Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior cert english novel

• 16-04-2013 5:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭

are teachers free to pick any novel they feel suitable or are they confined to sticking with the optional texts mentioned in JC syllabus:

_roll of thunder hear my cry
    _the cay
    _Across the barricades
    _ to kill a mockingbird
    etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

You can have free rein over choice. war Horse became very popular in last year or two. Once you feel it suits the audience it is being pitched at. I reckon the SLSS probably has a wide list if you check their website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭crappyireland

You can have free rein over choice. war Horse became very popular in last year or two. Once you feel it suits the audience it is being pitched at. I reckon the SLSS probably has a wide list if you check their website

Yes that what i was thinking about free range..
    Yes I've heard War Horse is a good choice for students as they really engage with it!

thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Check with your students first as to what they've read, especially in Primary School. My son read 'War Horse' last year in 5th class (I think the teacher read it to them and then they did work on it) and his class did 'Goodnight Mr. Tom' this year in 6th class (each had their own book and read it as their class novel)...'The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas' was a popular choice in First Year a few years ago but now they all seem to have read it in Primary school. The Dept. of Ed reading list is very outdated at this stage...some of the classics like 'To Kill a Mockingbird' are still popular but they really need to update it. TESS magazine is good for ideas.

Advertisement