Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling bathroom floor of rented apartment.

Options
  • 16-04-2013 6:58pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am currently renting an apartment and I can see myself being here for the foreseeable future. The only issue I have is that there is this terrible linoleum floor on the bathrooms instead of a tiled floor. Apart from that all is very good.

So I've been thinking about approaching the landlord and asking if I could get the bathroom floors tiled at either my expense or a shared expense, the LL pays for the for the tile and I pay for the tiler or vice versa.

It should not be a ridiculous amount of money, the bathrooms are in total about 6sq meters as they are small and one is only an ensuite. I reckon a days work at most and its only the floor, the walls are fine.

Has anyone ever done this before? Am I crazy to do this?

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This is going to be commonplace in 10 years Paddy as folks settle in for longer term renting. German tenants renovate their kitchens/bathrooms as well at their expense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

murphaph wrote: »
    This is going to be commonplace in 10 years Paddy as folks settle in for longer term renting. German tenants renovate their kitchens/bathrooms as well at their expense.

Yeah I have friends living on the continent who have been renting for years and in some countries, sign 9 year + leases at a time.

I have been renting for years and its just handier for me as I have moved around a bit with work and I hate commuting so if I find a place I like, I have no problems spending a few quid sprucing it up and bit, after all its my home while I'm living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

You will have to accept that unless you have a long term lease that protects you then you can be given 1 or 2 months notice to move out. Not sure I would put too much into it with that uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am currently renting an apartment and I can see myself being here for the foreseeable future. The only issue I have is that there is this terrible linoleum floor on the bathrooms instead of a tiled floor. Apart from that all is very good.

So I've been thinking about approaching the landlord and asking if I could get the bathroom floors tiled at either my expense or a shared expense, the LL pays for the for the tile and I pay for the tiler or vice versa.

It should not be a ridiculous amount of money, the bathrooms are in total about 6sq meters as they are small and one is only an ensuite. I reckon a days work at most and its only the floor, the walls are fine.

Has anyone ever done this before? Am I crazy to do this?

Tox

Good tenants are worth their salt and a good landlord should recognise this and agree some sort of deal with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

The house we are renting has awful lino flooring in the kitchen and we are tiling it ourselves, buying the tiles and my husband putting them down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

kkelliher wrote: »
    Good tenants are worth their salt and a good landlord should recognise this and agree some sort of deal with you

Unfortunately I have all too frequently experienced landlords who see tenants as a walking cash machine and nothing more. I'm hoping that wont be the case with my current landlord as I have had limited dealings with them, so fingers crossed.
    lukesmom wrote: »
    The house we are renting has awful lino flooring in the kitchen and we are tiling it ourselves, buying the tiles and my husband putting them down.

If I had the skills to do this, I certainly would. Any chance when he's finished you can send him over my way?? Food and Beer provided in plenty :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think it's a good idea and LL should jump at it. Id offer to buy and choose tiles, as that is likely to be cheaper than labour, and you can then choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most landlords would agree to this but with conditions.

1) They choose the tile or at least agree it
    2) They approve the final work (you could put them down all wrong)
    3) You take liability for injuries resulting from carrying out the job.

May seem a bit much but if you think about it , quite reasonable.

As a LL I wouldn't have a problem paying for all the materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd love if the tenants showed an interest in improving the place. Shows they will be there for a while, and probably won't wreck it. Do run it past him/her of course to make sure. I'd be happy to pay for the materials for this as a landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Most landlords would agree to this but with conditions.

1) They choose the tile or at least agree it
    2) They approve the final work (you could put them down all wrong)
    3) You take liability for injuries resulting from carrying out the job.

May seem a bit much but if you think about it , quite reasonable.

As a LL I wouldn't have a problem paying for all the materials.
    I agree with RP here.

Also, if you pay for the tiles (colour etc by agreement between you both) and the landlord organizes and pays for the fitting. This way, if there is a problem with the quality of work, it is the landlord's responsibility.

Safer for both landlord and tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Before you put down the tiles, check for any water damage when you take up the lino.

Cheers for all the responses guys.

I won't be putting them down myself, as its not my property, I would be afraid of making a mess of it and want it done right. So I shall be looking for a decent experienced tiling contractor with proof of their work and who has proper insurance in place. (if the landlord doesn't know someone already)

The plan would be to put down some neutral coloured tiles that will brighten up the 2 x bathrooms as they have no windows so can be a bit dark but I've already put in some higher wattage bulbs which helped. Both the bathroom and ensuite have plain white tiles around the bath, shower and sink units so I'll probably stick with white floor tiles that have some grip in them.

All lino will be lifted a few days before hand to let the floor breathe a little and also to check for damp spots. The floor will also be thoroughly cleaned of anything that was below the lino and washed properly too with time to dry thoroughly.

Anything I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

odds_on wrote: »
    I agree with RP here.

Also, if you pay for the tiles (colour etc by agreement between you both) and the landlord organizes and pays for the fitting. This way, if there is a problem with the quality of work, it is the landlord's responsibility.

Safer for both landlord and tenant.

I agree with this; if the landlord is happy to split the cost then Id be looking to buy the materials and let the landlord find the person they are happy with to carry out the work. Even if you are going to bear all of the cost Id still be inclined to let the landlord pick the tiler if possible; the last thing you want is to have the landlord come back to you at some point in the future and claim that the work carried out was not up to scratch and try look for you to cover the cost of repairs or whatever (I dont know how far they would get with such a claim but it doesnt seem worth the hassle).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Tiles should last 5 years or more so unless you are signed up for more than 5 years you could offer to pay half.
    The way I look at is anything that I wont take with me when I move out I will only pay a contribution towards the use of.

