Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N C T failure

Options
  • 15-04-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Ya peeps, I had a problem with my NCTest. I read the report wrong, done the wrong job took the car back and it passed. My neice took her car in, failed, took the report to the mechanic who did the work when the car was taken back it failed. He put rear wishbone axle bushes on the report but meant rear axle bearing. And our mechanic should have know? this. So then the so called complaints procedure amounts to refuting everything and refusing any further correspondence. Nice
    So I want to collect all your NCT stories good or bad. I am taking 1/10 on uncomprelementry. Thanks to anyone who bothers. Sweargen.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Oh no, not again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Different testers & different test centres. All variables that make some cars pass and others fail. Sometimes they miss certain things and sometimes they flag things others testers/centres let through.

Call me cynical but I'm sure Applus+ (a private company who want to ensure they get the contract renewed in 2019) have a 'quota' of cars to fail so that the stats they present to the RSA (or whoever) says we found x% of these x year cars defective and x% passed on the 2nd attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

Sorry but how is this a Rip-off.

Yes they make mistakes as does everyone but that doesn’t make it a Rip-off.

The NCT has taken thousands of faulty cars off the road which could have saved countless lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sorry but how is this a Rip-off.

Yes they make mistakes as does everyone but that doesn’t make it a Rip-off.

The NCT has taken thousands of faulty cars off the road which could have saved countless lives.
    It is a rip off when their mistakes cost people money for retests and repairs which were not needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Its a bushing. it's tested by checking for movement with a pry bar so it can still pass or fail depending on who tests it. Dosent mean that the repair is not needed,

Do you rather wait for the nct to tell you to fix it, or fix it before it fails? i prefer my suspension to be in safe working order rather then, "that will do"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

MBSnr wrote: »
    Different testers & different test centres. All variables that make some cars pass and others fail. Sometimes they miss certain things and sometimes they flag things others testers/centres let through.

Call me cynical but I'm sure Applus+ (a private company who want to ensure they get the contract renewed in 2019) have a 'quota' of cars to fail so that the stats they present to the RSA (or whoever) says we found x% of these x year cars defective and x% passed on the 2nd attempt.
    total and utter BS

If you car is roadworthy, it passes. If its not, it fails. - Its all printed out for you.

A decent mechanic should ahve checked all aspects of the OP's car and made sure it was road worthy.

If you broke down on the motorway due to this fault, you'd be blaming them for not failing you then.

Change the mechanic instead of blaming the testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

sweargen wrote: »
    I read the report wrong, done the wrong job took the car back and it passed.
    You didn't say what the issue was here.
    sweargen wrote: »
    My neice took her car in, failed, took the report to the mechanic who did the work when the car was taken back it failed. He put rear wishbone axle bushes on the report but meant rear axle bearing. And our mechanic should have know? this.
    This is clearly the tester's fault and imo should entitle you to a free retest once amended.

I fail to see the rip-off angle here actually. More a consumer issue.

sandin wrote: »
    total and utter BS

If you car is roadworthy, it passes. If its not, it fails. - Its all printed out for you.

A decent mechanic should ahve checked all aspects of the OP's car and made sure it was road worthy.

If you broke down on the motorway due to this fault, you'd be blaming them for not failing you then.

Change the mechanic instead of blaming the testers.

I defer to your obviously higher knowledge in these matters. Personal experience of mine and 100s of others is irrelevant when your argument is put forward in such an eloquent manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

MBSnr wrote: »
    I defer to your obviously higher knowledge in these matters. Personal experience of mine and 100s of others is irrelevant when your argument is put forward in such an eloquent manner.

you're given the report, it states very clearly where the car has failed. Its printed in black and white. - What more do you want?

you may not like it, but the test is set up to ensure YOUR safety and ensure your car is fit to be on a public road - if your car fails, then they are bring to your attention somethign that needs to be corrected for o=your own safety.

Maybe you don't value safety much - I do.

sandin wrote: »
    you're given the report, it states very clearly where the car has failed. Its printed in black and white. - What more do you want?

you may not like it, but the test is set up to ensure YOUR safety and ensure your car is fit to be on a public road - if your car fails, then they are bring to your attention somethign that needs to be corrected for o=your own safety.

Maybe you don't value safety much - I do.

Not what I said. I never implied anything about safety or that I disagreed with the testing requirements. I said that variables between testing centres (testers, equipment calibration and other factors) will lead to a very small percentage of cars which should fail actually pass and vice-versa, cars that should pass be failed. You would have to admit and agree that human error and other factors gives a variable percentage of change?

I've first hand experience of a car failing in one test centre and passing in another without remedial action (Emissions). Another car I owned failed on a rear centre seatbelt fray. It had passed previous NCTs prior to that with the same issue, as it wasn't picked up. The OP has the same. That's 3 instances of variable factors as an example to you. So are my examples of actual occurrences still BS?

Secondly I mentioned that it could be construed that it is in the companies best interests to fail a certain quota. Of course that's my opinion on the matter and I prefaced it with "call me cynical". You can call BS on this one if you want.... I don't mind ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 sweargen

As I wrote He put rear wishbone axle bushes on the report. but bitching is not what im interested in. NCT is owned by a Spanish company called Applus PLC they run vehicle testing all around the world as well as other interests. Ireland is the only country that has granted them a monopoly, that is complete control over a captive customer base, there is literally no where else to go. Our exalted leaders granted them complete freedom for this lucrative contract I would guess for our own safety. Apparently they used Public Procurement Laws, I don't know what this is yet, but it will be legal. Ok, the main points, 1)No other country has granted them a monopoly.2) A multinational company is in business to make money, not to make the world a better place.3)Every and Any monopoly two things are certain Poor Quality Of Goods,Poor Service and high prices. Fact look it up. Applus are now into their 2nd ten year contract posting very healthy profits in Ireland. Because they have no competitors, no incentive to provide a good service or customer service. So lets not write lumps out of each other and lets collect horror stories. Thankyou Sweargen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I don't get this, if it failed for a reason then the only thing they can check when it goes back in is that thing which it failed for. If they put down that it failed for the rear wishbone axle bushes, then, when you put it in for a retest, they can only check for the rear wishbone axle bushes.

Who made the mistake, the NCT or the mechanic that fixed it?

does nobody want to try and do something useful. I'm all for car safety but as things stand these are serious questions. Poor service, inadequate training and a complaints procedure that is time consuming and seems to amount to being told your wrong and that they don accept any liability and they dont dont want to talk to you anymore. All I am trying to do is collect peoples experiences to get some idea what is happening nationally. I do think road safety is very important but the standard of inspection varies greatly even within sole centers never mind nationally. This strikes me as Not Very Safe and a very important issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Always wondered If your car fails, does that not make it illegal and dangerous as its not road worthy to drive away in it??

I think if the car is seriously dangerous they impound the car. I read somewhere that they buy and sell 2nd hand cars. And don't forget you can fail on an untidy car boot / car interior although it has been proved that they will pick up €50 euro notes from the glove compartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

reprazant wrote: »
    I don't get this, if it failed for a reason then the only thing they can check when it goes back in is that thing which it failed for. If they put down that it failed for the rear wishbone axle bushes, then, when you put it in for a retest, they can only check for the rear wishbone axle bushes.

Who made the mistake, the NCT or the mechanic that fixed it?

What this guy said, if they put wishbone bushes on the cert as the fail reason, then he can't fail you for bearings the next time your bring the car in.

They are a shower, I'm all for safety and it is great to see the improvement in car standards but the cost involved is sickening and now I have to put my car through every year :mad:

Advertisement