Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayne rooney future?

• 16-04-2013 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

What are your views of wayne rooney at man united and is his future there or should he change club?

I think when ferguson started moving him back towards midfield a couple years back he has kind of took the shine off rooney and made it akward for him is he a striker am or cm now? When he was nothing but a striker before he was in unbelievable form and the whole world was talking about rooney and he was still on the up but now he seems to be on the down and no one mentions him much anymore and doesnt even start some games now.

Im not a united fan but have always admired him as a player and just feel he should change club and become an out and out striker again as he seems in no man land at united lately.

What our your views?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

What are your views of wayne rooney at man united and is his future there or should he change club?

I think when ferguson started moving him back towards midfield a couple years back he has kind of took the shine off rooney and made it akward for him is he a striker am or cm now? When he was nothing but a striker before he was in unbelievable form and the whole world was talking about rooney and he was still on the up but now he seems to be on the down and no one mentions him much anymore and doesnt even start some games now.

Im not a united fan but have always admired him as a player and just feel he should change club and become an out and out striker again as he seems in no man land at united lately.

What our your views?

Would hardly say he is in no mans land, he put in a man of the match performance pulling the strings from CM on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

The problem with Wayne is that he's been on the scene since he was 16 years old, burnout is going to be an issue now that he's past his mid-20s.

He could turn into Ryan Giggs or he could turn into Michael Owen from this point, there's no way of knowing.

Not the talisman anymore but is probably still the best footballer at Utd imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Columbia wrote: »
    The problem with Wayne is that he's been on the scene since he was 16 years old, burnout is going to be an issue now that he's past his mid-20s.

He could turn into Ryan Giggs or he could turn into Michael Owen from this point, there's no way of knowing.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Most top players have been playing competitively since they were kids. There is the odd exception like Drogba, but nearly all top pro's have been produced by academies. They don't just spring up in their 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with that. Most top players have been playing competitively since they were kids. There is the odd exception like Drogba, but nearly all top pro's have been produced by academies. They don't just spring up in their 20's.

True, but how many players have been in Premier League First XIs since they were 16?

Not many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not many players feature pretty much consistently at Premier League level from the age of 16.

I would also be concerned that his diet and social activities (does he still smoke?) may also contribute to a curtailed career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Not many players feature pretty much consistently at Premier League level from the age of 16.

I would also be concerned that his diet and social activities (does he still smoke?) may also contribute to a curtailed career.

I don't think smoking has much affect on athletes at the top of thier games actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's a far more salient point. You just have to look at pictures of him in the offseason to know he doesn't take care of himself. But he's still young. If he changes his habits there is no reason he couldn't go for another ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That's a far more salient point. You just have to look at pictures of him in the offseason to know he doesn't take care of himself. But he's still young. If he changes his habits there is no reason he couldn't go for another ten years.

Take a look at him in pre-season. Hamburg game was a shocker in terms of Rooney's 'fitness'. Wasn't too much better by the time the season rolled around - he looked very unfit vs Everton. Have read people saying the injury vs Fulham was actually a good thing for Rooney, as it allowed him/United to work on resolving his fitness problem over the course of the injury (1 month I think) and he looked a lot better when he returned.

I don't think smoking has much affect on athletes at the top of thier games actually.

Are you serious? Decrease in lung function = decrease in oxygenation of muscles = earlier onset of fatigue and high blood pressure.
    It has a major affect on athletes especially pro's at the top of their games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

I think he'll be sold .... ever since he flirted with City and Utd had to bend over slightly to appease him , his cards have been marked. Ferguson will milk him to just the right point (end of this season now Van Persie is imbedded) - then flog him while there's still value in him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't think he's quite lived up to his potential. In his late teens, he looked liked he'd go on to be one of the best in the World, I don't think he's really achieved that. That said, he's still a great player and United would be silly to get rid of him.

If Utd are going to get half decent money for him this summer would probably be the time to sell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

If hes not sold this summer id be amazed if hes bot gone next summer. Ferguson has made it clear that they can cope without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A tad over rated and has been out of form for the last 48 months, no doubt a great player just a little short on quality to be a world class player. Though the British media will have us believe otherwise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Overrated by many and his lifestyle is beginning to get the better of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

At his best or not, Utd would find it very difficult to replace him imo. Ferguson has replaced people time after time so you'd be a fool to bet against him doing so again, but Rooney is a key part of their success always. The man is a winner.

