Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Manchester compare to Dublin?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

We are thinking about moving to Manchester from Dublin. I want to know how the city compares?

Manchester ticks all the boxes for us money wise, house wise, job wise but does the city stand up to Dublin? I'm talking entertainment, pubs, shopping, bringing children up, crime etc

We love Dublin but feel like a fresh challenge, we considered London but we'd be trading in our 3 bed house for a box flat, and Manchester seems a good compromise providing its not a miserable place!

Another thing I like about England is we can easily move to other sizeable cities should we have to for work etc.we kinda feel like we're stuck in a bubble in Dublin/ Ireland

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I think Manchester is a great city. It has gone through a lot of regeneration over the last 20 years and has a lot of opportunities. It's probably the third largest city in the UK but in may ways it's the second city. Also some of the best countryside in the UK is around Manchester.

Also Dublin is probably more like Manchester or Birmingham than London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

I've been a student in Manchester the last year and 1/2, I've only been to Dublin about 10 times though. There's a lot of large cities within a short train/coach ride, I've never had any problems with crime though there are a lot of muggings reported on the MEN website, I suppose it's the same everywhere though. There is a lot of pubs in the city centre including Irish pubs, in terms of entertainment there are very large cinemas, a good number of concert venues though the prices to watch live sport are very expensive. I'm often in London which actually feels like a different country if i'm honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I find Manchester to be a much scummier place than Dublin. Any city has it's good and bad areas but Manchester seems to have a much higher proportion of bad areas than most. The amount of times I've nearly been assaulted on the metrolink just for minding my own business is ridiculous. People here seem to be always looking for a fight. Of course that's a generalisation and doesn't apply to everyone or perhaps it's bad luck on my part but I'd take Dublin over Manchester any day.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

Never lived in Manchester but have been many times for weekend stays. Never had any trouble whatsoever. Found the people to be sound and friendly. Brilliant selection of pubs and clubs to suit any taste in the city centre, from modern disco type bars to proper aul boy spit on the floor type pubs. If you are into sport you have rugby, cricket and obviously soccer with United and city. Obviously I have not been to many of the suburbs but the ones I have been to probably Didsbury would be the most suitable for a family.
    I would totally disagree that it is a far 'scummier' place than Dublin. In fact I plan to live there some day myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

I find Manchester to be a much scummier place than Dublin. Any city has it's good and bad areas but Manchester seems to have a much higher proportion of bad areas than most. The amount of times I've nearly been assaulted on the metrolink just for minding my own business is ridiculous. People here seem to be always looking for a fight. Of course that's a generalisation and doesn't apply to everyone or perhaps it's bad luck on my part but I'd take Dublin over Manchester any day.

you just described Dublin man haha

• Advertisement
Advertisement