Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with grass!

• 16-04-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, ive been trying to get my lawn consistant. i cut it, raked it, weeded it and sowed it in early march but then it froze. now some sort of plant has sproated all over it and i dont know what it is or what to do about it.

any advice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Looks like a bulb of some sort, only option is to dig it out and make sure you get it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I can't help you with how to get rid of it but I can ID it as a wild garlic, sometimes known as three cornered leek. Alium triquetrum, it is a prolific seeder!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭inspiron6000

I can't help you with how to get rid of it but I can ID it as a wild garlic, sometimes known as three cornered leek. Alium triquetrum, it is a prolific seeder!

cheers ill have to try something to get rid of it, i was hoping it might flower but its just ruining the grass now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could sell it. i'd love wild garlic for the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

You could try spot weeding the wild garlic plants.
    Just make sure you get them before they go to seed or your problem will just get worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Imho, i have a feeling that what you have is bluebells, if you dig up a small clump and compare pics online
    of both bluebells/ wild garlic bulbs it should give you an idea, if its the beautiful bluebell i would transplant (they wont be too deep,a few inches) in to flowerbeds elsewhere, fill the holes in the lawn,sprinkle of lawn seed, grass will be back in no time,
    just my twopence worth
    GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Imho, i have a feeling that what you have is bluebells, if you dig up a small clump and compare pics online
    of both bluebells/ wild garlic bulbs it should give you an idea, if its the beautiful bluebell i would transplant (they wont be too deep,a few inches) in to flowerbeds elsewhere, fill the holes in the lawn,sprinkle of lawn seed, grass will be back in no time,
    just my twopence worth
    GL

Do you know if bluebells spread like wild garlic does? I would like to plant some bluebells but don't want them taking over! I would also like to plant wild garlic but heard you need to be careful as it spreads like wildfire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Do you know if bluebells spread like wild garlic does? I would like to plant some bluebells but don't want them taking over! I would also like to plant wild garlic but heard you need to be careful as it spreads like wildfire?

Hi paddy
    I treat my bluebells like any of my perennial plants. every 2/3 years ill dig up and divide plant elsewhere give a few to friends, i would treat the wild garlic with the same routine, they are both bulb forming plants. its the rhizomatous plants that i find harder to control, so barriers beneath the ground stops these spreading rapidly.Hope this helps
    Happy gardening.
    beautiful day out, feels like summer at last.
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭inspiron6000

think they could be bluebells alright, there were flowers begining to show. have dug them up and going to lay seed this week. I'll replant some of them and see how they get on.

thanks for your advice

Advertisement