Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magazine problem ?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

i have a steyr pro hunter, just lately the bolt is not catching bullet head, it seems to me the bullet is lying at to low an angle towards the bolt and therefore passing it by, if i first press down bullet at the front no problem.would my problem be mag spring or worn out lugs or guides on the mag itself. any ideas? or anybody have had same problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would say it is just the spring, I have had the same problem with one of my older mags.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Before you go looking for spare parts, give it a good cleaning. The magazines in DURC's rifles can behave a little oddly sometimes and it's usually down to some crap getting stuck in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bud2000

juice1304 wrote: »
    I would say it is just the spring, I have had the same problem with one of my older mags.
    have cleaned mag completely , would you think new mag is in order or just new spring

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Empty the mag, and press/jab it down firmly with your finger. Does it return to it's proper place of does it stick?

Does it do it regardless of the amount of rounds loaded?

If yes to both then the spring could be weakened and need replacing. I would look to getting a replacement spring before buying a new mag. If it cannot be sourced then go for the mag.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Empty the mag, and press/jab it down firmly with your finger. Does it return to it's proper place of does it stick?

Does it do it regardless of the amount of rounds loaded?

If yes to both then the spring could be weakened and need replacing. I would look to getting a replacement spring before buying a new mag. If it cannot be sourced then go for the mag.
    thanks cass , think you hit nail on head . using 2 fingers equal pressure both ends perfect, however pushing down center only she jams with slide pointing upwards, as far as i know the sportsman gun store in the uk are the main dealers for styer i will give them a call , tempted to get new mag altogether. would there be problem getting over here? probably cost arm and a leg

• Advertisement

bud2000 wrote: »
    thanks cass , think you hit nail on head . using 2 fingers equal pressure both ends perfect, however pushing down center only she jams with slide pointing upwards,
    Had the same problem a couple of years ago. Not on a Styer, but the same issue. One side of the mag was sticking.
    ............... as far as i know the sportsman gun store in the uk are the main dealers for styer i will give them a call , tempted to get new mag altogether. would there be problem getting over here? probably cost arm and a leg
    I would ring around a few dealers, then try up North. McCloys might be able to help.

Failing that ring the Sportsman. However do not order online. Ring them. I done this and saved 60% on shipping by speaking to a person on the phone.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 averagefox

Does anyone know is there a company in ireland that makes magazine springs?? my spring broke on my krico hornet at the plate when i tried to stretch it a small bit as i had the same problem as above..

Cass wrote: »
    Had the same problem a couple of years ago. Not on a Styer, but the same issue. One side of the mag was sticking.

I would ring around a few dealers, then try up North. McCloys might be able to help.

Failing that ring the Sportsman. However do not order online. Ring them. I done this and saved 60% on shipping by speaking to a person on the phone.
    i rang mccloys today, had one sitting on the shelf, and are posting it down, could have it friday or monday. thanks for your help. p.s. mccloys were very efficient and helpfull.

Yeah, good bunch of lads up there. Loads of gear too. Always have something in stock when other dealers seem to be out.

Glad you got sorted.

new mag arrived today. it is only when you compare old and new that you see the differance, old mag just worn out, will make sure in future to empty it. had bad habit off leaving it full, probably not good for the spring, happy days are here again.

• Advertisement

It can be a balance at times.

I had a gun a few years ago, might have been the CZ, and if you pushed the bolt forward kinda slow the spring was so "strong" that it would have the first round to be chambered under great pressure, and end up pushing it into the top of the action (the tip of the bullet). I found loading 4 at a time instead of the 5 the mag held eliminated this problem.

Nice one on getting it sorted though.

Advertisement