Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC HD and TV settings - optimum setup

• 16-04-2013 3:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

To all the learned folks out there, pardon my ignorance on this matter

My TV is a Samsung 43 inch plasma - 600hz 720p HD READY
    I recently got a UPC HD set top box

Im just wondering on the best settings / setup for my scenario to achieve the best picture.

On the side of the TV, there are 2 x HDMI ports :

1. HDMI IN 1 ( STB )
    2. HDMI IN 2 ( DVI )

Which one should I connect to the UPC box - or does it matter ?

Then in regard to settings on UPC

i.e on the UPC remote control, when I press : menu > settings > tv settings ( like in the attachment )

What are the best settings to have here ?

particularly in regard to the HDMI resolution , I have 3 options

(1) Auto
    (2) 720 p
    (3) 1080 i

And wondering which one is best to use ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

On the HDMI socket, I doubt it matters much; but I'd put it in HDMI 1 (STB). It's possible the TV might be set up with very slightly different settings for displaying video from a laptop than from TV, so safer using the Set Top Box option.

On the resolution, it's a bit more tricky. I've found lots of people recommending NOT to use Auto, as it on occasion can cause problems. I had it set to 720p, and recently tried 1080i and it's noticeably sharper. The drawback is supposedly if you have a fast moving picture (such as watching sports) the edges of items onscreen get a little fuzzy with 1080i, whereas the motion is smoother with 720. I honestly didn't notice much difference in that regard.

NOTE: I did have problems switching to 1080i (screen was initially blinking on and off), so if you're playing with this, make sure you note how to switch the resolution back (i.e. how many times to you have to tap down, then right, then return etc.)

Edit - sorry, I just saw your TV is 720p. In that case, set it to 720p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

who_me, thanks for that excellent reply

Anyone else share the same feelings as who_me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

who_me, thanks for that excellent reply

Anyone else share the same feelings as who_me ?

My TV is also HD Ready, but have my box set to 1080i. That's what HD channels are broadcast in

My TV is also HD Ready, but have my box set to 1080i. That's what HD channels are broadcast in

So for the best picture, should I set my UPC set top box at 1080i or 720p ?

So for the best picture, should I set my UPC set top box at 1080i or 720p ?

If you have a 720p HDTV, you're going to end up with a 720p picture regardless of that setting. The only question is - do you let the UPC box do the downscaling (from 1080i to 720p) or let the TV do it. Honestly, I doubt if you'd see much difference either way.

• Advertisement

Actually, my post above relates to HD content (especially if 1080i). Since you're probably going to be watching a lot of SD content too, you don't want that being upscaled on the UPC box to 1080i, then downscaled again to 720p on your TV. So, definitely leave your UPC box set to 720p, until such time as you get a 1080p HDTV. :)

who_me wrote: »
    Actually, my post above relates to HD content (especially if 1080i). Since you're probably going to be watching a lot of SD content too, you don't want that being upscaled on the UPC box to 1080i, then downscaled again to 720p on your TV. So, definitely leave your UPC box set to 720p, until such time as you get a 1080p HDTV. :)

Thanks again who_me, appreciated.
    Will be a while till I get the 1080i HDTV ; ))

who_me wrote: »

If one had a full HD 1080 P TV and then the set top box was 1080 i, does this cause issues ?

i.e. the that TV is 1080 P and the box is 1080 i
    the P versus I thing is what I mean...............if that makes sense :))

If one had a full HD 1080 P TV and then the set top box was 1080 i, does this cause issues ?

i.e. the that TV is 1080 P and the box is 1080 i
    the P versus I thing is what I mean...............if that makes sense :))

No, that's fine. A 1080p TV can show a 1080i channel no problem. I don't think many people sell 1080i TVs any more, just 720p and 1080p; and no channel that I'm aware of broadcasts in 1080p. It's all a bit silly anyway, since most HD channels are so data-compressed, the 720/1080 resolution becomes a bit irrelevant, but that's another story.

In case you're not aware, the 'p' means progressive, every line of the screen is drawn each 'frame'. For 'i' (interlaced) every second line is drawn each frame, so if there's rapid movement onscreen, the even and odd lines are slightly off causing an odd jaggedness. The reason everything isn't just in 1080p is it requires more bandwidth & storage.

Thanks again who_me

So as you know I have a HD ready Plasma 720 p TV with 600 HZ refresh rate and I have UPC HD set top box
    I only use my TV for watching sport and general tv ( dont use it for gaming etc )

Would a 1080 P Full HD LED TV with 100 Hz refresh rate be much better than the above TV or would it be hard to notice - in regard to picture clarity ?

And then thinking to the future that more and more channels will be changing to being broadcast in HD

• Advertisement

It's a bit subjective. Some say they can't see a difference, while others will swear blind they can tell the difference from 20ft away with a blindfold on...

Personally, I did think I saw an improvement when switching from 720p to 1080i on mine (a 42" 1080p Plasma). I do sit pretty close to the TV - maybe 8ft - as the room isn't very large. If you're sitting further back, the difference becomes less and less.

Plasmas are typically better for motion (not just sports, but if there's lots of movement or if the camera pans quickly).

I think if you have a Bluray player, the benefit of 1080p starts to really show. With a HD TV channel (which are typically heavily compressed) the difference is much narrower, but still exists.

Advertisement