Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tick Tock Ten by Gerry Duffy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

griffin100 wrote: »
    Jesus I thought this was a joke until I googled it. This guy really bugs me. He contacted a radio station to start a process of self publicity about his weight and then whined and moaned every time he was on the radio and then writes a book - you could have predicted this from the start of this process. I'm sure he'll end up as a personal trainer / motivational speaker.

I've lost 3.5 stone since I started doing triathlon, Can I write a motivational book? FFS

Thank god i thought i was the only one. He really gets on my tits, well i used to have tits but lost them when i lost the weight...its all in my upcoming book. "The Hobbit goes long and lean"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wow I thought I was the only one who didnt like Duffy's first book. Actually I enjoyed the first half but got bored when it got to the bits about the marathons and didnt finish it. Which is rare as I nearly always struggle to the end of a book no matter how bad it is. I do think 32 marathons in 32 days is a great achievement though. Wont be buying that second book.

As for that gary guy, dont get me started! :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I bet elvis is sorry he started this thread now....

I saw Gary doing the oly in athy. Based on that, and his brief time posting on boards, I got the impression that he wasn't particularly mentally tough, not to stick it out through the hard bits. His attitude just seemed.... wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Solobally8 wrote: »
    As for that gary guy, dont get me started! :mad:

Sure he was depressed "woe is me"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oryx wrote: »

I saw Gary doing the oly in athy. Based on that, and his brief time posting on boards, I got the impression that he wasn't particularly mentally tough, not to stick it out through the hard bits. His attitude just seemed.... wrong.

Did he post in A/R/T?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did he post in A/R/T?

He posted in a thread asking about the MDS. I think his name was weeman or something equally as funny.

Yeah then threw a strop because everyone didn't think he was a God.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Yeah then threw a strop because everyone didn't think he was a God.

Well he objected to the comparisons to Buddha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

griffin100 wrote: »
    He posted in a thread asking about the MDS. I think his name was weeman or something equally as funny.

Interesting. What does he weigh now? Pic on twitter I would guess mid 20s still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That's a good read. Did he do it this year?

I remember him at DCM in 2011, a big man then.

That's a good read. Did he do it this year?

I remember him at DCM in 2011, a big man then.

Nope, his wife had a baby recently.

I hate myself for knowing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nope, his wife had a baby recently.

I hate myself for knowing this.

How is Jordan getting on with the new hubby RQ, is Pete taking it well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Possibly worse narcissism than Hartman's drivel but at least Hartman was a half decent athlete.

I guess we are in awe of different things. I'd watch that 4 mins and 55 secs of Darragh McDonald and feel more inspired than someone who had a few bacon sambos and naps during a week long training triathlon. Not dissing the deca, its impressive on some levels, I'm just not particularly inspired by his achievement for some of the reasons already outlined.

But hey he is writing books and making bucks. Fair play for paving a way!

catweazle wrote: »
    How is Jordan getting on with the new hubby RQ, is Pete taking it well?

They got married a second time...or will be.

FM104 news, the report all the important stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oryx wrote: »

Not at all, everyone has their own tastes and thoughts on life.

On Gary, i have no time for him at all. I met him a few times and he's a nice guy but he was on today fm after christmas and had put back on weight and when any sort of negative comment came in by text he was quite simpley abusive to the people sending them in. In fact he was just an @rsehole.

But hey he is writing books and making bucks. Fair play for paving a way!

Sure God was at it long before any of them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not at all, everyone has their own tastes and thoughts on life.

On Gary, i have no time for him at all. I met him a few times and he's a nice guy but he was on today fm after christmas and had put back on weight and when any sort of negative comment came in by text he was quite simpley abusive to the people sending them in. In fact he was just an @rsehole.

They say its better to try and fail than to not try at all. True but when you know you failed spectacularly you know you are a spectacular failure and may be touchy about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Similar could be said of so many people.

Dean Kanazares, Scott Jurek to name two current people with no impressive sporting backgrounds yet were able to carve out a niche for themselves doing something different. Scott seems to be later to the money making game and self promotion but he's catching on with 'Eat & Run'..

Ah now.... there is a big big difference between Karnazes and Jurek. Basically Karnazes is indeed a good analogy to Gerry Duffy (More likely Gerry got his ideas from reading Karnazes). i.e., he has moderate athletic ability, but has managed to convince a lot of people that he is awesome. Seems to be a huge ego / arse as well. Hugely disliked (or just treated as a joke) by the people he would like to convince you are his peers. Turned up at the world 24 hour championships once... came second last if you count the women's results in.

