Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Everton Tues 16 Apr KO 19:45

• 16-04-2013 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky should return after a hamstring problem but goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski is doubtful with a rib injury.

Defender Per Mertesacker is available again after serving a one-match ban.

Everton manager David Moyes has no reported new injuries ahead of the visit to the Emirates.

Defender Tony Hibbert is set to continue his comeback from calf surgery by building up his fitness playing for the Under-21 side.

Head-to-head
    • Arsenal are unbeaten in their last 11 Premier League games against Everton (W8, D3) since a 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park in March 2007 when Andrew Johnson scored a stoppage-time winner.
    • The Gunners have more wins (26) and scored more goals (82) against Everton than they have against any other side in Premier League era.
    • Arsenal have lost only one of their 20 Premier League home matches against Everton (W16, D3, L1). The Merseyside club's only win at Arsenal in that period was when they came from behind for a 2-1 victory in January 1996.
    Arsenal
    • Arsenal are looking for their fifth consecutive league win, which would be the longest winning run for them this season.
    • Only runaway leaders Manchester United have scored more Premier League goals than Arsenal's 64 this season.
    • The Gunners have led nine times at half-time in the league this season. They have converted all nine of those scores into victories.
    • Arsenal have lost just one of their last 25 home meetings against Merseyside opposition - the 2-0 defeat to Liverpool in August 2011.
    Everton
    • Everton have won four of their last five Premier League matches (W4, D1).
    • But the Toffees have not won any of their last four away league matches (D2, L2).
    • Everton are unbeaten in their four visits to London this season (W1, D3). But they haven't kept a clean sheet in 13 trips to the capital since a 0-0 draw at Fulham in September 2010.
    • This is Everton's third consecutive match against London opposition, following games at Tottenham and at home to QPR. They still have to face Fulham, West Ham and Chelsea in their final five matches.
    This is a massive game for both clubs tonight. A win for Arsenal will push them clear in 3rd place, while a win for Everton will put them 5th on the coat tails of 3rd/4th place.

Everton dont have a great record at all again the big teams away but it think that might change tonight.

Verdict - Arsenal 1-2 Everton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I reckon a score draw is on the cards tonight, although it's chance for Arsenal to put some points between themselves and Chelsea and Spurs so I wouldnt be surprised if Arsenal go and blitz them.

Should make for a good game.

1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Arsenal have the habit of bottling it when things start to become good, though we have a great record against everton.

Very nervous game but I think arsenal will make this excellent everton team look average.

2-0 gunners.

Santi, walcott

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Massive massive game for us. Hoping we can play the game in reverse and have the second half first.

Going for a 2-1 hime win. Come on the Gunners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I've a feeling this won't be as close as people expect. Arsenal to win 2-0, comfortably. Podolski and Giroud.

Arsenal are just substantially better, and will be full of the confidence of their latest winning run. Everton will have to try to play to win (they need the win more than Arsenal), and that won't work out well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Arsenal to win 12-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Arsenal to thump Everton 4-0 or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Both teams are in good form. I fancy Everton to sneak a win with Fellaini inflicting some damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Come on Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Think this game is absolutely set up for Walcott.

Moyes is going to have to play an attacking game, it should leave room in behind otherwise Santi will have the run of it between the Everton back 4 and midfield.

So yeah, something like 3-1 with Walcott scoring 2 is what I'm expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Lots of confidence from my fellow Gooners, but I'm wary about underestimating Everton. They're a great side and will be no pushovers.

We're in the middle of three huge matches for our season and having picked up 3 points on Saturday, a win either tonight or at Fulham on Saturday will put us in a very strong position.

I'm gonna tentatively say 2-1 Arsenal.

Come on you Gunners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Everton have all their 1st team players available.

Close one.

Arsenal are muck so maybe Everton can nick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Plenty of goals in this, gonna say either 3-2 or 4-3 to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There hasn't been more than a one goal difference in this fixture since 2007 so I think its safe to say it'll be close..

