Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment I plan to Rent has been robbed.

Options
  • 16-04-2013 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

An apartment in a Georgian house in Rathmines was robbed last week that I plan to rent starting next month. It wasn't on ground floor, about 6m off the ground. I know the girl currently living there. Are repeat robberies common and is there anything I should insist the landlord do to improve security before I move in? They got through sash windows by prying them open.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Crow92 wrote: »
    about 6m off the ground.

They got through sash windows by prying them open.
    If it's 6m up, I'd wonder how they got in. Through a neighbours balcony, etc? Also, how do the sash wndows lock, if at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id consider do i really want to risk it. That would be my concern.

If however you are really set on the place. Make sure that the windows and doors have adequate locks 'fit for purpose' installed on them.
    for the windows make sure that are of a bolt type lock with key so that the window cannot be smashed and opened by hand.

Any good DIY store can recommend the appropriate locks. Take a look there and maybe recommend what you see to the landlord. But alas they can always just refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

What road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

It's on Grosvenors Square, it's a rear facing apartment, they got a ladder on top of someone elses 1 storey flat roof house that's built in the rear of the georgian house and climbed up.

I never took note of how the sash windows locked, good suggestion for a bolt lock with a key I'll definitely look into it. It just seems like a freak robbery as the owner of the 1 storey house wasn't in at the time and neither was the girl.

I can see the landlord not being entirely happy with drilling into a Sash window, not sure yet as we're waiting to see if he does it for the girl currently living there. Is he obliged to add these types of locks to windows in light of the robbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Crowbar would still open the window. Or they would just smash the single glazed pane of glass.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Crow92 wrote: »
    It's on Grosvenors Square, it's a rear facing apartment, they got a ladder on top of someone elses 1 storey flat roof house that's built in the rear of the georgian house and climbed up.

I never took note of how the sash windows locked, good suggestion for a bolt lock with a key I'll definitely look into it. It just seems like a freak robbery as the owner of the 1 storey house wasn't in at the time and neither was the girl.

I can see the landlord not being entirely happy with drilling into a Sash window, not sure yet as we're waiting to see if he does it for the girl currently living there. Is he obliged to add these types of locks to windows in light of the robbery?

Grosvenor Square is Victorian, not Georgian. There should be shutters on those windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I used to live in Rathmines and Grosvenor Square was known for break-ins. There's a lane running around the back of most of the square and the thieves used to get in from the back. I would check with the landlord what security measures are in the house. Has the house/apartment an alarm? If not it should.

I'm not sure if this still happens, but there used to be parties in the cricket club which would go on until 3 or 4 am. You wouldn't think it but they would be playing very loud techno type music. Sometimes this happened midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd give it a miss, tbh, as you'll always be on your toes, and never fully settle into the apartment.

Advertisement