Would be fascinating to see how he'd get on at the likes of PSG though (and I'd be happy to see Utd lose him needless to say).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zidane smoked every day of his professional career, seemed to get by ok.

As for diet, elite athletes who train as hard a premier league footballers are perfectly able to wolf down the off burger. I would also be reasonable sure he's been thought enough during his decade at united to know what a healthy, balanced diet is and understands its importance. He's one of the fittest players in England, he just "looks" big.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RayCon wrote: »
    I think he'll be sold .... ever since he flirted with City and Utd had to bend over slightly to appease him , his cards have been marked. Ferguson will milk him to just the right point (end of this season now Van Persie is imbedded) - then flog him while there's still value in him.

Ah here. He was never going to City and said so himself. If he was to leave he said it would be abroad. Some people will believe anything they read in the papers.

It was the same with Berbatov and the stories that Fergie hijacked his City move by picking him up at the airport when in fact City was never an option he would consider but the papers would have you believe Fergie kidnapped him at the airport. John Giles even spouted this crap recently.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would hardly say he is in no mans land, he put in a man of the match performance pulling the strings from CM on Sunday.

I seen this stated in the United thread a few times as well, and it just made me roll my eyes.

Rooneys performance against Stoke was fine, but it was hardly fantastic. United were turgid as **** against possibly the worst form team in the PL, and while that is not Rooneys fault neither did he have some great performance that inspired a victory. He did all right, but if Cleverly gave that exact same performance it wouldnt even be commented upon. Only when it is Rooney playing a midfield role does it become a man of the match performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ah here. He was never going to City and said so himself. If he was to leave he said it would be abroad. Some people will believe anything they read in the papers.

You're right , I should have said "ever since Rooney's agent used the rumoured City interest to get him a much improved contract"

One thing is for sure - Rooney's current contract is that of a main attacking man. However his role this season has not been that for much of the season. He's been often used as a supporting utility and moved around to accomodate RVP in the role he previously inhabited. I think Rooney is still a massive contributer, but his contract isn't good value if he is going to be used like this going forward.

Ferguson has always had a great sense of such things down through the years imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Seaneh wrote: »
    Zidane smoked every day of his professional career, seemed to get by ok.

As for diet, elite athletes who train as hard a premier league footballers are perfectly able to wolf down the off burger. I would also be reasonable sure he's been thought enough during his decade at united to know what a healthy, balanced diet is and understands its importance. He's one of the fittest players in England, he just "looks" big.

He's definitely not "one of the fittest players in England". If other players don't indulge in those things, they are going to be in better condition. He is obviously in excellent condition, but not more so than the average PL player. Just because Zidane did fantastically as a player, doesn't mean that smoking didn't harm his fitness. Also "smoked every day of his career" is total unsubstantiated bull****. He had been pictured smoking several times, but that doesn't mean he did it every day, or every week. Unless you happen to know him, I doubt you have any basis for that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Perhaps wazza could be sold to finally let kagawa play in his favourite position behind rvp? Your not getting anywhere near his best playing him as a midfielder surely? Then you would have the likes of zaha/young and valencia/nani if they are still there as wingers and carrick and another signing to play in midfield behind kagawa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

moving to PSG is apparently a done deal

batistuta9 wrote: »
    moving to PSG is apparently a done deal

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lol at anyone saying he is overrated, obviously just out for a reaction. He's a 30 goal a season striker when fit and played there, can play well anywhere across the frontline, link up play and has fantastic vision. He may be sold and he may not be but he's definitely in the top 5 players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I like Rooney I think he is a fabulous player and know doubt if he does leave Utd they will be a poorer team without him, I think he just lacks that consistency to be world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

If the interest in Falcao is real, the Rooney is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Technically an excellent player, can see him playing at the top level until 35 or 36, most likely with a return to Everton at some point.

I know we live in a prison ship of Celeb media, but still can't see why the tabloids go on about him so much, he's a bland prosaic working class bloke, he went with a lady of the night, smoked some cigs, been drunk occasionally and got into one to two scrapes, big f***ing deal, sounds like any 27 year old builder from Tallaght.

The French produce the likes of Henry, Zidane and Cantona who all blow the likes of Beckham and Rooney out of the water for sheer charisma and je ne sais qois.

Liam O wrote: »
    Lol at anyone saying he is overrated, obviously just out for a reaction. He's a 30 goal a season striker when fit and played there, can play well anywhere across the frontline, link up play and has fantastic vision. He may be sold and he may not be but he's definitely in the top 5 players in the league.

