Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sheesh's training log - training for weight loss

Options
  • 16-04-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

about 2 weeks ago I was on holiday and started smoking again (boo! :( ) I don't smoke in the house so I go out to the car and drive while smoking (so no one see me) I parked up in the local leisure centre to have my cigarette and began to think that if I was more active I might find it easier to quit. so I went inside to see the prices of gym membership to shorten the story i put money down and joined there and then.

sfter clearence from my doctor to do gym work I went into the gym. I'm 40 I have not been to a gym regularly in over 20 years so I walked up to the desk to ask for a run down on the machines. I walk for 20 minutes. cycled for 15 was freely sweating but did not feel like dying. I felt good. as I was leaving the guy who showed me the machines asked me did I want a program and booked me in with someone to give me a program of what to do.

The assessment
    The person assessing me was very nice she asked me a few questions about diet medical conditions, weighed me measured around the stomach and gave me an assessment.
    Basically I'm a big fat person. :eek: I'm not going into details but words like obeseity and diabetes were used.

I don't know how she managed it but at no time did I feel she was talking down to me or belittling me so props to her :).

She put me on a low intensity plan to up my metabolic rate
    treadmill 20 minutes
    bicycle 15 minutes
    rowing machine 8 minutes
    cross trainer 2 minutes
    every second day

on the rest days
    its the treadmill and one other machine

Result: so far it feels good its doable and I feel better after it I hope to continue it for the forseeable future. It seem wierd going to a gym and not killling yourself on the machines like I did when I was young but its a more sustainable and I intend to stick with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Fair play to you and great to hear you've found a nice instructor - that can be more important than anything when you're starting out. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

continued above regime this week some progress as well as some boredom doing it now.
    I have increased the speed of the threadmill and upped the incline. not as satisfying as last week. I must start bring music.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tontolicious

Mix it up in the gym so you dont get too bored.Get out an about walking.We have some amazing parks,beaches,mountains within our reach.The corpo and parks dept.are doin a great job erecting little exercise stations around city parks.The exercise stations on clontarf seafront are great.I started using them five weeks ago an feel really toned an good about meself.Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

would do a bit of walking outside of that too did 2 days of the dingle way last week and I take photographs too. thanks for that.:)

Advertisement