Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Summer List

• 15-04-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Thinking of doing up the bike now that the weather is getting nicer, and I've a load of ideas (not that she isnt already perfect), but not that much money to spend. I've been doing a bit of research online, but I dont think you can ever really trust reviews on websites, so I figured I'd throw some questions out here.

The r125 is a gorgeous bike, but the sound is a little lacking. Pricing exhausts, and it's looking around 300+ euro. Not really in my price range for one part. Anyone any advice on making the current one a little louder? I'm not looking for anything monstrous, but you can barely hear the bike at all as it is. Or else anyone know anywhere that do carbon fibre exhausts good value?

Going to buy two new wheels for it, and have them sprayed gold. Think it will look gorgeous with the blue and white. Keeping the originals in case I actually hate it. :pac: Suggestions on places that do powder coating? Tallaght is the obvious one, but I've heard bad things...

Other bits and pieces are just the brake and clutch levers, foot pegs, etc, but I figure I could pick those up fairly handy.

Basically I'm looking for things to do on a perfect bike. Low mileage on it, so theres no engine work, or any mechanical work to be done on it, so I'm looking more at the cosmetic side of things.

Throw websites, store addresses, suggestions, tips etc at me.

Cheers. :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pipz wrote: »
    Thinking of doing up the bike now that the weather is getting nicer, and I've a load of ideas (not that she isnt already perfect), but not that much money to spend. I've been doing a bit of research online, but I dont think you can ever really trust reviews on websites, so I figured I'd throw some questions out here.

The r125 is a gorgeous bike, but the sound is a little lacking. Pricing exhausts, and it's looking around 300+ euro. Not really in my price range for one part. Anyone any advice on making the current one a little louder? I'm not looking for anything monstrous, but you can barely hear the bike at all as it is. Or else anyone know anywhere that do carbon fibre exhausts good value?

Going to buy two new wheels for it, and have them sprayed gold. Think it will look gorgeous with the blue and white. Keeping the originals in case I actually hate it. :pac: Suggestions on places that do powder coating? Tallaght is the obvious one, but I've heard bad things...

Other bits and pieces are just the brake and clutch levers, foot pegs, etc, but I figure I could pick those up fairly handy.

Basically I'm looking for things to do on a perfect bike. Low mileage on it, so theres no engine work, or any mechanical work to be done on it, so I'm looking more at the cosmetic side of things.

Throw websites, store addresses, suggestions, tips etc at me.

Cheers. :P
    Personally I'd prefer to just ride it!

My Summer list:
    1. Make it to mainland Europe.
    2. Make it home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wheels will cost more than the exhaust. You'll have to choose between sounds or looks.

If you haven't priced levers and rear sets yet you're in for a shock. You can buy cheap ones from EBay, but I've heard of some snapping when really needed.

The best mod would be braided brake hoses, looks good and ads safety. Perhaps a set of crash bungs, as most people buy them a few days too late ;-)

Save the rest for go juice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

AgileMyth wrote: »

My Summer list:
    2. Make it home!!

That would be mine too. Would give my left ball to spend 2 weeks touring europe. Something like this http://goo.gl/maps/eNpPe

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

My Summer list:
    2. Make it home!!

Well that goes without saying. :P. I'd love to even get around Ireland, but that'd take a few days more than I can get off work, so I'll be making do with a few weekend long spins.

I guess the reason I put up the post is I've never done up a bike before, so I'm just looking for advice on bits and pieces. I know nothing about it, but best way to learn is to ask questions isnt it? :P It's all just ideas, but sure thats how everything starts. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

On the wheels, I used these guys, http://wefixalloywheels.ie/, for a cracked wheel and have no complaints. (They do powder coating as well :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Anyway you can just take out the rear resonator and baffle to make her louder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Give Gizmo a bell what he cant do with an exhaust aint worth doing....quality work and nice lad to boot. I have his number if you need it, dont wanna stick it up in public forums.

Pipz wrote: »
    Well that goes without saying. :P. I'd love to even get around Ireland, but that'd take a few days more than I can get off work, so I'll be making do with a few weekend long spins.
    Sure call into me up in Sligo. I'll show ya around. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Cienciano wrote: »
    That would be mine too. Would give my left ball to spend 2 weeks touring europe. Something like this http://goo.gl/maps/eNpPe

I'm currently pricing a trip.
    Ferry to north Spain and go south, across north Africa, up through Italy and france and back to London. Around 4k miles.

