Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplug Problems/Best USB Wifi Setup

• 16-04-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Just got UPC 50Mbps installed. Laptop plugged into router is giving me 55Mbps :). Internally, results are not so good..

UPC offered to install wherever I wanted but opted for easiest location.
    Workhorse PC is currently some distance away, connected via home plug with terrible performance (1-2Mbps). I have to experiment with a few different options re the Homeplug as its clearly the problem. Dont want to get UPC back to move the router unless absolutely necessary as it will mean drilling through walls!

I can pick up a wifi signal on my tablet next to the PC. Only have basic USB b/g adapter for PC which is not giving me a sufficient signal for service. I am waiting to try out alternative Wifi Router to see if this will help.

Can someone advise on best USB Adapter setup (Aerial model? N model?) alternatively would a new gigabit card in the PC improve things with the homeplug (its currently a 10/100)? I dont mind spending some money, but would be disappointed if it made no difference..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The EPC3925 has terrible wifi performance for one, but even a good one may not give you the full 50. Homeplugs should though.

What brand are they? Do you have a link to their spec? They rarely manage to function at 100% so if you want 80Mb buy 120, 120 buy 200 and so on.

Dont put them on power extensions if possible. And remove other devices that might make a lot of noise on the line. Another thing is depending on the house they may be on two separate ring mains, that can screw with things.

Advertisement