Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with ram

Options
  • 15-04-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi, my PC seems to have developed a problem, at first i seemed to start getting a lot of blue screen crashes, then it would not boot, it wouldd stay on the motherboard splash screen for over a minute before the booting problem
    dR. debug on the mother board is giving error 55 with all the ram in.

So it must be a problem with the ram or ram slots, it works with 2 4Gb sticks in slots 1 and 3, but wont work with all the ram.

I built this in December and it was running fine until now, so is there anything I can try or will I have to RMA the RAM or Motherboard?

spec: ASrock z77 extreme 4
    16GB Gskill ripjaws 4x4Gb
    intel i5 3570k
    samsung ssd
    gigabyte hd7950
    superflower amazon

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

monster1 wrote: »
    Hi, my PC seems to have developed a problem, at first i seemed to start getting a lot of blue screen crashes, then it would not boot, it wouldd stay on the motherboard splash screen for over a minute before the booting problem
    dR. debug on the mother board is giving error 55 with all the ram in.

So it must be a problem with the ram or ram slots, it works with 2 4Gb sticks in slots 1 and 3, but wont work with all the ram.

I built this in December and it was running fine until now, so is there anything I can try or will I have to RMA the RAM or Motherboard?

spec: ASrock z77 extreme 4
    16GB Gskill ripjaws 4x4Gb
    intel i5 3570k
    samsung ssd
    gigabyte hd7950
    superflower amazon

Thanks for any help.

You may need to manually configure the RAM, set the factory timings in the bios. Also use memtest86+ to test each stick one by one, if you have a dodgy one(s) Memtest should find it!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

OK, i will try memtest and see about configuring the RAM, does it make a difference that the 4 sticks were working until now? cheers for the reply

I tested each ram stick in each slot, they all worked in slots 1 2 3, when I test them in slot 4, its giving an error 53, which is no memory i think?

I have 3 ram sticks in now and its working with 12Gb. So the problem has to be the RAM slot? i ran memtest and everything was ok.

It could be the processor too. I once came across an i7 920-based machine where one of the RAM slots didn't work, removing and reseating the processor did the trick. This is because the memory controller is integrated into the processor on newer models.

thanks, I tried that already, and checked for any bent pins, all seemed ok. I will try reseating it again.

• Advertisement

I tried reseating it again, slot 4 is still not working. So is the motherboard at fault?

The motherboard doesnt seem to be detecting the ram on slots 1 and 3 now. So any ideas or will I have to send them back, and will I have to send the Ram or motherboard, or both? cheers

Hi, what should I send back for RMA to hardwareversand, and how do I go about doing it, Do I send the ram and motherboard? its still only detecting 4Gb of ram, plus the Cooler Master Hyper TX 3 EVO is very noisy, making a grinding noise so I may send that back too, cheers for any help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

monster1 wrote: »
    Hi, what should I send back for RMA to hardwareversand, and how do I go about doing it, Do I send the ram and motherboard? its still only detecting 4Gb of ram, plus the Cooler Master Hyper TX 3 EVO is very noisy, making a grinding noise so I may send that back too, cheers for any help

It sounds like the mobo is the issue, try testing each stick individually in slot 1, if memtest passes chances are the RAM sticks are ok. I would send back the mobo. Send back the cooler as well if you find the fan noise is too loud, but make sure there is no dust in it in case that is causing the issue

Nick

Advertisement