We shall see...

Ferry to north Spain and go south, across north Africa, up through Italy and france and back to London. Around 4k miles.

We shall see...
    What sort of money you talking?

• Advertisement

What sort of money you talking?

So far fuel and ferries are nearly 1K GBP
    So add ontop of that food and accommodation for ~12 days.

Id happily camp in Europe and find somewhere for a night when crossing Algeria and Tunisia. France is sound for camping. I need to look into Spain and Italy.

My alternate is to just go through France and to south Italy and back up through Switzerland, Germany and France. Save cash on ferries and its a bit shorter.

Pricey holiday but you'll never regret it!

I'm looking to go abroad for the first time so will probably stay fairly close. Have a mate in Belgium so thats the obvious place to go. Can leave my house in Sligo in the early morning and be in his house for dinner! Take my time then on the return route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pricey holiday but you'll never regret it!

I'm looking to go abroad for the first time so will probably stay fairly close. Have a mate in Belgium so thats the obvious place to go. Can leave my house in Sligo in the early morning and be in his house for dinner! Take my time then on the return route.

Belgium is relatively flat. If your going to Europe at least head for somewhere with decent mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

We shall see...

The Maroc-Algeria border may still be closed. In Libya tourists needed to pre-arrange an invitation and engage a guide. Maybe this has changed. The Horizons Unlimited site should give you up to date information.
    But don't be disappointed - a trip to Maroc alone will be a great adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

In the same boat currently sorting a trip to mainland europe with 4 lads. Well Id say 2 lads and 2 handbags......

Soz for the hijack....

Back on topic.

Its a small cc bike are you planning on keeping it for much longer? Dont put mad money into it as you rarely get the €€€€ back when selling.

The Maroc-Algeria border may still be closed. In Libya tourists needed to pre-arrange an invitation and engage a guide. Maybe this has changed. The Horizons Unlimited site should give you up to date information.
    But don't be disappointed - a trip to Maroc alone will be a great adventure.

It is. I would take a ferry from Alicante, Span to Oran or Algiers in Algeria.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Belgium is relatively flat. If your going to Europe at least head for somewhere with decent mountains.
    I know what you mean but time and money are going to be in short supply as I've another non-bike holiday to take already.

This year its just about doing it. Getting there and back. I'll get a longer trip in early next year.

If you've never been to Switzerland go there. The scenery is definitely amongst the best in the whole world. Lived there for a few months before. Would love to tour the place on a bike.

Spose you're right Wonda. Might go a bit smaller and put some money away for a longer trip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Give Gizmo a shout for a cheap custom end can (PM me if you need contact details).

You'll get a decent thump out of that single cylinder 125 with the right exhaust ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Norway is another country I'd love to go to on the bike.
    But yeah, Switzerland looks amazing. Google image Switzerland scenery, looks class.
    Mate of mine tours a lot and he has a small tent and sleeping bag for touring and throws it up just off the road for when he's stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

did you ever get the wheels powdercoated OP? I want to get mine done hopefully and want to get recommendations for good companies

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Pipz instead of spending loads of money on your bike would you think about getting another one with a few more cc's? I only say this as I used to have a CBR125 but when I got a bigger bike it brought a new lease of life to my riding. I also totally agree about doing some big trips to europe etc - but big miles on a 125 can be very challenging. Had you considered an upgrade at all?

@Sonic85 I ended up not getting the wheels done, it turned out to be a little bit more expensive than it was worth.

@Zascar I was considering upgrading, but my licence is still restricted so the most I can get is a 250. Was looking at a 250 ninja, but I dont see much point in upgrading that slightly now, and then have to upgrade again in a year because I get bored with that one. In saying that, I love my bike, so don't think I'd sell it even if I was to buy a bigger bike, so that makes money for an upgrade a bit of a struggle too.

My summer list has changed to

1: Ride bike.

In a cast until the middle of July and cant operate the bike at all! Out of work for that time too so won't be able to afford to get away this year. Next year!

Might manage a weekend away somewhere between I get the cast off and I have to go back to work!

Advertisement