Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

army maneuvers at Airport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

TheGormog wrote: »
    I was given a sneak peak of the Army's operational plan for the recovery of an airport from terrorists.

Step 1/ establish and secure perimeter around airport buildings.
    Step 2/ cut power and communications
    Step 3/ pose for photos with Wellboy76 and his kids.
    Step 4/ dispatch all terrorists without mercy

Can't understand why they didn't just stick to the plan ???

Lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I thought it was an exercise to secure an escape route for Howlin and Hogan when the government falls. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭vixdname

spookwoman wrote: »
    If its a proper security / maneuver they may be getting ready to be deployed somewhere then they have to be deadly serious. They prob got an order to treat anyone as a possible hostile and you cannot blame them for the treatment. I dont know if they are off the main road and you have to drive up to the checkpoint but if thats true then you're fair game.

Possible hostiles.... in Waterford airport, are you fukin joking ?
    Who on earth would give a fiddlers what the Irish Army are doing on manoeuvers except the Irish Army themselves.
    Think you're getting a bit carried away with yourself mate.
    Although Waterford is a well know Islamic Terrorist hot bed though, maybe thats why Sgt. Gumbie was so paranoid to the lad earlier who went out with his kids to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If it is a security exercise then why do it if your going to not do it properly? As I said also I dont know if it was off the main road that Sgt Gumbie was stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

vixdname wrote: »
    Possible hostiles.... in Waterford airport, are you fukin joking ?
    Who on earth would give a fiddlers what the Irish Army are doing on manoeuvers except the Irish Army themselves.
    Think you're getting a bit carried away with yourself mate.
    Although Waterford is a well know Islamic Terrorist hot bed though, maybe thats why Sgt. Gumbie was so paranoid to the lad earlier who went out with his kids to the airport.
    vixdname exercises are treated very serious for both personnel and civilian safety, a person just would'nt be able to walk onto a firing range or tactical grounds just because they wanna see the mowag apc's or what other hardware or weapons they may have out there, and if a person is there they are treated as a threat and will be dealt with accordingly as there are eliments out there still that would love to rob themselves a rifle or other equipment to do crimes etc i crap you not. these might seem like mickey mouse to you but in reality to them what they learn here will keep them alive in lebanon or where ever else they may be going

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What is with the quotation marks around soldiers?

Not sure what exactly we call them, I know very little about the 'army' (if that's what they go by, or is it just Defense Forces). Wasn't meant to be a dig, they could be fighting wars everyday for all I know.
    You let one car up to have a look, then another one wants to come up and then before you know it you are over run with stupid kids climbing all over the place.

Clever terrorist tactic :P No, I understand that completely and I wasn't suggesting they open and do tours. Just seems, if the original poster is describing things correct, that they may have been a little rude.
    spookwoman wrote: »
    If its a proper security / maneuver they may be getting ready to be deployed somewhere then they have to be deadly serious. They prob got an order to treat anyone as a possible hostile and you cannot blame them for the treatment. I dont know if they are off the main road and you have to drive up to the checkpoint but if thats true then you're fair game.

There at the top of a business park. There are numerous businesses near where they are 'stationed' (or based, or whatever) and numerous businesses all around it. To be fair, they seem to have taken all or most of the units in one particular area of the park with its own road up to it within the park.
    for operational security(OPSEC) civilians and for there own personnal safety would not be allowed watch or be near the site while defence forces personnel are on tactics

Maybe its not the best place to have a training exercise? Don't expect them to have tours or put people at risk, but a bit of a personality doesn't go astray :)

Sully wrote: »
    Maybe its not the best place to have a training exercise? Don't expect them to have tours or put people at risk, but a bit of a personality doesn't go astray :)
    when it comes to tactics sully its serious, people can and have been hurt in the past from mistakes, they use smoke grenades, flash bangs and sometimes flares along with blank ammunition during exercise's and if some joe soap who knows nothing about whats goin on decides "oh i'd like a look up there at the soldiers" and happens to be in the way of a flash bang when it explodes could at best be deafened or hurt from the blast from it!!

if anyone wants to be hands on shooting and throwing grenades i'd suggest go home and play battlefield on your ps3 because a tactical training operation is'nt the place for ye to stick your nose into

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

when it comes to tactics sully its serious, people can and have been hurt in the past from mistakes, they use smoke grenades, flash bangs and sometimes flares along with blank ammunition during exercise's and if some joe soap who knows nothing about whats goin on decides "oh i'd like a look up there at the soldiers" and happens to be in the way of a flash bang when it explodes could at best be deafened or hurt from the blast from it!!

if anyone wants to be hands on shooting and throwing grenades i'd suggest go home and play battlefield on your ps3 because a tactical training operation is'nt the place for ye to stick your nose into

Where did I suggest that the army allow them enter the site and get involved in the tactics? Where did I suggest he go "Ah gwan, go in there and see what the boys are at. Sure, pick up an awl rifle there and join the fun".

Your in a public area that access to the site from the public. Its right beside the airport and there is a gate from the airport very close to the 'action'. The lads don't need to be rude to members of the public. Its not like they went to him "OI! I pay your wages buddy, so ya better let me in or ya will face the sack!"

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Sully wrote: »
    Where did I suggest that the army allow them enter the site and get involved in the tactics? Where did I suggest he go "Ah gwan, go in there and see what the boys are at. Sure, pick up an awl rifle there and join the fun".

Your in a public area that access to the site from the public. Its right beside the airport and there is a gate from the airport very close to the 'action'. The lads don't need to be rude to members of the public. Its not like they went to him "OI! I pay your wages buddy, so ya better let me in or ya will face the sack!"

