Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSLR Audio = Into camera or sync later?

Options
  • 16-04-2013 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Bit of a random question here, but I'm guessing some of you are into video production. Actually I've a couple of questions, so thanks for any replies!

I'm wondering what is the best configuration for using a Zoom H1 to record audio, when paired with a DSLR for documentary style stuff.

I would like to use a cable going from the Zoom H1 into the camera, so I don't have to worry about pressing RECORD on the H1 every time. I would hate to shoot something and then kick myself for forgetting to record the audio with the H1. But do I need an "attenuating cable" or something like (?) that to match the output of the H1 to the input of my DSLR? (5d2)
    Also wondering if the sound quality better if I decide to use the H1 "standalone" and sync the audio later?

In short, am I better off recording the audio into the Zoom and syncing it later?

While I'm here, just wondering if you would be inclined to record in mono or stereo. I'm used to recording vocals in mono, but in a documentary, perhaps some stereo ambience helps. Or indeed, would it be an idea to record any talking heads in mono, and add a stereo wild track later?

Thanks a million for any tips here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you untether the recorder from the camera you're not as restricted.

Get a clapper board though and try to mark every clip - otherwise your editor will hate you.

Also keep the onboard mic running on the camera so there's at least reference audio there to aid synching.

If you've got one mic just record mono and double up or add a stereo track later I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

condra wrote: »
    Bit of a random question here, but I'm guessing some of you are into video production. Actually I've a couple of questions, so thanks for any replies!

I'm wondering what is the best configuration for using a Zoom H1 to record audio, when paired with a DSLR for documentary style stuff.

I would like to use a cable going from the Zoom H1 into the camera, so I don't have to worry about pressing RECORD on the H1 every time. I would hate to shoot something and then kick myself for forgetting to record the audio with the H1. But do I need an "attenuating cable" or something like (?) that to match the output of the H1 to the input of my DSLR? (5d2)
    Also wondering if the sound quality better if I decide to use the H1 "standalone" and sync the audio later?

In short, am I better off recording the audio into the Zoom and syncing it later?

While I'm here, just wondering if you would be inclined to record in mono or stereo. I'm used to recording vocals in mono, but in a documentary, perhaps some stereo ambience helps. Or indeed, would it be an idea to record any talking heads in mono, and add a stereo wild track later?

Thanks a million for any tips here!

I'd always record audio separate to the camera and sync up after. The audio preamps in the 5d are not great and can produce a lot of noise so you might as well just record to the h1 directly and minimise the noise in recordings.

I'd always record voice in mono. Unless you have a couple of people talking and are using the one device to capture. I think for talking head stuff you need dry and clear vocal tracks with minimum ambience really, so recording stereo wild tracks and putting underneath may be the best plan alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks guys, yeah it definitely looks like syncing later is the way to go.
    I'll just have to make sure we don't forget to press record on the Zoom!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I'd suggest recording it into a zoom and then syncing it later, will give you better audio quality, also if you have a power supply and a mixing desk that'd be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brunsona

First, if you're going to feed audio from the Zoom to the camera get this cable - Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON. It's a splitter that plugs into the headphone output of the recorder so you can send a feed to the camera and still monitor on headphones. It attenuates the feed to the camera to mic level while giving you a male 3.5 mm jack for the camera and a female 3.5 mm jack for your phones. Just remember that if you change the level for your headphones you'll change the level for the camera at the same time.

Second, always monitor on headphones. Recording audio without headphones is like shooting video without looking in the camera viewfinder.

Third, if you're using the mics on the recorder you'll need to get it as close to the source of the sound as possible. Depending on the noise of the environment you may want to use a directional mic plugged into the H1 to get as clean a recording as possible.

Mount the recorder securely. The H1 is so light that you'll need a sturdy stand to hold it if you're running cables from it back to the camera - even just a headphone cable will pull it over on one of those small desktop portable tripods.

I prefer using the splitter going to camera because it gives me a decent quality backup audio track. If you set it 6db lower than the H1 you'll have a safety track in case the H1 track is over-driven and distorts. Safety tracks can be a life saver.

Hope this helps,
    -a-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

cheers! very helpful :)

Advertisement