Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Tasks in a Company

Options
  • 16-04-2013 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

My boss is making me feel crazy for suggesting his way's are crazy! Can someone tell me objectively whether they think this is effective business practice for Task Management

Scheduling a task:
    1/ Set up an 'appointment' (which is an internal task) in Google calender with a time to do the work. Invite collegues
    2/ Set up the same task in Insightly (professional task management software) with a due date, appoint a task manager
    Working on a task:
    1/ Add notes to Google calender, set up a new 'appointment' with follow up work and copy notes accross
    2/ add notes to Insightly, save related emails to it, tick task off as complete or admend due date if follow up work is needed
    Completing a task
    1/ Add notes they are completed to google calender
    2/ tick off as completed on the task in Insightly and add notes and upload any paper work
    3/ Fill in a Work Completed form and print for your daily folder to show the boss what tasks youve completed
    4/ Fill in a daily productivity spreadsheet which is not linked to the above with how many tasks (which you could see through Google, Insightly or the Work Completed Form!!)
    5/ Fill in a separate charge sheet which amazing isnt included in any of the above and send to accounts

My main beef is the duplication, am I crazy or is my boss? Every time i suggest ways of streamlining this I am smothered with email's the length of which you have never seen explaining why he is in fact right. For me we should just use Insightly, it records all the same things and he can pull of a daily report of tasks completed.

The frustration isn't the main problem for me, the above procedures tack on another hour to my day (takes about 15 min per task) which either end in me working longer or working my hours and not hitting targets.

Half of that is a vent, but please tell me I am not going mad in here!? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

http://www.taskmessenger.com/

Have a look at the above link, might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I take it neither of you are self-employed! So if there is a business owner in the company, ask his/her opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

That's a ludicrous amount of duplication. But most of the time I see people doing this they just arn't aware of the alternatives.

There are software packages available, sure someone could even code you a specific one for your business, but it all depends on the business itself. I'm pretty sure I could write a simple piece of software to do all that in a few days, its not overly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Hi johnolocher. I am one of the Co-founders of TaskMessenger (as suggested in the post by capefear).

Let me know if you get a chance to look at TaskMessenger and if you have any questions.

Advertisement