Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa 14

Options

Comments

TheDoc wrote: »
    But for your corner scenario, I don't know. Just hasn't happened to me at all, I've no problems defending my corners bar occasions where I just genuinely get outplayed or jumped

I honestly don't know, perfectly fine for me, and like I said twelve other friends, where if this was happening to them I wouldn't hear the ****ing end of it.

Are you playing UT?.

Because the games I'm talking about are UT only.

I'm basically conceding an average of 1 corner a game, not scoring as many but I think that's cause of who I'm taking mine with.
    The reason Im not scoring them is the ball I'm putting in is crap, for most others its just a straight line ball to the same areas.

I know how to defend a headers, frankly it would be insulting to suggest any player who isn't a novice doesn't know how to see an X, get a CB there and hold the power for a clearance.

I have Dante in my main UT now, and it's the same result... gets outjumped and the ball rockets into the net 95% of the time.

Wouldn't mind but corners were fine last year, you often had to get a nice curl on it to beat the man marker trailing the run and then the header was a lottery(caught on the run= more power).
    All I see now is a straight line ball come in, attackers outjump defenders and bury them nearly every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Are you playing UT?.

Because the games I'm talking about are UT only.

Mix of both, oddly enough now that you mention it, few of the lads saying there is an abnormal amount of corner goals scored in their UT games.

But their reactions weren't, something broke, more that lads are getting class at shifting their marker and getting free headers. Or using people like Lukaku and Benteke who are beast in the air.

Mix of both, oddly enough now that you mention it, few of the lads saying there is an abnormal amount of corner goals scored in their UT games.

But their reactions weren't, something broke, more that lads are getting class at shifting their marker and getting free headers. Or using people like Lukaku and Benteke who are beast in the air.

Nah I'd say that was the case in 13 alright, to get the required separation and/or ball to get the required power you had to bend it.
    And like a FK(which is still similar to 13 may I add) regardless of the players ability it was hard to completely judge it time after time.

All these corners that I'm conceding from are just coming in, in a straight line and the CB is being outjumped(would be acceptable if it was a WB i.e like some crosses) consistently but more importantly the resulting header isn't varied like 13, it usually rockets in.

I upgraded to Dante yesterday and still shipped the same average(about one a game, while 4 in a 5-1 loss yesterday to deny me the point needed for promotion in the final game in another, he got two with Ramos but the other two were just average in the air players).

Its sort of reminding me of FIFA... 09?.
    Basically if you practised FK's for a few minutes you'd rifle in any within 30 yards.
    This in turn lead to players bringing the defender onto the line which some people still do(which is when a smart person passes it, but in that particular FIFA it was the lesser of two evils as the FK's were so easy).
    I don't know if it's a combination of the corner accuracy or the attacking header, but there's definitely too much of a bias to the attacking team.

Ya sure I could hit the arena and practice the type of ball needed and start doing it myself, but I'd rather concede the majority of my goals on merit then by corners.

I actually cringe when I give them away now, has lead me to panic bring the goalie(something I never done before) out which cost me 2/3(though maybe they'd have scored anyway as it's an on target header).

I think if you take those cheap corners out, and the ridic offsides(I use my goalie when under pressure, I've often kicked it forward and had players offside even though the ball wasnt in their half in a bit.... the offsides are way out of control and are defo worse than last year) the rest of it is manageable, they got some things wrong but improved others(Shooting, overhead clearance for lofted balls etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Starting to finally get use to the game , although id still prefer 13

Obv the new installments just need a bit of time to getting used to, but some of the play is annoying. I would of changing to PES only for it not coming out for the PS4/XB1

Ive started playing clubs which is great craic, the AI is much better this year.

Looking forward to playing it on PS4 now :)

So me and a few mates decided to try "replicate" the issue with players not selecting properly, and how to resolve it. Low and behold we could replicate the issue, and it's highly plausible as expected this is a playerbase issue, not adapting to a slight change in mechanics.

The Issue
    When defending corners and set pieces, when pressing LB to select a player to be close to the estimate trajectory of the ball, the system selects a different player somewhere else.

The impact
    Without controlling the player whereby the ball trajectory is going, most likely the opposing attacker get's a free header on goal.

The replication
    Easy to replicate. When the corner has been struck and has literally being kicked, select LB and the system selects a player away from the trajectory, providing in most cases, a free header for the attacker.

The cause
    Mis-understanding by the player, or misplay by the player. During set pieces, particularly corners. Before the ball is struck typically the system has a highlighted player, that to the user, does not appear to be anywhere near ball trajectory.
    Instinct of the user will be to press LB when the ball is kicked to control a player where trajectory is going. However this is incorrect, and "skips" the system already intellegently selecting a useful defender.

The resolution
    Do nothing. When the ball is struck from a corner, the system will intuitivly select the player best suited to defend the set piece. Pressing LB once the ball is kicked, will move on from the player the system has already selected to defend the corner.

