Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa 14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Just been looking at some player ratings, how in gods name is suarez still only 86 given last seasons performances he should easily be top 5, id love to know who rates the players on fifa cos its obvious they havent a bloody clue, i mean come on, tevez,cavani,rooney,silva,aguero,and even rvp, are rated higher thats just not right:eek:

Not sure what you mean by "even RVP".....RVP outscored every player you listed there last season, except Cavani.

Getting sick of it already and I'm only playing it a week.

Defo a FIFA record, I usually wouldn't have a bad word to say for a few months.

The controls are just so bad, they're destroyed dribbling. Dribbling used to be a skill, now you're better off just playing the wings or over the top and try to negate the penalty touches.

The main problem with defending headers is that your players don't jump just more often than not.

This was an occasional problem from play last year but now it happens from corners and 90% of the headers/corners I conceded came from players just running in a circle while they get a free header.

My biggest gripe though is the lack of control on loose balls, players just stand there looking at the ball and there's no auto to take a ball from someone when it's directly on your foot.

I conceded two in a recent game, first he shot and it was saved and parried, and my CB done a full circle around 2/3 yards away from the ball while one of his players nipped in and tucked it into the narrow corner.
    Same for his second goal, he crossed and took it down, my player just ran around in a circle near to his man and he finished.
    It's just extremely frustrating to see your men unable to latch onto a ball beside them, it's like its fully manual which is just too confusing to react to
    yourself given the accuracies needed and pace of the game.

Someone might try to say I don't know how to defend or to use LT etc, I know all the tricks, defending has always been my strongest point(averaged only something like 4.5 shots per game last year in D1)
    I've also only lost a few games so I'm not saying it from a ''I can't win so it's broken POV, record is something like 24-6-5 in UT and 10-4-1 in seasons.

I do like the new shooting and headers from KO type situations to an attacker are better.

But they really ruined it with the dribbling, inconsistency in execution from defending headers and the reactions to loose balls/balls within range.

*On momentum, I can't say I felt any of those losses/draws were scripted. The game in general just feels half finished.
    miralize wrote: »
    It is for fifa. Who wants to play a predictable yet frustrating computer?

Agree I think football goes in a bracket with FPS in that they're best enjoyed playing real players.

I could play NBA/Madden against the AI, but not football.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Played my first game of it last night and sweet mother of divine jesus they've absolutely ruined it. This is coming from a guy who had 400+ games played in Seasons in 13 and had reached Division 1 there. I was literally addicted to it. Looking forward very much to 14. Put down the controller after one game of this abomination that's how bad I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

cson wrote: »
    Played my first game of it last night and sweet mother of divine jesus they've absolutely ruined it. This is coming from a guy who had 400+ games played in Seasons in 13 and had reached Division 1 there. I was literally addicted to it. Looking forward very much to 14. Put down the controller after one game of this abomination that's how bad I thought it was.

I thought the same, still soldiering on and doing grand, still not fond of it one bit.

Small grace in the fact that the proper version will be out in a few weeks, provided you have the means to purchase the new consoles.

I rewatched some of the in game footage of the ONE/PS4 version to compare the controls after playing a few games of this and it doesn't seem as stiff on visual inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tip for dealing with headers from crosses. It doesn't work all the time and I still concede the odd goal from a cross, but since I've started to try to clear the ball with A (or X, the pass button) instead of B (or O to clear) the defender has a better chance of winning the battle and I am defending them better. When a ball comes in you press pass with full power and you'll defend more crosses than by trying to clear it, where the defender rarely gets off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Tip for dealing with headers from crosses. It doesn't work all the time and I still concede the odd goal from a cross, but since I've started to try to clear the ball with A (or X, the pass button) instead of B (or O to clear) the defender has a better chance of winning the battle and I am defending them better. When a ball comes in you press pass with full power and you'll defend more crosses than by trying to clear it, where the defender rarely gets off the ground.

I'm surprised people don't actually know this.
    You'll never win headers pressing the*B*button.

Hold down the *A* button and aim towards the ball. Make sure to have full power.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think you could notice the actual issues with fifa 14 after one game :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There is an achievement to complete a Be a Pro challenge, but there doesn't seem to be any Be a Pro challenges this week or last? :S WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

Agree. I have bought every single one of the yearly games since 96 (never the cup editions) and this year I got a chance to try it against my brother this weekend. It's awful. Control is non existent. I could'nt see any step forward from 13. The front menu is too busy and hangs forever getting online squads.

I cannot force myself to buy it, it is that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I haven't played it but it *looks* better than last years (having not really played that) because the ball looks more independent but my brother explained that's just appearances. It is crappy dribbling.

What I don't get is what they were smoking (or rather NOT smoking) to come up with such a ****ty representation of football when by all accounts last years was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Anyone play on the new patch yet lads? Word on the street is it actually fixed OP heading and finesse shots and lobbed through balls. I might actually enjoy online later.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Nolars wrote: »
    Anyone play on the new patch yet lads? Word on the street is it actually fixed OP heading and finesse shots and lobbed through balls. I might actually enjoy online later.

