Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone calls asking for Private Data

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They are only doing their job. I always ask them politely to put whatever they wish to discuss in writing and I will take it from there.

By the time the email or letter arrives you could have a large credit card bill.

Del2005 wrote: »
    By the time the email or letter arrives you could have a large credit card bill.
    Most people have online banking, so it is easy to check on any questionable transactions. I always ring and let them know if I'm leaving the country and to expect transactions from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You could be looking at a bigger bill or worse by giving out personal details to randomers who phone you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Most people have online banking...

Many do, but certainly not most. Think beyond your own age group. Bank stats show something like 28% of accounts using online facilities.

Giving private details on the phone is a paradox certainly and something each person has to make a judgement call on as they arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

At the end of the day the companies are not only legally obliged to verify your identity, its for your own protection too. They can identify where they are calling from but should not divulge the department or purpose before you have been verified.
    This is a complete fallacy. There is no such restriction imposed by the law.
    If you are concerned about the legitimacy of the call, the caller should have no problem giving you a number to contact them back on, they will understand your concern, or simply take their full name and callback through a published customer service number and ask to be transferred over.
    Please gell me how you could possibly know if they are giving you a legitimate number ? or transferring you to someone else legitimate ?
    Imagine you took a credit card out ten years ago and at the time you had a company mobile phone which you used as your personal number which you never updated when you left the company.

''Hi John this is Angela from XYZ credit card's unpaid bills department, do you have a minute to talk?''

''Sorry this is not John he left the company 2 years ago, is he having problems paying his bills??''

In this situation you can imagine that the customer would have a genuine complaint as the company did carry out their obligations under Data Protection and Consumer protection legislation.
    Only because they directly transmitted the fact that the bill had not been paid.
    99 times out of a 100 no issue would arise but in this day and age its well worth putting up with the procedures in order to keep your information private.
    Yes it is. But not procedures that go beyond the law and beyond common sense.

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    I got one of these calls recently from ptsb. First I was asked for details which I wouldnt give, I asked what the call was in relation to and was told a suspicious transaction. About 15 mins earlier I had set up a Netflix account and when I mentioned this the girl said that's it thanks. Didn't need to give personal details and job still done. Well done ptsb.

Demonstrating how easy it is to deal witha situation in a common sense way without breaking the law. he saying that it was in relation to a suspicious transaction in no way breached the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

You won't because they lock down your card until you go through the security check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Piliger wrote: »

Please gell me how you could possibly know if they are giving you a legitimate number ? or transferring you to someone else legitimate ?
    I'm guessing that it would be very easily verified by checking the website of the company in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

From the data protection act:
    (d) appropriate security measures shall be taken against unauthorised access to, or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of, the data, in particular where the processing involves the transmission of data over a network, and against all other unlawful forms of processing.”,
    I dont think that just asking 'is that you' would be considered appropriate security measures.

Easily, they can call back through the main company switch if they have any concerns.

From the data protection act:
    Nothing there that has anything to say about disclosing the department or the topic. This is typical of the gross and widespread misunderstandings of the actual Act.

• Advertisement

Nothing there that has anything to say about disclosing the department or the topic. This is typical of the gross and widespread misunderstandings of the actual Act.

May i ask why you believe that compliance departments of all the financial institutions have misinterpreted the act? What should a company do to ensure that they are taking the necessary steps to protect their customers privacy when they are talking to them over the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In my dealings with realxex and Sky.

If I call them they will always call back to verify you are who you say you are.

May i ask why you believe that compliance departments of all the financial institutions have misinterpreted the act? What should a company do to ensure that they are taking the necessary steps to protect their customers privacy when they are talking to them over the phone?
    Stick with the Act.

Stick with the Act.

Specifics? What would you consider to be appropriate before giving a person access to your account information?

Advertisement