Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Rate

Options
  • 16-04-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people train to heart rate and what is generally your average HR for the run ?
    Mine seems a little high, even when i feel totally comfortable on my run and have reduced pace. I've read up on it and it seems that some people will just have a higher HR than others. I didnt do a "base phase" back in November for IM, which could be a factor. In the words of Forest Gump, i just ran.

Anyone else have a slightly higher ave HR than others/the percieved ideal average ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You cannot compare HRs. Some have lower resting heart rates, some high MHR, your HR is comparable to only yourself.

Do a LTHR test and base your zones from there.

(30 minute TT with ahr for last 20 minutes being an approximation)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

tunney wrote: »
    You cannot compare HRs. Some have lower resting heart rates, some high MHR, your HR is comparable to only yourself.

Do a LTHR test and base your zones from there.

(30 minute TT with ahr for last 20 minutes being an approximation)

so balls out run for 30m and then ave HR for last 20.
    Being a TT, would my HR not be pretty high anyway ??? i.e higher than my average for a long event, which is my aim ?

miller82 wrote: »
    so balls out run for 30m and then ave HR for last 20.
    Being a TT, would my HR not be pretty high anyway ??? i.e higher than my average for a long event, which is my aim ?

I don't mean to sound condescending but do have you read about the concept of HR zones?

not a lot to be honest.
    know very little about it other than you work out min, ave, max and then base your training on that and what zones you should be in 1 to 5. i'm aware of it and watch my HR, but don't actually do anything with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

As Tunney says do the LTHR test, once the LTHR is established it will drive out the rest of your zones and ensure you are training at the right intensities.
    Only recently i have extablished (in a race) that my LTHR is in fact 5-6bpm higher than when i originally tested, almost a full hr zone!! Ideally test during a race as i feel it will give a more accurate reflection as you will push that bit more.
    Everyone hr is different for me MHR run is 193 and 185 on the bike with RHR normally around 55-60. I know some people that struggle to hit 170, everyone is different.

• Advertisement

do the LTHR test, once the LTHR is established it will drive out the rest of your zones and ensure you are training at the right intensities.

care to break that down for me :)
    doing Joey hannon, so could give it a bash then??
    My main aim is IM Austria this year (30th June), so is this futile at this stage ? :confused:

My main aim is IM Austria this year (30th June), so is this futile at this stage ? :confused:

With the greatest of respect to JB the difference in his HRs says more about him than the ideal way to do this.

Do a TT, work out zones, to be honest you've alot of reading to do and best o find a good website or book and read them than stringing together bits and pieces from here.

An overview

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/new_to_polar/why_train_with_a_heart_rate_monitor

I'd be reluctant about changing now. You've gone by feel, I'd go by feel Austria, The heat and what not will affect HR and if you don't know why things are happening you'll misinterpret.

I'd continue as is and rad up in the off season.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

No needs to be a standalone tt or run race (ideally a 5miler or 10k). Not completely futile at least it will be a sense check on the runs done to date and aid pacing on the day. Google hr training, LTHR establishing zones, lots of articles to read up on.

tunney wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect to JB the difference in his HRs says more about him than the ideal way to do this.

Do a TT, work out zones, to be honest you've alot of reading to do and best o find a good website or book and read them than stringing together bits and pieces from here.

An overview

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/new_to_polar/why_train_with_a_heart_rate_monitor

I'd be reluctant about changing now. You've gone by feel, I'd go by feel Austria, The heat and what not will affect HR and if you don't know why things are happening you'll misinterpret.

I'd continue as is and rad up in the off season.

yeah my training has been going well and i'm where i want to be in terms of fitness so far and times, so like i said, and you have said, i'm not sure i should change that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I do all my training in the winter and endurance sessions to heartrate and then as I build interval sessions I try to work by feel and look at HR afterwards.

As discussed many times before HR is a guide to how your body is responding to the exercise and to use it effectively in training you need to understand what is going on in the body.

I'd second Tunney's advise on reading up on stuff. Polar website does a great job of simplifying alot of the detail by highlighting the watch features.

I'll happy take any Polar based questions and offer help, with one exception, questions about rumours of fogging (totally unfounded ;) )

Smart Coaching http://www.polarelectro.co.uk/uk-en/smart_coaching

i really should have read the Triathletes Bible, i have sitting at home :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

i really should have read the Triathletes Bible, i have sitting at home :(
    Oh I read it my first year doing tri. The more technical parts confused the hell out of me.

Tbh until you have some measure to work off (lthr or max hr), zones are guesswork. You sound like you're doing ok, so trust that!

Good luck in Austria.

Advertisement