Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full Years Tax. Want to change car. Switch ?

Options
  • 16-04-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

My car was taxed for the year 4 months ago.
    I am looking to change car.
    Is there a way to get tax back ?

Thinking of doing a part exchange with a dealer up the north, therefore southern tax wouldnt be much of a selling point to him.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You can't switch tax. Nothing you can do really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Nope. Only way to get tax back is if the car is scrapped with a certificate of destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

monsterdev wrote: »
    My car was taxed for the year 4 months ago.
    I am looking to change car.
    Is there a way to get tax back ?

Thinking of doing a part exchange with a dealer up the north, therefore southern tax wouldnt be much of a selling point to him.

Thanks

13Q. Can I apply for a Motor Tax Refund?
    13A. Refunds are normally issued where a vehicle is scrapped (by an Authorised Treatment Facility), stolen or exported. They are not issued where a vehicle has been sold. There must be a full three calendar months of unexpired tax remaining on the disc for a refund application to be considered.

All applications for a refund of motor tax, irrespective of whether you taxed online or at your local Motor Tax Office, must be made to your local motor tax office. You will need to complete Form RF120 get it witnessed and stamped by a member of An Garda Síochána, and then forward it to your local motor tax office. Form RF120 is available at your local motor tax office or can be downloaded under the Motor Tax Forms link at the homepage.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=faq

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭monsterdev

Neanderthal system really isn't it.
    Emissions only on post 2008 cars
    The government is out to get you with car tax !

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

IMPORTANT: Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

Applications for refunds of motor tax can be made to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120, in circumstances when,

The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed* or sent permanently out of the state,

The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,

A vehicle in respect of which a tax disc has been taken out has not been used in a public place at any time since the issue of the disc,

The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,

The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,

The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/Refunds/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

8 months tax should be a good selling point for your car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're p/xing in the north, its likely that the dealer has a trader down here that'll buy it, so it probably won't be permanently exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you're p/xing in the north, its likely that the dealer has a trader down here that'll buy it, so it probably won't be permanently exported.

Permanently exported would only be from the sellers point of view though, surely? As in, if I sell a car to the UK then as far as Im concerned it has left the state? Surely what happens after the sale has nothing to do with the seller; they claim their tax back, and if the car re-enters the country it would need to be re-taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

So how would you determine permanently out of the state? How could a seller know that if a car is exported to UK or even furher afield it wont make it way back to the country a decade later? Surely from a sellers point of view once they sign the car for export out of the state as far as they are concerned its a permanent export?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

djimi wrote: »
    So how would you determine permanently out of the state? How could a seller know that if a car is exported to UK or even furher afield it wont make it way back to the country a decade later? Surely from a sellers point of view once they sign the car for export out of the state as far as they are concerned its a permanent export?

I assume they consider it permanently exported, once it's registered in other country.

Advertisement