Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Press heavier than Bench Press

• 16-04-2013 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm 6'2 and 107 kgs.
    I Military Press 60 kgs x6 on my last set (dumbbells).
    However, my Bench Press is the same, ie my 4th set, I press 60 kgs x 6-8.
    I thought a bench should be way higher than a military press.
    Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm guessing this is 2x30kg DBs.

What happens when you try 32.5g or 35kg?
    What about barbell pressing?
    Are you seated or standing for military press? How do you set up and carry out reps?

I'd be very surprised if your vertical press was actually stronger or even as strong as horizontal press. It's far more likely that you are limiting yourself by your form, or even mentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pychofairy

Thanks for reply mellor.
    I just use dumbbells for both as I don't have a spotter.
    I should start using the smith machine for variety in both excercises.

With Military Press, I do seated with Dumbells;
    22.5 Kg DBs x 12
    25 Kg DBs x 10
    27.5 Kg DBs x 8
    30 Kg DBs x 6

I do the same for the Bench Press.
    30kg are the heaviest Dumbbells in my gym so I guess I will have to start using a Barbell or machine to progress.

I did have some injuries in my shoulders that took years to heal properly. I have always been weak at bench pressing since and am only getting real strength and confidence back in my shoulders now.

I had a feeling 30s were to heaviest DVs. If they went up to 50kg you'd probably find you could go a bit heavier with flat benching.

30kg x 6 is pretty good going.
    I'd recommend intriducing some barbell pressing. But use a free barbell, not the smith machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

pychofairy wrote: »
    I'm 6'2 and 107 kgs.
    I Military Press 60 kgs x6 on my last set (dumbbells).
    However, my Bench Press is the same, ie my 4th set, I press 60 kgs x 6-8.
    I thought a bench should be way higher than a military press.
    Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

decent military press **** bench
    get a barbell i bet you can press 90 on it

Tigger wrote: »
    decent military press **** bench
    get a barbell i bet you can press 90 on it
    You think he could press 90kg, if he got a barbell? Or did you mean bench press?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

no harm to work on the secondary muscles..the triceps.. and who will bench press alot more than shoulder press, and your confidence in your shoulders injury will improve, some are more prone to shoulder injuries than others, the Rotator cuff been a major problem, and many find flat bench pressing aggravates the anterior delt alot..

I chanced the seated chest press machine today for a quick confidence check of shoulders.
    I knocked out:
    90 kgs x 8
    90 kgs x 7
    90 kgs x 5
    100 kgs x 2

It doesn't really translate to a barbell bench but I'll give barbell bench a go next chest day.

pychofairy wrote: »
    I chanced the seated chest press machine today for a quick confidence check of shoulders.
    I knocked out:
    90 kgs x 8
    90 kgs x 7
    90 kgs x 5
    100 kgs x 2

It doesn't really translate to a barbell bench but I'll give barbell bench a go next chest day.

The numbers on a chest press machine are useless. (and because of small stabilising muscles or some such). The loads are relative to that machine, but not to kilograms or anything else.
    ie 100kg is twice as heavy as 50kg, but it could weight anything from 50-100kg in reality.

There's a number of reasons why depending on the set op. But a common one is that the load is connected to the lifting arm about halfway along, with the handles at the end. So its a big lever.

tl;dr
    Forget machine weights

I swapped over to the barbell bench press now altogether.
    I'm pressing 75 kgs 5x5. Think I have technique nailed now so will push on with the weight. Can push 80-90 kgs alright but not with many reps/sets

Incidentally my Military Press isn't as high with a barbell as with dumbbells. Suppose I just need to nail that technique too

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

incline bench press is excellent... and standing barbell press for the shoulders,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Peg Leg

My big worry would be if your bench is heavier than your squat?

Benched 100 kgs 1 rep max on barbell today so happy with that!
    Pushing 80 5x5 so definitely showing progress.

Advertisement