Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this used for?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi
    Found this on my farm today while fencing. It was beside a drain that would have water in it most of the year flowing from a marshy ground to a river which could be 2km away.

I have no idea about fishing but something to do with bait is all I can come up with.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Umm which of these things are you asking about? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

well whatever you can identify really, although I know 1 is a bucket :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I don't see anything that relates to fishing.

Okay thanks, its weird..maybe for trapping something. or doing something illegal!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Looks like the contents of someones car boot who did trowel trades, plastering, that sort of thing. Is it in a place where folk would dump things, close to a road? Or is it in the middle of a field?

I've seen the wooden box thing used for something in construction, cant remember how it was used tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The round sieve is used for sieving gravel in sediment analysis, usually a series of sieves of varying sizes placed on top of each other in a shaker to determine the amount of material of each size in a sample.
    Off the wall suggestion: possibly someone panning for gold? :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Zzippy wrote: »
    The round sieve is used for sieving gravel in sediment analysis, usually a series of sieves of varying sizes placed on top of each other in a shaker to determine the amount of material of each size in a sample.
    Off the wall suggestion: possibly someone panning for gold? :confused: :pac:
    il go with the looking for gold suggestion ..what do you think op?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Some people use a sieve placed over a bucket when they are digging maddies/harbour ragworm. You put the sieve over the bucket and as you pick the maddies from the sand you throw them onto the sieve. They then try to bury down where they clear most of the mud off themselves as they just about fit thru the holes and fall into the bucket.
    Saying that. I dont think what you found is a bait dighers bucket and sieve tho lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Thats a gardeners sieve, just for covering seeds when potting - takes out all the big stones and soily lumps. The rest looks like general tat, the tin can wrapped in chicken wire however I have no idea!

Very intriguing but with probably a pretty straightforward answer.

You could have oodles of fun with this in After Hours. Ah go on!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Is it near a road where somebody could have easily dumped it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

plasterers kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Nodster

viper123 wrote: »
    Thats a gardeners sieve, just for covering seeds when potting - takes out all the big stones and soily lumps. The rest looks like general tat, the tin can wrapped in chicken wire however I have no idea!

My father calls it a 'riddle'

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

The riddle might be used for digging maddies etc.... but the holes on it are too big in diameter... all that stuff is used for gold panning...

[QUOTE=danbrosna... all that stuff is used for gold panning...[/QUOTE]

So the prospector left in hurry. T'would be a good introduction to an aul adventure movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'm no expert but it would appear to be a pile of rubbish.

I can see the gold panning angle but there are some unusual bits in there like rubber mats and a paint scraper :confused:

And what's that plastic drill thing. Maybe they were drilling for oil aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Its got all the gold panning tools for sure... you watch gold diggers on discovery... they use mats and everything else that is there.... and sure havent they found a load of gold in wicklow or something...

yeah, I was just going to say pretty much the same. Google images for "sluice gold".

The implements are pretty crude but they make sense in that context, apart from the screw thing. Any ideas what that is in gold context?

I thought at first that the white dust on the bucket was cement or plaster, but now I'm pretty convinced that it is river clay, and the wooden box thing being a crude sluice.

Thanks for all the replies. So they are looking for gold flowing from a marsh which flows very slowly!!! good luck too them :D

Its nowhere near a road so it wouldnt be just rubbish anyway.

Maybe its only children having an adventure.

• Advertisement

I googled gold deposits in ireland and found none but did find that my area(near the shannon in the midlands) has what is called 'Lower Carboniferous' also known as 'waulsortian' so maybe thats the mystery solved!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

They where panning for gold.A bucket of water soil mix would have being passed over the seive removing large objects .The mat would have being placed in the wooden box and used as a sluice box where the gold would lodge.Red thing would be used to dig into the ground to check soil makeup.

Advertisement