It was late, there was nothing going on, no other cars around and 4 lads were sitting in a van like extras from a father ted episode. There ws no checkpoint and if there was supposed to be one they weren't doing a good job then really. And this was Waterford airport not the Lebanon. Bit of cop on wouldn't go astray

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭twistables

for operational security(OPSEC) civilians and for there own personnal safety would not be allowed watch or be near the site while defence forces personnel are on tactics

Spoken from a man that took him three attempts to get in and then left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

All this fuss over country wide military and counter terrorism excerises

Its not just the PDF involved several police and military units from around Europe are taking part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

mike65 wrote: »
    Kilkenny army more like, this is it folks - Phil Hogans Heroes. They say you always take the airport first.

5vboex.jpg

Dad's army so?

wellboy76 wrote: »
    It was late, there was nothing going on, no other cars around and 4 lads were sitting in a van like extras from a father ted episode. There ws no checkpoint and if there was supposed to be one they weren't doing a good job then really. And this was Waterford airport not the Lebanon. Bit of cop on wouldn't go astray

Maybe they had to put their mindsets in the situation like they were in Iraq, where kids may be used as bombers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Well they're gone since 0730 this am anyway .

twistables wrote: »
    Spoken from a man that took him three attempts to get in and then left!
    mind your business!!

vixdname exercises are treated very serious for both personnel and civilian safety, a person just would'nt be able to walk onto a firing range or tactical grounds just because they wanna see the mowag apc's or what other hardware or weapons they may have out there, and if a person is there they are treated as a threat and will be dealt with accordingly as there are eliments out there still that would love to rob themselves a rifle or other equipment to do crimes etc i crap you not. these might seem like mickey mouse to you but in reality to them what they learn here will keep them alive in lebanon or where ever else they may be going

Dont be ridiculous, big time criminal gangs dont attempt to rob weapons off armed soldiers when on exercises, they get their weapons freely on the black market and often receive them as "Free Gifts" when a decent deal is done.
    Who in their right minds would try and rob weapons off the army during an excercise ? Dont come back and say "You'd be surprised" because thats a cop out, there is no one nowadays going to attempt that.
    Maybe in older IRA days it may have been an option, but an option none the less that was never successfully attempted if ever.

I never underestimate the skill, professionalism and bravery of our soldiers, they have been sent to dangerous places in the world and every credit they get they deserve but why use a public airport where many people pass by and through regularly if they dont want public attention.
    Why not use the Curragh, its desolate, bleak and isolated location is ideal for any "Private" maneuvers they need to carry out.

Dont be ridiculous, big time criminal gangs dont attempt to rob weapons off armed soldiers when on exercises, they get their weapons freely on the black market and often receive them as "Free Gifts" when a decent deal is done.
    Who in their right minds would try and rob weapons off the army during an excercise ? Dont come back and say "You'd be surprised" because thats a cop out, there is no one nowadays going to attempt that.
    Maybe in older IRA days it may have been an option, but an option none the less that was never successfully attempted if ever.

I never underestimate the skill, professionalism and bravery of our soldiers, they have been sent to dangerous places in the world and every credit they get they deserve but why use a public airport where many people pass by and through regularly if they dont want public attention.
    Why not use the Curragh, its desolate, bleak and isolated location is ideal for any "Private" maneuvers they need to carry out.

It was a counterterrorism and military exercise it had to be held at at civilian location's Waterford airport was only one location used ,there was locations country wide,
    The curragh is great for large scale military exercises ,but makes no sense using for training against a terror attack against civilian targets ,ie airport's, train stations ,ferry ports ,power stations , retail locations

Gatling wrote: »
    It was a counterterrorism and military exercise it had to be held at at civilian location's Waterford airport was only one location used ,there was locations country wide,
    The curragh is great for large scale military exercises ,but makes no sense using for training against a terror attack against civilian targets ,ie airport's, train stations ,ferry ports ,power stations , retail locations

Now that makes more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Flybe making some security demands on the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Theres an article all about it in todays Star, it was some sort of terrorism exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The only question I would have about this excercise is that any terrorist who pitched up in the Airport Business Park with intentions of causing mass destruction would take one look at the place and assume another, deadly efficient, organisation got there before them.

shockwave wrote: »
    Theres an article all about it in todays Star, it was some sort of terrorism exercise.

Wow the star are quick

you would be very surprised!!! maybe a absolute tool would try it, but they don't have armed sentry's with real ammo while on tactics just for the fun of things!!! they are there to protect the weapons not the personnel!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Theres an article on it on the Defence Forces Facebook Page . Really interesting.. Good use of the airport if you consider the scenario that the people training will face around the world on UN duties. The professionalism and level of training that the army here is second to none. They're trusted worldwide. Fair play to them.
    Exercise Capstone took place last week

In the scenario, similar to real life operations that have taken place in Liberia and Kosovo, 20 recently commissioned officers and 39 Two Star Privates had to take control of Waterford airport using 15 Mowag APC's and conventional Infantry Weapons, and secure it for the safe passage of a VIP. All concerned were tested in military decision making and tactics in a pressurised environment, to prepare them for future deployment to troubled hot-spots around the globe. Well done to all who took part and we wish you all the best in your future careers!

311003_10151526771816166_966869189_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

From the Irish defense Forces FB page... pretty cool...

Edit: Trotter beat me to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Cavalry corps were on their way to the Airport today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Yes they are back for 3 days big exercise , think you will see them in Dunmore and Bonmahon over the next 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

taken yesterday APC's and explosives disposal lorries coming off the bridge onto the quay

10245338_599911573439087_7238515681230009178_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

The picture Trotter posted looks so photoshopped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

They are very predictable - where here at same time last year!!!
    Saw them drive down Johnstown yesterday - pretty impressive in such a narrow Street. Imagine what its like in hostile situation - scary

Advertisement