Can see Arsenal winning 2-1 or a 1-1 draw.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

3-3

40-1

Bet on it and join me in a life of luxury.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    3-3

40-1

Bet on it and join me in a life of luxury.
    Don't see us conceding 3, especially not if Mertesacker and Fabianski start, though I've heard Fabianski is a doubt. Hopefully Wenger has the balls to drop Vermaelen again.

I've felt like the defence has been more solid with Fabianski behind it lately, not sure why really. He's looked very composed. Nacho, too, adds to that IMO.

AdamD wrote: »
    There hasn't been more than a one goal difference in this fixture since 2007 so I think its safe to say it'll be close..

Can see Arsenal winning 2-1 or a 1-1 draw.
    Might want to check that http://stats.football.co.uk/head_to_head/arsenal/vs/everton/index.shtml
    1-6 at theirs in 09, 3-1 at ours in 08.

Everton have all their 1st team players available.

Close one.

Arsenal are muck so maybe Everton can nick it.

I'm going to assume you're on a rise here.

Form team in the league, won 7 out of the last 8 league games and they're muck?

Give over. ;)

As for the all first team players available for Everton remark, so have Arsenal. Man for man we're a better than them hence why I'm expecting us to win.

I'm not being cocky either; I respect the Toffees, they're a hard side to beat but (a) we're at home, (b) we're in form, (c) we've pretty much a fully fit squad to choose from, (d) Everton will have to depart from their usual style when they play us at the Emirates and attack which should in theory play into our hands given the players we have - we struggle against park the bus teams, and (e) I just think we're a better side overall than them.

Being rational about it; I expect us to win.

Dreamt Everton won 3-0 :(

@cson

Stoke. Sunderland, Villa, Swansea, Reading, West Brom, Norwich

When you see the teams arsenal have beaten it takes gloss off the form.

Arsenal are a poor side compared to past teams. Muck is a bit of a Dunphyism on my part.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Be very surprised if Arsenal won by some of the large margins mentioned here. Everton well capable of getting something out of the game.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

@cson

Arsenal are a poor side compared to past teams. Muck is a bit of a Dunphyism on my part.

I wouldn't say poor side thats way over the top, were not the force of old I agree but neither is most teams in the Premier League maybe with the exception of Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

@cson

In fairness, you could say that about most teams in the league, it's going out and winning those games that matters.. lots of top teams have dropped points to that list. That Swansea side beat Chelsea over two legs and Norwich beat United. You also conveniently left out the 2-0 win over Bayern in the Allianz arena.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    In fairness, you could say that about most teams in the league, it's going out and winning those games that matters.. lots of top teams have dropped points to that list. That Swansea side beat Chelsea over two legs and Norwich beat United. You also conveniently left out the 2-0 win over Bayern in the Allianz arena.

cson was talking about league form.

@cson

You can only beat whats in front of you. I'd question as to whether you've seen Arsenal in any of those matches either, bar the first and last games plus the last 20mins of the WBA game we've outclassed the opposition quite easily. I don't see how we can be anything other than favourites for tonight.

This Arsenal team are a poor side compared to the Invincibles of 03/04 for sure. But compared to others around us and teams of the past few years we're decent. The league table doesn't lie; we're currently 3rd and we're 3rd last year. We're punching above our relative financial weight albeit marginally. We've lost significant world class players each season and continue to make the Champions League end of the table and the knock out phases of the Champions League. We've had 3 players come in this season who've never played in the league before and contribute 34 goals versus the 30 we lost compared to last year with RVP.

TL;DR to say we're a poor side is churlish to say the least and on a wind up at worst. Which I think is what you're after.

Anyways, this a match thread and with that in mind I hope Rosicky starts ahead of Wilshere tonight. Jack isn't 100% yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Score draw, if Podolski starts ahead of Gervinho could see Arsenal nicking it by a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

cson wrote: »
    You can only beat whats in front of you. I'd question as to whether you've seen Arsenal in any of those matches either, bar the first and last games plus the last 20mins of the WBA game we've outclassed the opposition quite easily. I don't see how we can be anything other than favourites for tonight.

This Arsenal team are a poor side compared to the Invincibles of 03/04 for sure. But compared to others around us and teams of the past few years we're decent. The league table doesn't lie; we're currently 3rd and we're 3rd last year. We're punching above our relative financial weight albeit marginally. We've lost significant world class players each season and continue to make the Champions League end of the table and the knock out phases of the Champions League. We've had 3 players come in this season who've never played in the league before and contribute 34 goals versus the 30 we lost compared to last year with RVP.

TL;DR to say we're a poor side is churlish to say the least and on a wind up at worst. Which I think is what you're after.

Anyways, this a match thread and with that in mind I hope Rosicky starts ahead of Wilshere tonight. Jack isn't 100% yet.

Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

If everton get at the arsenal back four I think we could sneak it.

Moyes has an awful away record against the top 4 so arsenal should go into this game as favourites but it's been a season where both sides have dropped stupid points so it's a hard game to call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal win tonight and I can see them finishing in the top 4 at either Spurs or ourselves expense.

We've 2 tough games coming up, away to fulham, we havent won their since 09 and away to Liverpool Sunday.

Spurs have City at WHL, think Bale is an injury doubt for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

This is the Arsenal team I would like to see tonight...

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Mert----Kos
    Monreal
    Ramsey---Arteta
    Walcott
    Santi
    Poldi
    Giroud

If Fabianski is injured the Schez will come in, I think Poldoski deserves to start after that nice cameo on Sat, hit the bar and scored a goal.
    Which means moving Santi central where he can be more influential.

• Advertisement

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    This is the Arsenal team I would like to see tonight...

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Mert----Kos
    Monreal
    Ramsey---Arteta
    Walcott
    Santi
    Poldi
    Giroud

If Fabianski is injured the Schez will come in, I think Poldoski deserves to start after that nice cameo on Sat, hit the bar and scored a goal.
    Which means moving Santi central where he can be more influential.

Yeah, that's probably what I'd do. Maybe Rosicky instead of Poldi, with Cazorla wide and Rosicky central. Splitting hairs really, I'd be happy with either.

Odd that we have several good starting options. It'd be hard to find too much fault with any of several attacking midfield trios.

I'd love for Rambo to score tonight. The application he's shown after the abuse he got over the past year or so has been fantastic. Very underrated member of the squad.

I'd love for Rambo to score tonight. The application he's shown after the abuse he got over the past year or so has been fantastic. Very underrated member of the squad.

Could do with getting rid of Kim Jong Un.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I can only hope that Arsenal replicate the thrashing you gave applehunter against Everton tonight.

Damn.

meriwether wrote: »
    I can only hope that Arsenal replicate the thrashing you gave applehunter against Everton tonight.

Damn.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

meriwether wrote: »

Damn.

I'll give you the thrashing of a lifetime!

thrashing.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Hearing reports that Osman hasn't travelled. That means either Heitinga in midfield or Jelavic joins Big Vic up front with Fellaini dropping back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Really hoping for an Everton win, would absolutely love for them to get a CL place for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Walcott, Giroud

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Everton XI to face Arsenal: Howard, Baines, Gibson, Jagielka, Mirallas, Distin, Barkley, Pienaar, Coleman, Fellaini, Anichebe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How will Everton be lining up?

Howard
    Coleman Jags Distin Baines
    Mirallas Barkley Gibson Pienaar
    Fellaini

Anichebe

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

AdamD wrote: »
    How will Everton be lining up?

Howard
    Coleman Jags Distin Baines
    Mirallas Barkley Gibson Pienaar
    Fellaini

Anichebe

?

Could be like that. You could swap Barkley with Fellaini (my preference) or Mirallas could play behind the striker and Barkley on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

2 - 0 The Gunners :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Lovely reverse by Ramsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

shocking amount of empty seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Who's the co-commentator? -sounds like the Everton fan club president

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Not good so far. Everton are on top in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Pienarr what a chance!

If he had "tried to play it around" Szcezny that would've been a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Everton bossing midfield early on, they look up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sagna sleeping there. Lucky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement