Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB meter / BoardGais nightmare

Options
  • 16-04-2013 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Wondering if anybody was in the same situation.

For around 18 months we were getting estimates bills which we paid by direct debit. Eventually got fed up when the first bill of 2013 came in and was way to high. Checked the meter and we did not own all of it. Cancelled the direct debit , refused to pay the bill ( BoardGais ) . Before the next bill was due i submitted the correct readings , got a bill for the correct amount and paid it. All good so far.

Now the fun starts , the ESB meter screen went dead and ESB couldn't read it . They came a week or 2 later and changed the meter , the readings starting at 0000 since the meter is new.
    Next bill has now arrived and what a bill !! It is a huge ESTIMATE :mad:( they couldn't read the meter ) .

Board Gais does not want to hear about it and tell me to call ESB.
    ESB send me back to BoardGais.

It is not our fault if the meter went dead yet we have to pay for electricity we did not use.
    The frustrating part of it is that nobody in ESB or BoardGais will listen to you , the only answer is pay your bill.

Any help on how to sort out this appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Write to Bord Gais and use the term "Formal Complaint" and give them 10 days to investigate and respond and if they dont sort it tell them again in writing that you want to escalate the complaint. and if that does not sort you out get onto the commission for energy regulation. You have no dealings with The ESB or ESB Networks, Your contract is with Bord Gais. it is up to them to interact with ESB Networks but they are painfully slow and quite useless from my own experience!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

they estimate in the case of a damaged meter, why did you never submit reads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

they estimate in the case of a damaged meter, why did you never submit reads?

i did submit a reading.
    Got estimate bills for 18 months so cancelled the direct debit , didn't pay the following bill as we did not own that much and then submitted a reading to square it up.

Only then the meter broke, we got the huge bill 2 days after they changed the meter. The guy came to read the meter (and he couldn't ) 10 days prior to that.

Will write to BoardGais and lodge with them a formal complain. Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ah sure ! wrote: »
    i did submit a reading.
    Got estimate bills for 18 months so cancelled the direct debit , didn't pay the following bill as we did not own that much and then submitted a reading to square it up.

Only then the meter broke, we got the huge bill 2 days after they changed the meter. The guy came to read the meter (and he couldn't ) 10 days prior to that.

Will write to BoardGais and lodge with them a formal complain. Thanks

you waited 18 months to submit a reading? if thats the case it wont do you any favours.

also if its your elec meter, your gripe is with esb networks not electric ireland, you can go through BG, but cutting out the middle man might be prudent if you want this sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The OP's issue is with the Electricity bill which is based on some figure generated using their history which is wholly false because of probably years of estimated bills at that address.

As the reading given by the op is actual and was taken near to the time the meter was replaced it should be taken and a nominal daily rate added for the time between the reading and the meter replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

also if its your elec meter, your gripe is with esb networks not electric ireland, you can go through BG, but cutting out the middle man might be prudent if you want this sorted

Wrong! You must go through you supplier.

are you sure? you can speak directly to networks about meter issues

are you sure?

Oh yes, I'm sure, I can assure you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

thanks all for your input.
    Called ESB , Board Gais , electric Ireland etc ....nobody wants to talk to me .
    Always paid my bills ( direct debit ) and want to pay this one but not this ridiculous estimate.
    Will write to them now and see how it goes.
    Regards

• Advertisement

Oh yes, I'm sure, I can assure you.

I would diagree

I would diagree

That's your prerogative but I have 41 years experience in the field and was involved with CER in market separation.

The OP must raise the official dispute/complaint with their supply company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I would diagree

You only have a contract with the company you pay money to.

Advertisement