Simple as that fellas. We ran through a number of "how the hell is this happening to so many people, yet not us". I think we just "coped" onto the fact the system picked the defender for us, and we didn't think about it. Easy to recreate, just as the ball is struck hit LB and then you get some random player selected, and ensures calamity trying to get back onto the proper defender.

Literally press nothing, and the system automatically selects the appropriate defender.

We did this messing about over the course of two hours. That's literally it lads, it genuinelly cannot be anything else. Unless there is some ****ed up bug where its so specific down to the likes of console type, profiles or teams selected. So as predicted, it appears to be a user error. Give it a whirl and let me know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

So me and a few mates decided to try "replicate" the issue with players not selecting properly, and how to resolve it. Low and behold we could replicate the issue, and it's highly plausible as expected this is a playerbase issue, not adapting to a slight change in mechanics.

The Issue
    When defending corners and set pieces, when pressing LB to select a player to be close to the estimate trajectory of the ball, the system selects a different player somewhere else.

The impact
    Without controlling the player whereby the ball trajectory is going, most likely the opposing attacker get's a free header on goal.

The replication
    Easy to replicate. When the corner has been struck and has literally being kicked, select LB and the system selects a player away from the trajectory, providing in most cases, a free header for the attacker.

The cause
    Mis-understanding by the player, or misplay by the player. During set pieces, particularly corners. Before the ball is struck typically the system has a highlighted player, that to the user, does not appear to be anywhere near ball trajectory.
    Instinct of the user will be to press LB when the ball is kicked to control a player where trajectory is going. However this is incorrect, and "skips" the system already intellegently selecting a useful defender.

The resolution
    Do nothing. When the ball is struck from a corner, the system will intuitivly select the player best suited to defend the set piece. Pressing LB once the ball is kicked, will move on from the player the system has already selected to defend the corner.

Simple as that fellas. We ran through a number of "how the hell is this happening to so many people, yet not us". I think we just "coped" onto the fact the system picked the defender for us, and we didn't think about it. Easy to recreate, just as the ball is struck hit LB and then you get some random player selected, and ensures calamity trying to get back onto the proper defender.

Literally press nothing, and the system automatically selects the appropriate defender.

We did this messing about over the course of two hours. That's literally it lads, it genuinelly cannot be anything else. Unless there is some ****ed up bug where its so specific down to the likes of console type, profiles or teams selected. So as predicted, it appears to be a user error. Give it a whirl and let me know how you get on

So your telling me the best way to deal with corners is not press lb/l1 to choose the player. Alright il try it later and see how I get on. What player switching method are you using just out of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Errrmmm my issue with player switching is in normal play and not from corners.

So your telling me the best way to deal with corners is not press lb/l1 to choose the player. Alright il try it later and see how I get on. What player switching method are you using just out of interest

We noticed that the system intuitivly picked a player who will be best placed to defend the set piece, automatically.

In regards to random switching in play, no experience of it happening yet.

But yeah try it, from corners or free kicks, press nothing, should auto pick the best placed defender

We noticed that the system intuitivly picked a player who will be best placed to defend the set piece, automatically.

In regards to random switching in play, no experience of it happening yet.

But yeah try it, from corners or free kicks, press nothing, should auto pick the best placed defender

il try it an let you know how I get on. Are you auto switching or air balls in settings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

il try it an let you know how I get on. Are you auto switching or air balls in settings

Ye I play with everything on manual, so assume this wouldnt work for me. But I will test the theory and see.

• Advertisement

Not sure what the other lads have, but I'm pretty much defaults

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So you're saying on this game you don't press L1 to change player when they cross it in, it'll pick the correct player for you, and by pressing L1 we're changing to the wrong player?

I'll try it though I have my doubts as every other Fifa you've had to change player on corners IIRC

Doesn't really sort out the issue of player switching in normal play. Though its funny how your group of people seem to have not encountered this yet the group of people I play with are being driven nuts by it. And they aren't bad players either.

AdamD wrote: »
    So you're saying on this game you don't press L1 to change player when they cross it in, it'll pick the correct player for you, and by pressing L1 we're changing to the wrong player?

I'll try it though I have my doubts as every other Fifa you've had to change player on corners IIRC

Doesn't really sort out the issue of player switching in normal play. Though its funny how your group of people seem to have not encountered this yet the group of people I play with are being driven nuts by it. And they aren't bad players either.

I wonder could it be our game data somehow and if we were to reinstall fifa would that solve anything? Or am I talking absolute sh**e :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What I do for corners is as soon as its about to be taken I use the right stick to control the guy on the near post, then when it's played in I move him back to deal with the header. It doesn't work every time, but it's absolutely better than just switching player and letting the opposition jump over your back, if your standing still or coming to the ball I find you get out jumped almost every time, but I move my guy back from the ball and use A for pass to head it and I've been conceding less, maybe 1 goal every 4 corners as opposed to a goal every time. Still far too many.

Right heres my update thanks to doc for the corner tip. Thats solved that problem. Now if we cud solve the switching when crosses come in or even general switching. Il be laughing. Lost 3-1 there from headers. All crosses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Feeling slightly like a mug tbh, just played a few games on UT. It was all me, followed Doc's advice and pressed nothing, it gave me the correct defender each time for corners.

Open play feels a bit iffy still but I do think the problem could again be my overactive player switching, seems to work better if I just let the AI do the switching when the ball goes through the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ive played over 60 games and have only conceded like 4 goals from corners and about 10 from crosses. Might help that my CBs are Mertersaker, Hummels and Subotic.
    Since the update, Ive managed to tighten up my defence alot

Played 6 games there. Lost all 6. Conceded none from corners. All from from either crosses Or stupidity. Dont think I have the patience for it anymore. Think il have to sit this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Played 6 games there. Lost all 6. Conceded none from corners. All from from either crosses Or stupidity. Dont think I have the patience for it anymore. Think il have to sit this one out.

If you lost 6 out of 6 you just might not be very good at the game and I can see how that would be frustrating.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    If you lost 6 out of 6 you just might not be very good at the game and I can see how that would be frustrating.

I won division 1 in seasons in fifa 12 and 13 and won division 1 in ut last year multiple times but no your quite right I must not be very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

@TheDoc,thank you so much for the corner tips. 4 games in a row without conceding from a corner now. It feels good.

Surely the whole ''Don't switch players'' doesn't work if you use Manual switching with ''None'' on air ball help?.
    Also surely I'm not the only player who uses fully automatic switching?. :O

I've been setting up for corners as I always have, take hold of my biggest CB, hold him in a central position and then try to get to the landing area.

I'm not having a problem getting to the drop zone, just the CB isn't winning the header.
    If I need to switch on the fly, I always use the analogue.

I haven't played in two days, but I know if I press nothing I'll just be left standing still with whoever I was controlling :pac:

Is the issue others are having that pressing L1 is giving them the wrong players meaning the opposition are getting unopposed headers?.
    This isn't the case with me, I'm getting there.... it just seems to me the corners are too easy to hit those sweet spots and less of a curling ball is needed, with the resulting header being easier to power from a standing position compared to needing a run before.

I won division 1 in seasons in fifa 12 and 13 and won division 1 in ut last year multiple times but no your quite right I must not be very good.

Sorry yeah, you must be great, a 0% win rate is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Is the issue others are having that pressing L1 is giving them the wrong players meaning the opposition are getting unopposed headers?.

That was the issue for me anyway. I was conceding about 1 or so a game before I stopped doing this.

Sorry yeah, you must be great, a 0% win rate is pretty good.

At the moment my record on 14 stands at 40 11 15. Not saying im the best. But im alot better then this games makes it out to be. The open play switching is letting me down. Along with players not running when they should. And I conceded a good few corners

At the moment my record on 14 stands at 40 11 15. Not saying im the best. But im alot better then this games makes it out to be. The open play switching is letting me down. Along with players not running when they should. And I conceded a good few corners

Fair enough, pretty good record actually. I was only saying you weren't great based on the fact you said you lost 6 out of 6. I thought they were the only games you had played on the game.

Fair enough, pretty good record actually. I was only saying you weren't great based on the fact you said you lost 6 out of 6. I thought they were the only games you had played on the game.

No im in division 6 or 7. Still I know I should be winning the matches which is the annoying thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Anyone else having serious lag on the PS3 version? I literally haven't played one game without lag.

Every game it stutters slightly every 5 or 6 seconds and my input is about half a second off. Never had a problem with the xbox versions of FIFA. My connection is fine. I'm not sure whether it's FIFA or the PS3 itself.

Should not be getting lag with this connection.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 38218 kbps (4777.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 12083 kbps (1510.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 31 ms

Pretty close to giving up playing this because of the lag. Also, I seem to lose connection to EAFC fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭risteardb

v3ttel wrote: »
    Anyone else having serious lag on the PS3 version? I literally haven't played one game without lag.

Every game it stutters slightly every 5 or 6 seconds and my input is about half a second off. Never had a problem with the xbox versions of FIFA. My connection is fine. I'm not sure whether it's FIFA or the PS3 itself.

Should not be getting lag with this connection.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 38218 kbps (4777.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 12083 kbps (1510.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 31 ms

Pretty close to giving up playing this because of the lag. Also, I seem to lose connection to EAFC fairly regularly.

i seem to have the same problem.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭risteardb

i have still not scored one header from a corner, and shamingly have coceded qoute a few, anybody any helpful tips for a scoring a few..

Advertisement