Scott Jurek is the real deal though. He is an awesome runner, and has conistantly been one of the best in the world at ultra-trail . If anything he underplays his ability. Seems like a really good guy and is popular and respected by his peers. Turned up at the world 24 hour championships once... came 2nd, shattered the American record.

Enduro wrote: »
    Ah now.... there is a big big difference between Karnazes and Jurek. Basically Karnazes is indeed a good analogy to Gerry Duffy (More likely Gerry got his ideas from reading Karnazes). i.e., he has moderate athletic ability, but has managed to convince a lot of people that he is awesome. Seems to be a huge ego / arse as well. Hugely disliked (or just treated as a joke) by the people he would like to convince you are his peers. Turned up at the world 24 hour championships once... came second last if you count the women's results in.

Scott Jurek is the real deal though. He is an awesome runner, and has conistantly been one of the best in the world at ultra-trail . If anything he underplays his ability. Seems like a really good guy and is popular and respected by his peers. Turned up at the world 24 hour championships once... came 2nd, shattered the American record.

I agree with you re Jurek. He comes across as a very humble man who through infamy is being pushed into the spotlight of doing the circuits, public talks, TED, books etc.

His hanging around the finish line for hours to celebrate other runners does not come across condescending and is a mark of the real man that is there.

The point I was making should have been to highlight that both of them (Jurek & Kanazares) at 'normal' sports were not any great shakes but when they found their calling at ultra distances they really shine through.

I'm sorry to have Jurek in the same sentances as Kanazares as, 100% Kanazares & Gerry are along the same vein. Jurek through necessity is following in the self promotion stakes.

Sporting careers are only so long, you can't be a winner all the time and at some point you have to cash in your chips while you are still a hot topic.

10 years from now. Jurek will be still humble and in demand, the others will be onto something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I think Jurek was handy at cross country skiing before moving to ultras. I read his book and from what I can remember, he worked his arse off to get good rather than being completely natural. Took a couple of attempts to win his local 50km. His book is worth a read, I got in on the kindle for less than €5.

Re Gerry Duffy. I think most of the events he does, anyone can do it. But he also says the same thing, which I suppose is why people book him as a motivational speaker.

Re Gary. I heard him being interviewed just after Christmas and to be fair, he was quite open about how he messed up and accepted the criticism. D’arcy himself was v critical of him but Gary took it on the chin.

What struck was that listeners were up in arms about any criticism he got. “Leave him alone, he’s great, an inspiration, you were way too harsh on him Ray etc.” Teena Gates is also another example of this sort of thing.

Which brings me to the point that these guys aren’t doing anything wrong. It’s that we’ve got to such a point in society where (once?) easily achievable things are now considered to be inspiring and extraordinary. Bit like the whole self-help book phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I wouldn't really begrudge these guys, they've found a way to make a living doing what we love, in spite of the fact that they're not the best at it.

I do think it's a pity the media give them so much attention at the expense of the people who are out there training harder and winning stuff.

The weight loss thing isn't particularly impressive when so many of the people you meet in this sport started out overweight or obese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Kinda half sorry I bought the book now :D

I think this is down to the individual, you either love them or hate them. Its probably the same thing with the "Run Fat B*tch Run" book, Joe and Josephine Soap can relate.

I read Who Dares Runs a while back and actually referred back to at least one chapter while training for the Hardman (my first 140.6 supposedly) to learn from his mistakes re pacing and nutrition. So while some posters with shed loads of experience may find his reads boring, I in fact picked up a tiny bit of advice that I think helped me in my first attempt at the distance.

I picked up Tick Tock Ten on Tuesday and am half way through, as Elvis said, it won't take me long to finish it. Also, for the record, I recently read Paula Radcliffe's book and was less than impressed, in fact when you think about it, most sports books such as Chrissie's, Macca's, Barry MacGuigan's, Donal Og's, Lance's 2 books (which I have since binned) etc etc are pretty much all the same. They can be quite boring and hard to finish.

Well thats it, I am staying at the day job and not competing in any Deca's, not doing the MDS, not running 32 Marathons in 32 days and not writing any books about it either.

Advertisement