Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tick Tock Ten by Gerry Duffy

Options
  • 16-04-2013 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else bought it ?

I bought and really enjoyed Gerry's 1st book, who dares runs and if i'm honest its one of the reasons i kept up this running/triathlon lack as like a lot of people i start something but it falls by the side rather quickly.

I've just got the 2nd book about the deca Iron distance he won in 2011 and can't see it taking me too long to read it !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I read the first book and it was just ok. I am sure i will be slated for this but being honest his achievements are not that impressive and certainly do not warrant a multitude of books to be written about it.
    Just my 2cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I read the first book and it was just ok. I am sure i will be slated for this but being honest his achievements are not that impressive and certainly do not warrant a multitude of books to be written about it.
    Just my 2cents

I won't slate you, just explain why you believe they aren't that impressive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Just my 2cents

Couldn't agree more. Read the first book and got a bit sick of 'I am brilliant' and 'if I can do this so can anyone.' Book 1- Look at how great I am at running and Book 2 - Look how great I am at triathlon......
    Needless to say I won't be reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

I also don't think they are impressive. The most impressive aspect was that (AFAIK) he was coming from a non-athletic backgound to take on moderately interesting challenges. But they certainly weren't impressive achievements in themselves. This forum is full of people who would be well able to better them.

Enduro wrote: »
    I also don't think they are impressive. The most impressive aspect was that (AFAIK) he was coming from a non-athletic backgound to take on moderately interesting challenges. But they certainly weren't impressive achievements in themselves. This forum is full of people who would be well able to better them.

That would be the part impresses me as well. I come from a similar background with weight issues etc so perhaps thats why what he has done motivates me.

I agree a lot of people here would be able to better them, but they haven't. If they wrote about them i'd no doubt read them if they wrote as well ( a book or a log here )

• Advertisement

Firstly running 32 marathons in 32 days sounds hard but its not really. Its something i consider a large portion of people would be able to do with some specific run training. More of a mental challenge as much as physical. Remember most of these were run around 4.5hrs so hardly knocking his nuts out.

His Deca Ironman win needs to also be put into perspective. There was only 20 people in the race, its a bit like winning a family karaoke contest at Xmas. The event has limited appeal and as such competition is not going to be tough or have any depth at it.

As i said its just my 2cents. I am sure he has helped motivate others along the way but i just dont get all the hype. He seems to have carved out a career from it so guess its not all bad!!

Firstly running 32 marathons in 32 days sounds hard but its not really. Its something i consider a large portion of people would be able to do with some specific run training. More of a mental challenge as much as physical. Remember most of these were run around 4.5hrs so hardly knocking his nuts out.

His Deca Ironman win needs to also be put into perspective. There was only 20 people in the race, its a bit like winning a family karaoke contest at Xmas. The event has limited appeal and as such competition is not going to be tough or have any depth at it.

As i said its just my 2cents. I am sure he has helped motivate others along the way but i just dont get all the hype. He seems to have carved out a career from it so guess its not all bad!!

Thats it isn't it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

This forum is full of people who would be well able to better them.

But they don't !!

FWIW, i dont think he is that interesting, and thought his first book was dull enough, but at the same time you can't knock what he's done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

He was fat, lost weight and got fit. He is nothing special for his AG as is... so big deal IMO.

Why run 32 marathons in 32 days... maybe aim for one decent time instead... same with the deca.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Doing these sorts of events is part of how he makes his living - self publicity to promote his business and his books. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing he has done that I can see is unique, however I got slated here for saying that when he was doing his Decca and had people telling me he was an inspiration. Lots of people work hard, he just does it in a very public way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

miller82 wrote: »
    But they don't !!

FWIW, i dont think he is that interesting, and thought his first book was dull enough, but at the same time you can't knock what he's done

OK then, I've beaten him by enormous margins whenever he runs in any races which I do. And I've done many events which are much more difficult than 32 marathons in 32 days (A trivilially easy training programme for an ultra runner), or 10 IM's in ten days (He gets to eat proper food and sleep between them, AND get's to eat and sleep off the clock.... the luxury). Any of the (real) adventure racers on the forum will have done much harder than that (Real expedition length ARs can take up to 9 days to complete and are true non-stop self-supported events). The reason I wouldn't do what he does is because it's not challenging enough to be interesting to me.

What the better athletes are not so good at is elevated levels of self-publicity.

Like I said, it is impressive that he has gone from a non-athletic background to the level he is at. But in absolute terms the level he is at isn't that impressive. For the amount of publicity he generates for himself that really should be pointed out more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

That would be the part impresses me as well. I come from a similar background with weight issues etc so perhaps thats why what he has done motivates me.

I agree a lot of people here would be able to better them, but they haven't. If they wrote about them i'd no doubt read them if they wrote as well ( a book or a log here )

In my line of work I get told things like "go learn MongoDB, go learn Scala, this will allow you to command more money". I work in software development.

If I worked as a full time motivational speaker for after dinner and corporate events then no one would tell me of the importance of the latest cloud based fad. Nope. They'd tell me go go do a deca-ironman or something, then write a book about it.

Also if I said "hey I need three weeks off work to fvck about doing a race thats not really a race cause no one really does it, oh and the year I want to do it is the soft style of a deca" I'd be told "we're going camping in France".

However if I said "Hey I need to go away with work for three weeks, sorry but needs must" I'd be told "bring the kids back something nice"

miller82 wrote: »
    But they don't !!

You'd have been better buying "Precision Heart rate training"

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What he has done is not impressive to anyone who can do similar. I'm looking at all you lot. ^^^

But to Joe Soap, it is impressive. I'm not saying if that's fair, but that's how it is.

Do you guys resent that his events are soft, or that he is making a living from it?

