I was getting up at 3am to take him outside...and let me tell you..I was beat..we had just started getting our son to sleep through the night :D
    the first week was the hardest..getting up twice a night and then started pushing it out till it was only once a night and now he's perfect till the morning
    and @teamshadowclan don't give the puppy the habit of playing during the night..keep it strictly toilet orientated and she'll soon pick it up that these walks are strictly for toilet and back to bed again.
    I used to take our fella for a nice 1-2.5km walk before his naptime and I was getting up at 2am and 4.30am for the first week and start gradually pushing out the times.

I found this site an excellent guide for potty training etc.

http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/training/housebreaking.htm

• Advertisement

How do I stop the playingn though? I pick her up and put her to bed but she seems to think that's part of the game :S any tips to making her sleep quickly?

How do I stop the playingn though? I pick her up and put her to bed but she seems to think that's part of the game :S any tips to making her sleep quickly?

I was just walking him straight over to the green and saying "toilet".
    I gave him 5 mins and if he didn't go I'd bring him back in and give him another hour before taking him back out.
    I wouldn't play with him or talk to him during this 5 mins.
    Luckily he was getting it the 2nd or 3rd night.

Night 2 was so, so much smoother than Night 1.

She slept solid from midnight till half 4 in the morning, and even then, woke up more because I took her out to the toilet than she wanted waking up. Went to the toilet and went back in to her bed, though would only settle at my feet. Still, a nights sleep is a nights sleep. I know she'll need to get proper use to her bed, but she's staying in it more readily more and more as the hours go on.

In more positive news, she's now going to the toilet out the backgarden and without the puppy pads as well. 9 out of 10 pees are being done outside, though she reacts more to Mom than me. She sees Mom coming and runs to the backdoor, climbs out, pees and then sits at our feet.

Pooing is another matter. She seems to prefer to wait till she breaks line of sight with us and then goes wherever. Last twice now though, she's gone out the backgarden and we've praised her as much as possible. Think she's starting to get the message.

The only other "problem" is that when she hears rattling of plastic, she comes bounding out for food, waking her tail and getting a tad barky. I'm taking a guess that her original owners might have been feeding her when they were eating.

998510_351817824943732_814624803_n.jpg

Advertisement