RVP, Mata, Suarez, Aguero and Yaya are all clearly better players IMO, even if we just restrict it to forward/midfield players, and leave out defenders. Very strong cases could be made for Silva, Bale and a few others. "Definitely" in the top 5 players in the league? You're joking. He might be in the picture, but not "definitely".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

RVP, Mata, Suarez, Aguero and Yaya are all clearly better players IMO, even if we just restrict it to forward/midfield players, and leave out defenders. Very strong cases could be made for Silva, Bale and a few others. "Definitely" in the top 5 players in the league? You're joking. He might be in the picture, but not "definitely".

Clearly better? Last season he scored 30 plus goals and just because he had stop start season doesn't make all the players you named "clearly better" players than Rooney. This is the player who played behind the striker and even as CM not someone who played as #9 whole season.

Not one of those are "clearly" better players than Rooney. Yaya in there is laughable, the others are yet to achieve anything close to the level Rooney showed in 2009/2010 and his goalscoring last season was great even when he wasn't at his best. In the 3 seasons before this he has a 1 in 2 record in Europe and even this season he has better than a 1 in 2 record even not at his best and plagued by injuries. I'm not sure how after one decent season you can put Suarez ahead of him, Aguero hasn't been near his top level this season and has been very disappointing.

I could go on but bottom line: Rooney is in the top 5 players in the league.

Not one of those are "clearly" better players than Rooney. Yaya in there is laughable, the others are yet to achieve anything close to the level Rooney showed in 2009/2010 and his goalscoring last season was great even when he wasn't at his best. In the 3 seasons before this he has a 1 in 2 record in Europe and even this season he has better than a 1 in 2 record even not at his best and plagued by injuries. I'm not sure how after one decent season you can put Suarez ahead of him, Aguero hasn't been near his top level this season and has been very disappointing.

I could go on but bottom line: Rooney is in the top 5 players in the league.
    :confused:
    I wasn't talking about who was the best in 2009/10...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd have RVP, Aguero and Rooney at the same level. Suarez is below Rooney and Touré, Mata play in completely different positions.

Rooney will not be leaving Manchester United this summer. He was excellent in the Stoke game, Fergie smiled and gave him a pat on the back after RVP scored. He even told people to get into certain positions. If he can get fitter, control his temper a bit more he could be captain.

• Advertisement

:confused:
    I wasn't talking about who was the best in 2009/10...

That's what you got from my comment? :rolleyes:

That's what you got from my comment? :rolleyes:
    What I got from your comment was mostly guff about previous things he'd done, and vague statements about how claims of some players being better than him were laughable that you didn't support at all. Was there something valid I was mean to reply to that I missed?

What I got from your comment was mostly guff about previous things he'd done, and vague statements about how claims of some players being better than him were laughable that you didn't support at all. Was there something valid I was mean to reply to that I missed?

So we shouldn't use things players have done to judge them? Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A tad over rated and has been out of form for the last 48 months, no doubt a great player just a little short on quality to be a world class player. Though the British media will have us believe otherwise :rolleyes:

Rooney scored 34 goals for United last season; this season he has 13 goals and 12 assists in spite of being out with injury for two or three spells. How in the fùck is that out of form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Source?

think i heard it on the Guardian podcast, last thurday's one, Philippe Auclair was on it & mentioned it

seen it on the gossip column on BBC yesterday too http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/22161958

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Only if Rooney leaves will then people realise how important he is to united. Good in the air, vision, strenght, speed, able to shoot/finish, really high work rate and team ethic, superb technique and control, great defensive understanding/tactics. How many players are all rounded as he is? The only gripe for me is his consistency but even his "bad" seasons cannot be classed as such as he still contributes 20 goals and alot of assists, along with the other stuff mentioned above which don't show up in the "stats"

He has 1 goal in every 2 games for United spread over almost 9 seasons, overrated my bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

he's only broke 30 goals twice in 8 years at united. You cant really say he's a 30 goal a season man.
    Im not knocking him BTW, I think he's united best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

event wrote: »
    he's only broke 30 goals twice in 8 years at united. You cant really say he's a 30 goal a season man.
    Im not knocking him BTW, I think he's united best player.

When he played as a striker he can score 30 goals like he did in 2 seasons. He joined as a 18 year old so 8 seasons doesn't tell you the full story.

When he did well in 2006-07 scoring 20 plus goals, he was played out of position for most of the next season as Ronaldo was unstoppable. Same next season. Once Rooney became the main man he scored 34 goals in his first season and third season.

Advertisement