I did try to read his marathon book but gave up because it was pretty dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

tunney wrote: »
    In my line of work I get told things like "go learn MongoDB, go learn Scala, this will allow you to command more money". I work in software development.

If I worked as a full time motivational speaker for after dinner and corporate events then no one would tell me of the importance of the latest cloud based fad. Nope. They'd tell me go go do a deca-ironman or something, then write a book about it.

Also if I said "hey I need three weeks off work to fvck about doing a race thats not really a race cause no one really does it, oh and the year I want to do it is the soft style of a deca" I'd be told "we're going camping in France".

However if I said "Hey I need to go away with work for three weeks, sorry but needs must" I'd be told "bring the kids back something nice"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

You'd have been better buying "Precision Heart rate training"

touche

i got a loan of it ;)

An example of why I cannot stand him comes from the endless self promotion in articles and books but when it comes to detailing the run up to Kona of an athlete in his weekly column in the Indo he couldn't be arsed getting a single fact about the athlete and the event correct. If it ain't about him he aint interested. People who only talk about themselves quickly because uninteresting.
    Fair point.

Dont suppose that particular article is online. Id like to read it to see what youre talking about.

Oryx wrote: »
    Fair point.

Dont suppose that particular article is online. Id like to read it to see what youre talking about.

Oh it wasn't just one. It was a weekly thing for a number of weeks. If anyone who knew the sport read it they would have been able to correct them. Even things like sponsors wrong, things that could impact the athlete. But hey Gerry, some man, he ran XXX in YYY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

When something is your job its something you just do.

For advancement in some fields you do training.
    For advancement as a motivational speaker you do 32 marathons and decas and what not,

He's a motivational speaker then, I take it?

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Like I said, it is impressive that he has gone from a non-athletic background to the level he is at. But in absolute terms the level he is at isn't that impressive. For the amount of publicity he generates for himself that really should be pointed out more often.

Similar could be said of so many people.

Dean Kanazares, Scott Jurek to name two current people with no impressive sporting backgrounds yet were able to carve out a niche for themselves doing something different. Scott seems to be later to the money making game and self promotion but he's catching on with 'Eat & Run'.

What's impressive, and I'm not batting for Gerry or any of the guys, you have to put food on the table and sometimes self promotion is the only way to do it. Nobody will blow your trumpet for you.

What he / they have done is impressive to 90% (? wild stat) of the sedentary population and if it inspires someone to better themselves, well kudos to them.

I know Gerry is doing the rounds of motivational speaking, but you have to collect the cream when the opportunity arises. He'll only have a couple of years of that to make money from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

When something is your job its something you just do.

For advancement in some fields you do training.
    For advancement as a motivational speaker you do 32 marathons and decas and what not,

He became a motivation speaker on the back of the 'success' of the accomplishments.

Sometimes we need to reinvent ourselves to feed our families.

on an unrelated note : that fat bloke who was doing Marathon d'Sables. He do it?

on an unrelated note : that fat bloke who was doing Marathon d'Sables. He do it?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Heres the book for you tunney

526201_486243588079870_571363478_n.jpg

Problem with this type of thing is quality gets lost over quantity. Conversation goes a bit like,
    I done a 2:2x marathon
    Oh well done that's good
    I done 32 marathons in 32 days
    Wow that's impossible you must be great

I done a sub 9IM...you get the idea.

So this Gary lad is jumping on the bandwagon, oh Jesus. Ok I am off to write a book about battling being overweight and dealing with being vertically challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am a little different in my thinking, I would have no problem reading Garys or Gerrys books. I would be more looking at the quality and enjoyment I got from the book rather than the 10 Ironmans or the weight loss.

Reading about the Marathon d'Sables from a guy like Garys perspective rather than someone at the top of the field wouldn't bother me. I remember coming across a log of someone doing the decaIronman along with Gerry, he was only just making the cut off times getting an hours sleep and away again - he didnt finish but it was a great read while it lasted

Having read my share of sports books and being driven demented by their inability to open up or criticize anyone there are very few books from top athletes that I would recommend. Many of them are still too involved in the business and don't want to upset authorities, fellow athletes, sponsors etc. Most of them are ghost written anyways and I would say some of the athletes in question have hardly even read it but just got their agent to approve it - in fairness I doubt Gerrys were ghost written

Having said all that I didn't really enjoy Gerrys first book - i thought it was a bit bland so I wont be getting his new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »
    Heres the book for you tunney

526201_486243588079870_571363478_n.jpg

Jesus I thought this was a joke until I googled it. This guy really bugs me. He contacted a radio station to start a process of self publicity about his weight and then whined and moaned every time he was on the radio and then writes a book - you could have predicted this from the start of this process. I'm sure he'll end up as a personal trainer / motivational speaker.

I've lost 3.5 stone since I started doing triathlon, Can I write a motivational book? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Obviously it's not about quality. The business he's in is all about who shouts the loudest. And he's clearly very good at that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I know a couple of people who hero worship Duffy, Kirwan and Karnazes. Have met Duffy a few times, he's a nice guy. Had a vague interest in his 32 marathons thing but stopped having an interest in the longer stuff around that time.

For the record, I do think 32 x 32 and 10 Ironman in a row is pretty impressive. I know it's not overly hard, especially at those times but to do the same thing over and over and over like that is pretty good.

Plenty of people who do similar stuff all the time. Started one of Karnaze's books about his 50 marathons in 50 days years ago and got really bored. Haven't read anything like that since, don't know how people read that tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I found the book brutal and as many above could not finish it.

but to be honest I find the comments "anyone" could do these challenges as slightly insulting to anyone who has done them,
    While I agree it should be within the realms of our physical capability there is a difference between this and the mental aspect of actually doing an ultra event of this magnitude and greater.

Advertisement