Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help on the grammar in this sentence please :)

Options
  • 15-04-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

So "orgue" is feminine in the plural so basically I want to say "it is one of the biggest organs in the world" - which is correct?

"C'est l'un des plus grandes orgues"

Or

"C'est l'un des orgues les plus grandes du monde"

I'm confused as to what order they go in too! Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I actually didn't know this and checked this one out ... thank you - I have learned something today :D

http://ameliorersonfrancais.com/grammaire/genres/amour-delice-orgue/
    Étrangement ce n’est que lorsqu’il est question d’un seul instrument et de ses composantes que le pluriel du mot orgue est féminin. Lorsque plusieurs instruments sont impliqués, le masculin est de rigueur. Cette particularité est due, en partie, au fait que, jusqu’au XVIIIe siècle, le nom orgue était de genre féminin.

Ex. : Ne manquez pas d’admirer les majestueuses orgues de la cathédrale.
    Ex. : Cet atelier rempli d’orgues brillants laissait l’acheteur sans voix.

i.e. if one speaks of one organ and its components, the word used for organ is feminine plural. whereas if one speaks of several organs, the word used is masculine plural.

As a consequence, I would say the correct expression in this case is "C'est l'un des plus grands orgues du monde".

Hope this helps.
    Bon courage !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

"C'est l'une des plus grands orgues du monde". ;)

Advertisement