I would of preferred if they patched the dribbling & touches over the heading and thru balls

The biggest issue is really the defensive AI, which is making crosses and chip through balls OP. When you change defender to cover either, they hesitate for a second, leaving the striker free. Dribbling's fine IMO.

Yeah, they fixed dynamic camera! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Damien360 wrote: »
    Agree. I have bought every single one of the yearly games since 96 (never the cup editions) and this year I got a chance to try it against my brother this weekend. It's awful. Control is non existent. I could'nt see any step forward from 13. The front menu is too busy and hangs forever getting online squads.

I cannot force myself to buy it, it is that bad.

Cup editions, Oddly enough, Fifa World Cup 1998 was just as good, and even better than the Brilliant Fifa 1998 Road to World Cup, it was a good preview to Fifa 1999.

I would actually give Fifa a little slack this year, in that they are clearly focusing on the next generation Console, of course, why publish a haf baked lazy rehash?

Funny how it is doing so well in the charts. Brand alone wins it . It could be worse than what you say it might be (maybe you will get the hang of it) yet Fifa will see sell in the shed loads. It was clear from the demo, if you had previous versions , maybe sit this year out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

AdamD wrote: »
    The biggest issue is really the defensive AI, which is making crosses and chip through balls OP. When you change defender to cover either, they hesitate for a second, leaving the striker free. Dribbling's fine IMO.

Yeah I found this too. This edition favours the long ball and chip it over the defense merchants as opposed to the passing dribbling type of player. Kinda pissed off as I've honed my dribbling game through fifa13 only to have it almost nullified.

Dribbling and touch are not the problem this year. That is an intentional design to make FIFA play more like the real game. It's far more difficult to dribble past a whole team, not impossible, but when it happens it is special, unlike the previous FIFAs where a fast player can dance through a team. Touch as well, sometimes its frustrating, but I am glad the ridiculous ability to kill a ball dead and get the shot you want any time is gone.

The problem was lofted through balls and headers from crosses and corners. I downloaded the patch today and had a few games, lofted through balls are less effective for sure, I played 2 guys who obviously didn't know they had been patched and tried them all game with no success. Headers from corners and crosses however are still far too strong. Nothing more frustrating than conceding 3 goals in a game, all 3 from corners.

Know it has been asked before but didnt see an answer....is there a way to knock balls past players then, now that the right stick is just skill?

The amount of goals I've lost out on because I can't knock a ball past a keep anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Know it has been asked before but didnt see an answer....is there a way to knock balls past players then, now that the right stick is just skill?

The amount of goals I've lost out on because I can't knock a ball past a keep anymore :(

Simple skills are the best, ball rolls etc are crazy good when used effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

RT + Right stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Does anyone find it really hard to put attacks together down the middle? All the pace seems to be gone, most of the play is located in midfield. Ive got into the habit of always playing it down the wings.

Zed Bank wrote: »
    Does anyone find it really hard to put attacks together down the middle? All the pace seems to be gone, most of the play is located in midfield. Ive got into the habit of always playing it down the wings.

If you keep the ball on the deck and use a normal Y through ball, if you time it right as the defender is right on the offside line, you can get really good separation in behind.

If I have two up front I try to get it in to the feet of one, and dribble across behind the other striker to push him forward, then try and slip a ball in.

Teamshadowclan, you don't have to take it round a keeper, if the keeper is rushed at all a simple finesse shot works best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Game has definitely improved with the patch, had a fair few enjoyable online games last night. Seems smoother, and the over the top through balls are failing every time for those jokers who have no other string to their bow.

Don't get what everyone is saying about the heading, haven't conceded one goal to it yet. The attackers win more than in previous years yeah, but they did not win enough in previous years IMO so this is an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Sorry about this , but can someone explain to me what a "patch" is? Where do you get it from:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Sorry about this , but can someone explain to me what a "patch" is? Where do you get it from:confused:

If you are connected to the net, the game will tell you there is an update. It downloads and applies automatically. I assume your machine is not online ?

Agree with whats been said on the patch.

Lofted balls seem to be nerfed, but the headers don't seem much different though my sample count is 3/4 games so far.

I can handle someone scoring from a cross, as it's pretty easy to stop the winger you just have to commit to the tackle and not play it like previous games(waiting for the cut in)
    But the corners are headwrecking, and I'm not getting the same joy as others. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Damien360 wrote: »
    If you are connected to the net, the game will tell you there is an update. It downloads and applies automatically. I assume your machine is not online ?

Oh so thats what that is, cheers:D

Agree with whats been said on the patch.

Lofted balls seem to be nerfed, but the headers don't seem much different though my sample count is 3/4 games so far.

I can handle someone scoring from a cross, as it's pretty easy to stop the winger you just have to commit to the tackle and not play it like previous games(waiting for the cut in)
    But the corners are headwrecking, and I'm not getting the same joy as others. :confused:

Bringing your GK out to catch the corner works most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

gonna trade fifa13 and batman arkham asylum in gamestop, anybody know what ill have to pay on top of that?

Advertisement