Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilising bottles, options.

Options
  • 16-04-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the options are for sterillising wine bottles and 500ml bottles for cider beer etc?

I have VWP, but can I use the dishwasher for a large batch? we have a hot wash option of 65 degrees on ours.

I had read elsewhere that the neck of the wine bottles means it doesnt really work, there can also be issues with food/crud in the machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I use an 80L container I bought in Dunnes. Throw 20 litres of water and some sanitiser into it then let 25 or 30 bottles rest in it for a few minutes. Rinse them in cold water in the sink while another 30 or so rest in the sanitiser...repeat as needed. Not the fastest but it works. I have a bottle tree I put the rinsed bottles on afterwards to drain before I actually put the beer into the bottles.
    I only do this just before I bottle so they are sanitised correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

hot water in a quarter and half a teaspoon of vwp to really get it going, fill to top with cold leave overnight , rinse with cold and dry, preferably on the bottle tree.
    Dishwasher will not cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Get starsan at homebrew shop , it makes the whole process really easy and quick ,works great with bottle rinser & tree

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

tteknulp wrote: »
    bottle rinser & tree

Big reduction in face pain when I got these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

+1 The bottle tree is the bizniss.

Rinser I got is very cheaply made though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Another +1 for rinser and tree. Makes things a lot quicker and easier

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

tteknulp wrote: »
    Get starsan at homebrew shop , it makes the whole process really easy and quick ,works great with bottle rinser & tree

Bottle tree: http://www.homebrewwest.ie/bottle-drainer---45-bottle-rotating-red-1089-p.asp

And they are fantastic.

Where do you get star san? I have looked around, and I would really prefer a no-rinse sanitiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

If you don't have a bottle tree, i find dishwasher rack works quite well to let bottles drain

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Are people here generally against the water + bleach + vinegar method?

20l of water.
    Mix in 30ml of thin, unscented bleach.
    Mix in 30ml of cheap malt vinegar.

Fill/steep bottles for a few hours. No rinse necessary, just let dry before using.

I've used this a few times. Amazingly cheap. Appears to have worked effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not me. It's what I use. I only make up 3L at a time though with a dessert spoon each of bleach / vinegar added to the water. It's enough to sanitise buckets (with shaking) and bottles (with the bottle rinser). I have never had any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sharingan wrote: »
    Where do you get star san?
    The Homebrew Company usually have it but I see they're out of stock at the moment.
    I've used this exclusively for over sixty brews and never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

For draining bottles I use a sheet of plywood with a load of holes drilled in it.

I use the bleach/water/vinegar sanitizer too. There was an interview with Charlie Tally (the inventor of Starsan) on Basic Home Brewing radio where he talks about (and encourages) using bleach/water/vinegar, it's worth a listen. He says the contact time required is only 30 seconds and it is no rinse. I saw the link on Craigtube recently:

Link to interview

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I used the water, bleach, vinegar for my last brew including using it with a bottle rinser and everything worked out fine

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

[quote="Sharingan , Where do you get star san? I have looked around, and I would really prefer a no-rinse sanitiser.[/quote]

Starsan can be purchased here:
    http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/star-san-sanitiser-8-oz-p-1426.html

€12 it lasts for ages ,as 1.5ml to litre water ,distilled is better

Advertisement