Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oily hair

• 15-04-2013 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

My hair gets oily quite quickly, I usually have to wash it at least every other day otherwise it feels disgusting. This usually did the trick so I didn't mind too much.

Lately I'm finding that even after washing my hair it still looks oily when I dry it. It's only very slight, but it's still annoying. I have tried 3 different shampoos and it's the same after each of them. I can't remember what shampoos I used, one said it was for oily hair, another was my OH's anti dandruff shampoo and I think the third was Tony & Guy. I spent a bit extra on the last one in the hopes that it would fix the problem. I've stopped using conditioner all together and it hasn't made a difference.

I have no idea what the issue is. I moved house recently and the issue started just after the move so I'm starting to think maybe it could be the water? Is that even possible?

I have a power shower in the new house so it can't possibly be residual product left in my hair.

Going crazy here :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Sounds like it is the water. I find on when I go on holidays or use a different shower/bath, my hair feels/looks different (can be a good or bad different), and I normally put it down to the water.

Might be worth seeing if the water is hard or soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I have the same problem, oily hair and skin on my face :( (bone dry on my body :rolleyes: ). I’ve tried lots of shampoos and settled on Pantene repair and protect, however like you I still had to wash my hair every day....I could push it to every other day but my roots looked greasy even by the second day. A couple of months ago I tried Aussie Mega Shampoo and since switching I can go three days without washing my hair. It doesn’t dry out my hair and smells lovely too. As someone with a fringe I learned that I can stretch out washing my hair if I just wash my fringe, if like me you have a fringe or even layers framing your face it might be a good trick to stretch out your hair washing.

http://www.boots.com/en/Aussie-Mega-Shampoo-300ml_8829/

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

bscm wrote: »
    Sounds like it is the water. I find on when I go on holidays or use a different shower/bath, my hair feels/looks different (can be a good or bad different), and I normally put it down to the water.

Might be worth seeing if the water is hard or soft.

I have no idea how to tell if the water is hard or soft. Any idea why that might make a difference?
    ClubDead wrote: »
    I have the same problem, oily hair and skin on my face :( (bone dry on my body :rolleyes: ). I’ve tried lots of shampoos and settled on Pantene repair and protect, however like you I still had to wash my hair every day....I could push it to every other day but my roots looked greasy even by the second day. A couple of months ago I tried Aussie Mega Shampoo and since switching I can go three days without washing my hair. It doesn’t dry out my hair and smells lovely too. As someone with a fringe I learned that I can stretch out washing my hair if I just wash my fringe, if like me you have a fringe or even layers framing your face it might be a good trick to stretch out your hair washing.

http://www.boots.com/en/Aussie-Mega-Shampoo-300ml_8829/

Hope this helps

I've tried the Pantene one before and hated it. It always left me feeling like there was still stuff left in my hair no matter how much I rinsed.

I used that Aussie one before and thought it was great, I'd almost forgotten about it. I bought one bottle of it before and when I ran out one of the other Aussie shampoos was on offer in the shop so I picked it up instead thinking it wouldn't be much different. The second one was awful, I think it was the one that says it's for volume (might have been a different one). Made me forget I had such a good experience with the first one. Thanks for reminding me I'll pick up a bottle of that and see if it does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I used that Aussie one before and thought it was great, I'd almost forgotten about it. I bought one bottle of it before and when I ran out one of the other Aussie shampoos was on offer in the shop so I picked it up instead thinking it wouldn't be much different. The second one was awful, I think it was the one that says it's for volume (might have been a different one). Made me forget I had such a good experience with the first one. Thanks for reminding me I'll pick up a bottle of that and see if it does the trick.

Very true, Ive tried a few of their shampoos and this is the only one that I like. I think the volume one actually make my hair really flat :rolleyes::pac:

Sometimes if the water you use, is too hot. Your scalp can sweat and your hair will be oily when it drys.
    Do you lather rinse repeat? You get a better clean that way.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Sometimes if the water you use, is too hot. Your scalp can sweat and your hair will be oily when it drys.
    Do you lather rinse repeat? You get a better clean that way.

I do shampoo twice. I don't think heat is the issue because I had to shower in semi cold water the other day because I forgot to put the heat on for the water beforehand. Same issue was there after my hair had dried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

If you can get away with washing you hair every second day that's not too bad. That's what I do and no shampoo or water makes a difference.

mood wrote: »
    If you can get away with washing you hair every second day that's not too bad. That's what I do and no shampoo or water makes a difference.

Ye I didn't mind that really, it did start to look a bit oily by day two but was totally manageable. Since I've moved house tho my hair looks a little oily straight out of the shower, that's more so the issue I was looking for advice on. It's really annoying I've had to keep my hair tied up for weeks, too self conscious of it to wear it down.

Haven't had a chance to try that Aussie shampoo yet, won't have a chance to get to the shops till the weekend. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Just updating this now because I've only recently managed to fix the problem and it might help anyone else that has encountered a similar issue. For the last 5 months I have tried a million different products to try and fix the issue but nothing worked.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pot of Lush Big Shampoo and it worked perfectly :)

IMG_0222.JPG

I'm delighted because this was driving me mad. I'd wash my hair and straight away after drying it the first 2/3 inches of hair close to my roots would feel oily and look wet.

I tried the Aussie shampoo, I tried the Kerastase clarifying shampoo, I tried completely giving up on conditioner (the ends of my hair are destroyed because of this), I tried only washing it once a week incase washing too often was causing an over production of oil and nothing made a difference. I stuck with each thing for a few weeks too just to make sure I was giving it a chance.

I have no idea why the Lush one works, it's not even supposed to be for oily hair. I picked it up because I started to get a bit of dry scalp from using so many different clarifying products. I saw that it had sea salt and a scrub like texture in the shop so decided to give it a go. it was completely useless as a scalp scrub, can't get the salt down close enough to may scalp to have a scrubby action (turns out that's not even what it's supposed to be for) but it turned out it solved my oily hair issue so delighted. It also really does give huge volume, aside from the split ends my hair has never looked better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

where did you buy this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

where did you buy this?

... In Lush, I imagine.

Yup, the Lush shop near Grafton st. They probably sell it in most of their shops tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

oh lm down in kerry :/ its grand was just curious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

oh lm down in kerry :/ its grand was just curious :)
    You can order it online as well

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/50/Big---330g

The Ireland site isn't up yet so you need to order from the UK one.
    :)

Advertisement