Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Hi Fi??

• 15-04-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hey im looking to spend about €500 on a hifi system for myself but have a couple questions...

Im want to be able to wirelessly play the music from my iphone around the house so would it be best to just get a normal stereo and get airplay??? Not quiet sure how Airplay works will it plug into any hi fi??

Or save the hassle and get a hi fi with this function built in, if it possible for that price...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Airplay enabled stuff is pretty expensive as far as i know.
    You could get a bluetooth enabled stereo or a bluetooth adapter for your current stereo/stereos & stream as easily as airplay does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

You can make/create your own airplay system fairly handily. All you'll need really is an airport express base station and a hi-fi/set of speakers that have a headphone jack. Connect your adapter to your router, the speakers to the airport express and Robert's your fathers brother.

My description is a TL:DR version of this basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

aaronh007 wrote: »
    You can make/create your own airplay system fairly handily. All you'll need really is an airport express base station and a hi-fi/set of speakers that have a headphone jack. Connect your adapter to your router, the speakers to the airport express and Robert's your fathers brother.

Why a headphone jack? If he has a decent system, he needs either a minijack cable to two RCA phonos -the minijack goes into the Airport Express (APX) and the two phonos into the aux input on the back of the amp.

Or a Toslink cable -you can get a special version with a 3'5 connection for the APX and a standard optical cable connector on the other end for Optical In on the back of the amp.

If a 3'5' to 3'5 cable (minijack to minijack analogue) make sure the amp/active speakers have Line In rather than a headphone jack -the latter will only degrade the sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

aaronh007 wrote: »

My only problem is i cant get to my router only have wi fi as the router is downstairs... Was looking at a HK bluetooth system alright... Like this

http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/cambridge-audio-topaz-am5-s30-harman-kardon-bta10/2596218

I think bluetooth might be the way to go alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Why not try something like this? Relatively cheap & cheerful option that works with iTunes & other programmes so you can use it for playing Youtube videos etc through the hifi system. Not the absolute high end of course (Sonos/Squeezebox etc would be far better) but for the price I wouldn't complain too much. I have a similar unit myself & it works pretty well, though it does take a little setting up to make sure it doesn't interfere with the Wifi router. Haven't used bluetooth too much myself for this kind of thing but have read a few reviews that rate systems like this higher in terms of audio quality.

• Advertisement

oo7tk wrote: »
    My only problem is i cant get to my router only have wi fi as the router is downstairs... Was looking at a HK bluetooth system alright... Like this

http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/cambridge-audio-topaz-am5-s30-harman-kardon-bta10/2596218

But your APX can join your existing network/wifi by.....wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

oo7tk wrote: »

That is a nice piece of kit ... and not a bad price either. RicherSounds are excellent to deal with also.
    You are going down the right route audio wise anyway (buying seperates), and you could pick any config with that Harmon, I think Logitech have a bluetooth adapter also. Whatever you do, don't buy an all-in-one system. A good amplifier will last you years and you can plug anything into it (including whatever Aiplay accessory you go for).

Actually here is the Logitech device on Amazon for £23
    Link

Regarding bluetooth Vs wifi Airplay ....
    You could go for the Airport Express, it might just piggyback on your existing wifi network but unless you need a wifi extender you are paying €100 for an Airplay device.

The other option is an Apple TV (digital audio output), but again unless you have the need for an Apple TV you again are paying €100, but if you don't have one and also have a TV nearly they are a great piece of kit for the price.

I do notice that Airplay over wifi uses more battery than Airplay over bluetooth.

Either way Airplay is defo the way to go.

An Airport Express only extends your network if you tell it to -otherwise it can simply join the existing network. Older models, if all that is required is Airplay, can be picked up second-hand quite cheaply. In all modes, it provides Airplay.

Apple TV will do the same but does not provide an analogue-out jack -only HDMI and optical, but is a great device.

Advertisement