Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free alternative to K-9 webprotection

Options
  • 16-04-2013 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been using k-9 webprotection for the last while but had to remove it as it was causing disconnects with minecraft and my son was giving me a head ache moaning at me about it:pac:

Is there any other decent free alternatives out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Nothing I have came across, you could have put an exception into K9 for minecrafe, it tells you when it blocks a page and allows you to add.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

returnNull wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been using k-9 webprotection for the last while but had to remove it as it was causing disconnects with minecraft and my son was giving me a head ache moaning at me about it:pac:

Is there any other decent free alternatives out there?

I'd say for family filtering K9 would be your best bet, not sure about any other free ones except the likes of OpenDNS. have you reported this bug to K9? Also try changing the K9 settings which may help fix the Minecraft issues.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Yeah I had unblocked gaming on the control centre to no joy .And tried unblocking anything else that could be related like p2p sharing ,it still didnt work.

No blocking messages come up giving you the option to unblock.Why Im not sure,possibly something to do with connecting to MP servers and them possibly only ahving an ip address.

I might fire their support a mail if theres no other options.It is a good bit of software

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi returnnull

I have been using Microsoft Family Safety on my home PC for years.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=29231

It allows you to control web access for the different user accounts on your computer, with some on high protection and others with no protection. It provides you with reports on web activity for each of the users including sites which they tried to access but were not able to.

Most importantly, it lets you run Minecraft :)

Paddyo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

K9 web protection is actually a parental control program, not an internet security suite :)

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement