Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CARSEAT WENT FOR A HOP

Options
  • 15-04-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

HI all, I had an old car seat, I had it covered in plastic and put it up on top of the bin in the front garden so the baby wasn't at it. I had it put by to give to someone .Someone only came into my Garden and went and Robbed it.:( Now, it wasn't in good condition, but I cant believe that anyone would just take it. Well I can, but I cant if you know what I mean.

Anyway , just thought Id let yous know to be extra careful even with toys in the Garden. Nothing is safe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

In fairness ... if it was on top of your bin, any passer-by would have assumed you didn't want/need it anymore, and probably thought they might be doing you a favour by taking it?!

I could not find it in myself to resent someone who was so badly in need of a car seat, that they'd steal it from another person's bin. They must have been really desperate.

If I were in your position, I'd just be happy that it's (hopefully) gone to a good home, and that you clearly are lucky enough to have better circumstances than theirs.

(Also, it's basic common sense not to leave possessions lying around in your garden. Whether placed on top of bins or not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

No, I leave toys in my Garden, just because you can see them, and reach them doesn't mean you can take them.
    Its illegal to remove things even from a skip .
    Had they knocked and asked Id have said yes, please take it, but explain it was a bit dirty. No problem, its the brass neck of them.

Plus, Its also the horrible idea that anyone would steal from me. I would give you the eye out of my head if you needed it.

Maybe they didn't see it as stealing.

Maybe they saw the seat, and that you were throwing out something that they really really badly needed. (Fair enough, you were planning on giving it to someone else - but if it was on top of your bins, how would they know that?!) And they decided to put it to good use, rather than having it dumped.

Maybe when they knocked, you weren't home. But they thought that perhaps, as another mother, you might understand their position.

You're at no loss from this, and I honestly can't understand why you're so annoyed about it.

Maybe they didn't see it as stealing.

Maybe they saw the seat, and that you were throwing out something that they really really badly needed. (Fair enough, you were planning on giving it to someone else - but if it was on top of your bins, how would they know that?!) And they decided to put it to good use, rather than having it dumped.

Maybe when they knocked, you weren't home. But they thought that perhaps, as another mother, you might understand their position.

You're at no loss from this, and I honestly can't understand why you're so annoyed about it.

There are way too many maybes there. Maybe it was taken as it was a MAXICOSI and cost a few bob, maybe they will sell it on. They wouldn't have had time to inspect it? My husband was in the house all day.
    I put something on the bin out of reach of my daughter that was playing in the Garden. I was home all day .Her other toys are out there. Maybe , that other mother wants Aoifes little tykes car, that she loves, but it wouldn't give her the right to take it. You just cant walk into peoples gardens and take without asking.
    I think the reason I am upset is because someone did. They took , they came into my Garden and Took. Like I said , if they had asked, Knowing me ,Id have fitted it for them while I was at it , and made them a cup of tea. And ,I have lost something, I feel less secure in leaving my daughters toy in the Garden. They aren't expensive toys, but her BEEP BEEP , is hers and she loves it, but I don't have a side entrance and would have to bring them in and out everyday, weather permitting.:p
    I wouldn't do it, I don't think anyone else should. Just ask,

As you just said, you leave other items in your garden. Someone came into your garden, and ignored other items that were probably more expensive and in much better condition, and instead took the one thing that was placed on your bin.

It's obvious that their interpretation was that you were done with it anyways.

Any sensible parent does not leave valuable items out in the garden, day or night, without supervision. No matter how safe the area. If your daughter's 'beep beep' gets stolen from your garden, then it's at least partially your own fault for leaving it there.

I'm actually astonished at your naivety - and I'm from the country! Even back there, we took sensible precautions and kept valuables in the house - even in a rural low-crime area. It's just basic common sense ... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What a cheek! Even if someone thought the car seat was being thrown out they should have knocked to check first. Going into someone's garden and taking something -even if it's on top of a bin - is still theft.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I can totally understand why you are raging. Someone came into your garden and stole something. I would be seeing red as well.

However in this case I think it might have more to do with the fact that they thought you were throwing it away, rather than pure theft - maybe.

Now of course to do that they would still need a brass neck to come in and help themselves without asking. But they might be cheeky buggers and feckin eejits who need a swift kick in the backside, rather than pure thieving scum. My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The last time I had a green skip, we had it set up in our car port. Took a 5 minute break and people were picking through it. I wouldn't have given a shít if they'd just asked first but they came on my property and started taking stuff. It's the height of cheekiness even if it seems obvious things are there to be thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Have you reported this theft to the guards? I'm pretty sure it will be covered either under your house contents insurance or alternatively somewhere in your comp motor insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it will be covered either under your house contents insurance or alternatively somewhere in your comp motor insurance.
    Highly unlikely if left on top of a bin and accessible to anyone.

• Advertisement

No I'm not the type to claim anything , like I said, I would have fitted it for them had they have asked.
    I just HATE the idea that anyone would TAKE from me, when I would give .:)
    Not TO WORRY

we have CCTV for the garden on at night , a full alarm system, a dog, and did I mention my family are all locksmiths so its easier to get into my house then to get out. THANKS DAD.
    :D

Advertisement