Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bear and the Maiden Fair

• 16-04-2013 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

So did people like this version (The Hold Steady co-written by Djawandi)

or would you have preferred more of a ballad like sound like this

or indeed the "celtic rock" version by Irish Moutarde:

I like them all to be honest! But probably think the last version is least enjoyable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I personally loved the version Locke and his men were singing. No idea what processed the writers to put The Hold Steadys version on the end credits. There should be plenty more opertunities to hear different versions as the series progresses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I like the ballad version with the medieval tone, so much so I linked it in the thread about 'pictures, videos, links etc' which has gone missing. It suits the atmosphere of the westerosi culture. I wish the band who recorded it had better equipment to record a higher quality track.

I was really turned off by the end of episode 3. The version the Bolton men were singing was much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Shazbot wrote: »
    I was really turned off by the end of episode 3. The version the Bolton men were singing was much better.

Yeah, Ive seen this sentiment expressed a lot by people online (not just here).

I liked it, I though the shock of Jaimes hand being chopped off was nicely seconded by the shock of the music kicking in.

It reminded me a bit of that film with Heath Ledger, A Knights Tale. A number of people I know said they didnt like it and thought the rock music was entirely inappropriate in it. But I loved it!

It could be that my musical tastes are not that sophisticated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I liked the song because I like The Hold Steady but it was a strange choice after that scene. I thought it was strange too that they used Gary Lightbody in the show but not or the credits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I really don't like like any of the versions which wouldn't be possible in Westeros. The second one on the OP is by far the best out of the three, it just sounds so wrong with electric guitars and whatnot.

• Advertisement

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    I really don't like like any of the versions which wouldn't be possible in Westeros. The second one on the OP is by far the best out of the three, it just sounds so wrong with electric guitars and whatnot.

Yeah I totally understand the argument for authenticity of music. I dont mind though because there are no doubt other instances of music in the show where the music doesnt actually exist in Westeros - but is just accompanying a scene. As an example in the very first scene here there is some musical accompaniment, but its not authentic Westerosi music - its just that its hardly noticable it doesnt seem so offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah I totally understand the argument for authenticity of music. I dont mind though because there are no doubt other instances of music in the show where the music doesnt actually exist in Westeros - but is just accompanying a scene. As an example in the very first scene here there is some musical accompaniment, but its not authentic Westerosi music - its just that its hardly noticable it doesnt seem so offensive.

Well, I wouldn't really have a problem with background music, just where the music is part of the actual scene itself and involves characters. For example, where the Brave Companions sing in the most recent episode.

Or, as with two of the versions in the OP, they play a song from the story itself with modern instruments. Background music is a totally different ballgame.

Yeah I get you, while I liked it as a credits song I wouldnt have accepted it in a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I thought although extremely unsuitable it worked perfectly. The shock of the ending compounded with the shock of the music left me completely baffled, and I enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

All the orchestral music we've been hearing all along, such as the the opening credits we hear every week, require musical instruments that didn't exist in the middle ages and that we've never seen any evidence that Westeros has. Just because classical music originated at some time in the past doesn't mean that all classical music existed at all times in the past.

It's just how it's done, and the end credits music in particular are fair game because the immersion is already over.

I simply don't understand where the backlash is coming from, and it's complicated by the fact that many of the pirated copies that so many people were watching had sound synching problems and the music came in too soon. So when people complain, many of them have negative impressions already formed based on something that is entirely not the fault of the creators of the show.

• Advertisement

Anachrony wrote: »
    All the orchestral music we've been hearing all along, such as the the opening credits we hear every week, require musical instruments that didn't exist in the middle ages and that we've never seen any evidence that Westeros has. Just because classical music originated at some time in the past doesn't mean that all classical music existed at all times in the past.

Of course Westeros isnt necessarily even in the middle ages, its a fantasy universe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I loved it, I thought it added to the confusion although I reckon this would have been a great shout :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I loved it, I thought it added to the confusion although I reckon this would have been a great shout :pac:

Do you hear that noise? That's the sound of Jaime Lannister clapping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Of course Westeros isnt necessarily even in the middle ages, its a fantasy universe :)

So they may well have electric guitars then, powered by the Lord of Light perhaps.

I acknowledge that not everything is the same, which is why I mentioned that we've not seen evidence of those sorts of musical instruments in Westeros. They are free to decide that certain technologies are relatively more or less advanced in their universe, however with a few exceptions, most of their technology seems to roughly fit within a specific era of European history. While any material on the show is free to override that at any time, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary it is a reasonable assumption that their technology is an unknown area will be comparable to the rest of what we have seen.

Anachrony wrote: »
    So they may well have electric guitars then, powered by the Lord of Light perhaps.

I like this, imagine the pyrotechnics displays you could get going between the dragons and the wildfire!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I liked the way the music kicked in last week, I think it was meant to be darkly humourous. It's a common trick in films & TV to have something bad or violent happen then have musical cue come in like that, Tarantino is always at it for example:

I loved when they had The National sing Rains of Castermere last season.

The rains of castamere last season was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

The rains of castamere last season was brilliant
    Here here!

I don't get why some people seem to have a fit waiting for The Bear... and then oh it's so bad/so good etc etc.

Rains of Castamere is way better though

:pac:

Advertisement