Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mechanic needed

• 15-04-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. My regular mechanic seems to have fallen off the face of the earth and I need a new chain fitted in a hurry. Am based in dublin 12. Any recommendations for where to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

I'm in the exact same boat, got my first bike and looking for somewhere to give a good once over. Seen a place near the borza on the cromwelsfort road, not sure of the name, but it's the only bike place around the area I have seen.

I wonder if cotter's work on bikes? Heard Bikeworld does, but apparently they are quite expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Great guy I use on Sundrive Road if he would be of any use to you? I can PM you his number if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Soundman wrote: »
    Great guy I use on Sundrive Road if he would be of any use to you? I can PM you his number if you want.

Is that Dave you're talking about? If so, he's a top class mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Cheers soundman would be great if you could pm me.

Is that Dave you're talking about? If so, he's a top class mechanic.

That would be Dave, yeah. Sound bloke and a great mechanic.
    bluefinger wrote: »
    Cheers soundman would be great if you could pm me.

PM on its way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Could I get that too? Cheers soundman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Lads you will be charged at least an hours labour for just a chain on top of parts etc. You dont need a "special" tool to fix the chain on. I was shown on sat and its not that hard just a little time consuming.

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Could I get that too? Cheers soundman

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Lads you will be charged at least an hours labour for just a chain on top of parts etc. You dont need a "special" tool to fix the chain on. I was shown on sat and its not that hard just a little time consuming.
    Depends on what kind of chain you are using, endless with rivet or a clip type.
    You will need a riveting tool for the endless kind, unless you like smashed cases or worse.
    And pressing a rivet on needs a little care, too much pressure and the link will be stiff too little and the sideplate can come off causing the chain to break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

How do you rivet a chain without a special tool? Unless you use a clip type to link...which is not recommended as they are more likely come apart (supposedly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

rat_race wrote: »
    How do you rivet a chain without a special tool? Unless you use a clip type to link...which is not recommended as they are more likely come apart (supposedly).

Brute force, a couple of hammers, pliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

rat_race wrote: »

You tube it....hundreds of vids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

You tube it....hundreds of vids.

Mehhh...I have a rivetting tool. Cheap enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Bit of a travel for you but The Italian Centre off the NCR are top class, you won't find a better man to work on your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Another +1 for Dave

He sorted out my bros every time I bolloxed it up. A great lad to deal with too, glad to hear he's still in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Can you pm me his number as well. Thanks!

He's getting a lot of work out of this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

That would be Dave, yeah. Sound bloke and a great mechanic.

PM on its way.

Soundman could you PM me his number too, I've used him before and agree that he's an excellent mechanic . My bike needs a service soon but I lost his number during a software update a few months ago.

The Don wrote: »
    Can you pm me his number as well. Thanks!

He's getting a lot of work out of this thread :)
    RATM wrote: »
    Soundman could you PM me his number too, I've used him before and agree that he's an excellent mechanic . My bike needs a service soon but I lost his number during a software update a few months ago.

PM'd you both

RosieJoe wrote: »
    PM'd you both

Cheers for jumping in Rosie. :) Only checking in now so hadn't seen the two lads asking.

Sure what are you doing with Dave's number? You're a Wickla boy. ;)

Cheers for jumping in Rosie. :) Only checking in now so hadn't seen the two lads asking.

Sure what are you doing with Dave's number? You're a Wickla boy. ;)
    Dave did a bit of work for me years ago. Went out of his way to get a threaded rear axle off the bike without any heat. He spent the night soaking it and hammering it out. Did a great job, sorted it out for a great price

• Advertisement

Sounds like Dave. Doesn't take the easy way out if there is a chance of it causing damage. I'm only trying to wind you up since I don't think you know who I am. ;)

(Says he who is hoping he knows who you are. Haha)

Sounds like Dave. Doesn't take the easy way out if there is a chance of it causing damage. I'm only trying to wind you up since I don't think you know who I am. ;)

(Says he who is hoping he knows who you are. Haha)

Only twigged now Dave, you fecker

:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I highly recommend Robbie in MotoTechnik, he's in the kcr industrial estate. Qualified Ducati mechanic but he does all bikes. Very reasonably priced and trustworthy which is the main thing.

Advertisement