Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Hangs after Startup

Options
  • 16-04-2013 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Bit of a weird problem. All of a sudden my PC hangs on after Start up. When I went into Task Manager it showed "Core Temp" not responding, so I restarted in Safe mode, removed that program & tried to restart Windows as normal. It just seem to hang (spinning circle) when I hover over sidebar, taskbar, or any programs. If I use Alt+Tab I can access Skype (which starts with Windows) and use Skype as normal.

I tried a system restore to a couple of days back but it fails & mentions ".dll file missing". I also tried a windows repair from the Win 7 install disc but it goes back to an old Windows install I had (about 1 year ago), which is not much use to me.

Anyone got any suggestions out there :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

sounds like something that is starting is causing the issue

does it work ok in safe mode

you can run regedit in safe mode and remove anything thats starting up

or use msconfig to try boot with limited services and turn bits back on to you find the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Merl1n wrote: »

or use msconfig to try boot with limited services and turn bits back on to you find the cause

Yeah it works fine in Safe Mode.
    I will try what you suggested and see if I can resolve it.
    Thanks

Merl1n wrote: »

It turns out that skype is causing the problem. I have tried to uninstall skype and reinstall but its still causing problems. It seems to be some problems in the registry with Skype.
    Will Registry mechanic fix that or can I remove Skype from the Registry totally, maybe that will fix it ?
    I found this method to remove Skype.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/8743-63-totally-delete-skype-windows#9594249

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

its likely a bad driver might be causing startup failures.

did you recently install any new drivers? or did windows update recently install any new drivers?

its likely a bad driver might be causing startup failures.

did you recently install any new drivers? or did windows update recently install any new drivers?

Not that I can recall.
    Is it possible to update all drivers in windows ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement