Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike wont start.

• 16-04-2013 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Kawasaki er6f

Bikes been running fine. Starting first time straight away.

Usually when I turn the key, but not start, the dash does its usual light check and is accompanied by a whirring sound.

This whirring sound is not happening anymore. I noticed this happened in the past if the immobilizer was still enabled if I forgot to turn off the alarm.
    The alarm is turn off, kill switch is not enabled.

When pressing the ignition key nothing happens. I assume its the immobilizer not disengaging for some reason?

Anyone have any idea what this whirring sound is and what it means that its stopped?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Kawasaki er6f

Bikes been running fine. Starting first time straight away.

Usually when I turn the key, but not start, the dash does its usual light check and is accompanied by a whirring sound.

This whirring sound is not happening anymore. I noticed this happened in the past if the immobilizer was still enabled if I forgot to turn off the alarm.
    The alarm is turn off, kill switch is not enabled.

When pressing the ignition key nothing happens. I assume its the immobilizer not disengaging for some reason?

Anyone have any idea what this whirring sound is and what it means that its stopped?

Could be the battery. Try bumping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The battery is probably low. It has enough juice to light up the dash but not for the starter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Fuel pump / fuse / relay

Get it to a mechanic

The 'whirring' sound is the fuel pump priming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Syllabus wrote: »
    Fuel pump / fuse / relay

Get it to a mechanic

The 'whirring' sound is the fuel pump priming

Ah if it was only that simple. LOL. Im about 6 miles from the mechanic. Ill have a tinker about myself and check the pump/fuse and relay as you said.

Im almost certain the battery is fine but ill check the voltage later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

not trying to start it in gear are ya? make sure it rolls back and forth (the little green neutral light might be lying..)

else, if the battery and fuses look ok, try contact cleaner on the clutch and sidestand switches - could be one of the safetys kicking in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Sidestand switch or clutch switch? (dunno if you need to pull in the clutch for the engine to fire up on the er6), but that was my problem on the bandit. Easy to bypass! Same symptoms!

Wossack wrote: »
    not trying to start it in gear are ya? make sure it rolls back and forth (the little green neutral light might be lying..)

else, if the battery and fuses look ok, try contact cleaner on the clutch and sidestand switches - could be one of the safetys kicking in

Ah ffs... Lol.

I'm walking home reading this and I remember last night when I parked up my foot kicked the gear lever which stalled the bike and I just left it like that.

It never even crossed my mind..

Yup. In first gear. Lol. Noob mistake. I should know better after two years biking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

epic fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Yup. In first gear. Lol. Noob mistake. I should know better after two years biking.

I had the bike on its main stand yesterday and had the engine running. I wanted to test the gear change but every time I took it out of neutral it would conk out. It took me 5 mins before I copped that the side stand was also down:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fair play OP, you had the guts to come back and admit it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

biko wrote: »
    Fair play OP, you had the guts to come back and admit it :D

+1 lots would have left the thread to die :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

hah, easy fix!

KamiKazi wrote: »
    +1 lots would have left the thread to die :D

Not my style. Lol,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's why you always try to bump start a bike that makes no noise when you try to start:D

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's why you always try to bump start a bike that makes no noise when you try to start:D

Ah well the walking to and from work did me good!!

Walking too work was fine.
    Walking from work was a pain as it had come to my attention that im an idiot!!

Advertisement