Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk stereotype and "rebel music"; just another genre?

Options
  • 16-04-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

I have started another thread so that I cannot be accused of derailing the other one.

At risk of getting a rap on the knuckles for daring to disagree with a mod:
    cournioni wrote:
    Rebel music is a genre of music, just like techno, indie or death metal.

"Rebel music" is not simply a genre of music*; it's an expression of an ideological viewpoint, specifically one which is followed by many people who think violence is acceptable and/or do not recognise the authority of the State.

There is a perception in other parts of the country that everyone in Dundalk espouses that ideology. That perception is incorrect. When the Omagh bomb went off, the eyes of Ireland and the world turned to Dundalk (unfortunately, it turned out that the perpetrators did in fact come from the surrounding area). However, one week later, the biggest ever crowd assembled in the town took to the streets to say "Not in Our Name".

My point is that although there are a few rotten apples, most of the barrel is grand, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All I can say to that is - +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

All I can say to that is - +1

Congratulations on your 4,000th post, and I'm glad to have been the one to inspire it!

I just re-read my own post:
    ..."Rebel music" is not simply a genre of music*...

and I couldn't resist:

249729.jpg

(This is the first time I've ever made one of these; Is it any good?)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

[QUOTE

(This is the first time I've ever made one of these; Is it any good?)[/QUOTE]

Not really.:D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have started another thread so that I cannot be accused of derailing the other one.

At risk of getting a rap on the knuckles for daring to disagree with a mod:

"Rebel music" is not simply a genre of music*; it's an expression of an ideological viewpoint, specifically one which is followed by many people who think violence is acceptable and/or do not recognise the authority of the State.

There is a perception in other parts of the country that everyone in Dundalk espouses that ideology. That perception is incorrect. When the Omagh bomb went off, the eyes of Ireland and the world turned to Dundalk (unfortunately, it turned out that the perpetrators did in fact come from the surrounding area). However, one week later, the biggest ever crowd assembled in the town took to the streets to say "Not in Our Name".

My point is that although there are a few rotten apples, most of the barrel is grand, thanks!
    I do not mind the fact that you've started this post, in fact I encourage it. However, I do think you owe Maikomi an apology for derailing his thread and accusing him of doing anything other than asking a question about whether there are any trad or rebel sessions on in Dundalk when there are many similar events in other towns and cities around the country every week.

As someone who was born in Dundalk, lived both in it and outside of it for a number of years, I think it says more about your own perception of Dundalk than anything.

Rebel music is simply a genre of music. It is not to my taste but I do appreciate the fact that people can listen to it without a connection or love for any "preachings" in the music. Music is only what the listener perceives it to be. Some enjoy it for the sound of it, others enjoy the story being told, some enjoy the irony in the lyrics etc., which is why I included Death Metal in my point in the other post.

People don't listen to death metal because they would like to go out and kill somebody, they like it because that is what they like listening to, it is what makes them feel good and express themselves, not by killing somebody but to enjoy the power of the music in their ears. The same goes for punk, most people love the music for what it is and it makes them feel like they are part of something, if every punk fan in the world actually believed in its "ideology", there would be a hell of a lot more "anarchy" around the world.

To quote Frank Zappa, "they're just words". Only the idiots take them seriously, and these people would have been idiots long before they listened to the music.

You may feel that Rebel Music has some sort of connection to Dundalk and the border counties, but I certainly don't and I don't know many others that do. Like I said, I think it's more to do with your perception of Dundalk than anything else.

I will leave this thread open for anybody who has anything else to add about Dundalk's "Rebel Music Sereotype".

I have sent you a private message regarding your last paragraph, which has been deleted for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I think our mods should be commended for letting this run. Other places it'd have been shut and further action taken.

Shows a lot for our little community as it stands.

I don't agree that Rebel music is a stereotype and certainly not one of a negative order toward our fair town. It's a genre type. Something to be enjoyed by all and something in some senses that tells a story of our Nations history.

Cork was probably more "rebel" that Dundalk was pre 22. I can't see many Cork people taking exception to the term Rebel Songs.

I think some may have missed the fact that I was making 2 points:

1. Rebel music is an expression of a political ideology.

2. There is a perception/stereotype that Dundalk has a high percentage of people who believe in that ideology.

I wasn't saying that the stereotype is that Dundalk people listen to rebel music.

I agree completely that people don't listen to death metal because they want to go out and kill people. But I disagree completely that the same applies to rebel music.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭Spanish Harlem

Completely agree with the OP. With lyrics like "Go home British soldier, you've got no home of your own", how can anyone argue that rebel music isn't an expression of a political ideology? Imagine how uncomfortable a British tourist might feel sitting in a pub while some bigoted yob is roaring offensive rebel lyrics at the top of his lungs.

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Completely agree with the OP. With lyrics like "Go home British soldier, you've got no home of your own", how can anyone argue that rebel music isn't an expression of a political ideology? Imagine how uncomfortable a British tourist might feel sitting in a pub while some bigoted yob is roaring offensive rebel lyrics at the top of his lungs.

It's mildly ironic that you'd be so concerned about others being offended by bigots given some of your own posts elsewhere.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I can't say I didn't try to let this thread run, but there has been just too many personal jibes for it to go on. It can only lead to more of the same and bans.

Therefore the thread is locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement