Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

army maneuvers at Airport

Options
  • 15-04-2013 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

If any of you have an interest in things army and big f off killing machines take a look down in the Airport Business Park for the next few days a big manouver going on with APCs trucks jeeps all terrain vehicles and guns akimbo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wellboytoo wrote: »
    If any of you have an interest in things army and big f off killing machines take a look down in the Airport Business Park for the next few days a big manouver going on with APCs trucks jeeps all terrain vehicles and guns akimbo.

Irish army?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

mike65 wrote: »
    Irish army?

I think its the north korean army

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

jd83 wrote: »

Kaboom. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

jd83 wrote: »

Kilkenny army more like, this is it folks - Phil Hogans Heroes. They say you always take the airport first.

5vboex.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    Kilkenny army more like, this is it folks - Phil Hogans Heroes. They say you always take the airport first.

I was tempted to post something similar, but I assumed someone else would do the job for me :D I expected someone completely different to throw out that conspiracy! :p

Has someone told Mary Roche yet?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

anyone got pictures of what going on out there or any more info, is it suitable for kids?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

blankAs wrote: »
    anyone got pictures of what going on out there or any more info, is it suitable for kids?

Saw them coming from New Ross - looks savage. Big ass tanks and there about three or four look-outs on the roof. The 'soldiers' are all dressed in combat gear and goggles. Then the usual transport vehicles you see floating with them and the Military Police.

Looked pretty savage IMO, hope the public can view it. Any dates/times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Over the next three days is all I know for now

One more

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Jesus wb2, I'm just home. Brought the kids out after work and got some shock. One of them in a jeep of four stopped me and the 3 kids and started interrogating us like we were members of the Gestapo. Told us to turn around as they were his orders! Bit cruel on the kids, thought he was a bit over the top tbh. They only wanted to see the tanks but they at least enjoyed a bit of drama and a tiny bit of what they managed to see.
    Hope they are a bit more receptive to people tomorrow

• Advertisement

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Jesus wb2, I'm just home. Brought the kids out after work and got some shock. One of them in a jeep of four stopped me and the 3 kids and started interrogating us like we were members of the Gestapo. Told us to turn around as they were his orders! Bit cruel on the kids, thought he was a bit over the top tbh. They only wanted to see the tanks but they at least enjoyed a bit of drama and a tiny bit of what they managed to see.

Had ye those moustaches on?l

Sounds completely daft. Completely over the top reaction - a simple "Private area, sorry sir, please leave" would have done. What exactly do they expect when there is a large number of tanks and army trucks around - its an unusual sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

That's the Irish army for you they love to play soldier's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Met a load of these coming through athy this morn. Assumed they were just from the curragh doing manovers. Wonder were they heading down to Waterford. Imagine they'd have just taken the M9 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Cynic in Me Wonders Is Waterford about to get some BAD News!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

knew they would catch up with me eventually *goes on the run again*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »
    Sounds completely daft. Completely over the top reaction - a simple "Private area, sorry sir, please leave" would have done. What exactly do they expect when there is a large number of tanks and army trucks around - its an unusual sight.

If they were putting on a parade they'd let people know, army manouveres aren't for public viewing.

JPA wrote: »
    If they were putting on a parade they'd let people know, army manouveres aren't for public viewing.

There is no call to take the attitude described.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Had ye those moustaches on?l

No, just the plastic Kalashnikov's!! :D
    JPA wrote: »

The only manoeuvres were the movement of coffee cup to mouth in a jeep. Bit of common sense needed in fairness.

In fairness, maybe my description had a few wings and that's pretty much what he said but what harm were a few kids in a car going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Think we're getting a new air force base :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

south wrote: »
    Think we're getting a new air force base :)

we are in an excellent location as a stopping off point on the way to.. oh, I dont know.. the middle east perhaps..

is feidir linn, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

At least they were taking there job serious and being thorough, but i agree it was a little over the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Could be a major security exercise. Wouldn't blame them for telling you to leave to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Lol. Ben Delaney who plays in the Cove?!

Oddest username ever.

yes

Did he not play your request?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Saw them coming from New Ross - looks savage. Big ass tanks and there about three or four look-outs on the roof. The 'soldiers' are all dressed in combat gear and goggles. Then the usual transport vehicles you see floating with them and the Military Police.

Looked pretty savage IMO, hope the public can view it. Any dates/times?

What is with the quotation marks around soldiers?

You let one car up to have a look, then another one wants to come up and then before you know it you are over run with stupid kids climbing all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If its a proper security / maneuver they may be getting ready to be deployed somewhere then they have to be deadly serious. They prob got an order to treat anyone as a possible hostile and you cannot blame them for the treatment. I dont know if they are off the main road and you have to drive up to the checkpoint but if thats true then you're fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

for operational security(OPSEC) civilians and for there own personnal safety would not be allowed watch or be near the site while defence forces personnel are on tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

I was given a sneak peak of the Army's operational plan for the recovery of an airport from terrorists.

Step 1/ establish and secure perimeter around airport buildings.
    Step 2/ cut power and communications
    Step 3/ pose for photos with Wellboy76 and his kids.
    Step 4/ dispatch all terrorists without mercy

Can't understand why they didn't just stick to the plan ???

Advertisement