Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovations old house near Blackrock Catholic Church

Options
  • 16-04-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Does anyone know the history of this old house previously occupied by a Cobbler (shoe repairer). In effect it stands on its own and is not in line with houses just behind on either side. At present it is being renovated in a very nice manner. I have asked many elderly Blackrock people and the only response i got that about 70 years ago a family lived there where the lady "told fortunes". Not joking! The 3 houses nearby the Church are understood to be owned by the Church.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

dewdrop wrote: »
    Does anyone know the history of this old house previously occupied by a Cobbler (shoe repairer). In effect it stands on its own and is not in line with houses just behind on either side. At present it is being renovated in a very nice manner. I have asked many elderly Blackrock people and the only response i got that about 70 years ago a family lived there where the lady "told fortunes". Not joking! The 3 houses nearby the Church are understood to be owned by the Church.

Well it's there since 1900 at least. You can see it on the OSI map from that time.
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,571282,571730,7,9

The houses behind are considerably older as they are marked on the 1841/42 os map
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,571282,571730,7,7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Where do you see the dates on that first map? I was looking to see if something was built before or after 1900 recently and checked there. building not there but I couldn't tell when the map if from. I would have though that first map is much older than 1900.

*edit* ah. the 25" map varies between 1888-1913 while the 6" one varies between 1837-1842

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ludo wrote: »
    Where do you see the dates on that first map? I was looking to see if something was built before or after 1900 recently and checked there. building not there but I couldn't tell when the map if from. I would have though that first map is much older than 1900.

*edit* ah. the 25" map varies between 1888-1913 while the 6" one varies between 1837-1842

If you clikc on but map and select the A0 size and the correct map i.e. 25" or 6" you should get a list of sheet numbers with the year it was surveyed beside it. Cork city is either 1900/01 for the 25" and 1841/42 for the 6"

249835.jpg

Advertisement