Tiles should last 5 years or more so unless you are signed up for more than 5 years you could offer to pay half.
    The way I look at is anything that I wont take with me when I move out I will only pay a contribution towards the use of.

Any legit LL should do this for the tax return reasons. It is a no brainier and I would welcome any tenant that wants an improvement. I rely of tenants to tell me of their comfort. I really want people happy in the property I provide. Personally I put money into the property on mostly the same level of my own when it comes to things like heating, windows etc... Bathroom and kitchens will be basics but quality. Flooring is one that can be tricky as expensive stuff requires maintenance or care which tenants don't really like to do. Dark colours and cheap carpet and lino is generally a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

pwurple wrote: »
    I'd love if the tenants showed an interest in improving the place. Shows they will be there for a while, and probably won't wreck it. Do run it past him/her of course to make sure. I'd be happy to pay for the materials for this as a landlord.

Couldn't agree more. As a tenant I've been in my place coming on 4 years now and don't intend budging for at least another two or three.

Since I've been here the landlady has agreed to painting the living room and main bedroom. Later next month she is replacing the living room carpet and repainting the spare room and hallway. I've painted the bathroom myself in the intervening period.

I was kinda planking myself asking her for a new carpet but it is worn (8 years use) and in bad need of replacement. Her reaction was excellent, she said she was happy to see me make the place home and hoped I'd stay another few years yet, which I fully intend to do.

RATM wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. As a tenant I've been in my place coming on 4 years now and don't intend budging for at least another two or three.

Since I've been here the landlady has agreed to painting the living room and main bedroom. Later next month she is replacing the living room carpet and repainting the spare room and hallway. I've painted the bathroom myself in the intervening period.

I was kinda planking myself asking her for a new carpet but it is worn (8 years use) and in bad need of replacement. Her reaction was excellent, she said she was happy to see me make the place home and hoped I'd stay another few years yet, which I fully intend to do.

You're very lucky to have a landlord like that, they are worth their weight in gold and are few n far between. :)

Any legit LL should do this for the tax return reasons. It is a no brainier and I would welcome any tenant that wants an improvement. I rely of tenants to tell me of their comfort. I really want people happy in the property I provide. Personally I put money into the property on mostly the same level of my own when it comes to things like heating, windows etc... Bathroom and kitchens will be basics but quality. Flooring is one that can be tricky as expensive stuff requires maintenance or care which tenants don't really like to do. Dark colours and cheap carpet and lino is generally a good idea.

I have found that lino looks cheap and doesn't age well, it also takes the whole look off a nice kitchen or bathroom. Good quality tiles are a much better choice, last longer and look better.

My personal choice would be for wooden floors throughout a property. Much better option than carpets, easier to maintain and clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You're very lucky to have a landlord like that, they are worth their weight in gold and are few n far between. :)

Yeah she is really sound and I'm glad to have her as a landlady.

She's in Canada too so I haven't actually seen her in about 3 years now. Her dad does any maintenance jobs that are beyond my own ability. Always done with minimum of fuss and even though he know I don't mind him letting himself in he always calls a few hours in advance to check its okay.

I have found that lino looks cheap and doesn't age well, it also takes the whole look off a nice kitchen or bathroom. Good quality tiles are a much better choice, last longer and look better.

My personal choice would be for wooden floors throughout a property. Much better option than carpets, easier to maintain and clean.

I agree in your own home but tenants seem to destroy things. I have removed tiles and wooden floors after putting them in for that reason. Never cracked a floor tile in my life yet tenants somehow managed to do it. Somehow the same flooring in my house is perfect after 8 years but only lasted 3 years in rented places. Varnish destroyed and marks all over the floor. Laminate flooring was destroyed within a year. Carpet and lino are cheaper and easier to replace and actually last longer from my experience in a rented place.

• Advertisement

I agree in your own home but tenants seem to destroy things. I have removed tiles and wooden floors after putting them in for that reason. Never cracked a floor tile in my life yet tenants somehow managed to do it. Somehow the same flooring in my house is perfect after 8 years but only lasted 3 years in rented places. Varnish destroyed and marks all over the floor. Laminate flooring was destroyed within a year. Carpet and lino are cheaper and easier to replace and actually last longer from my experience in a rented place.

Jeez you've had a rough time with tenants so. No idea how someone could break a floor tile :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

No idea how someone could break a floor tile :confused:

it's easier than you'd think! my father dropped a mug onto the kitchen floor at home and the mug smashed, chipping the tile in the process.

sam34 wrote: »
    it's easier than you'd think! my father dropped a mug onto the kitchen floor at home and the mug smashed, chipping the tile in the process.

ugh!!.. Jeez when I think of the amount of things I have dropped at home on my own tile floor (including myself :D), I haven't cracked one yet and hope I never will :P

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

I too wonder how tenants break stuff.
    I have the exact same tv unit on my own house as i had in an apartment.
    I have mine, in perfect condition for 5 years. The one in the apartment had to be replaced after a year.
    And dont get me started on the rate at which tenants go through shower hoses.
    I have one in my house thats lasted many years. Same one in apartments only last months.
    How .........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ugh!!.. Jeez when I think of the amount of things I have dropped at home on my own tile floor (including myself :D), I haven't cracked one yet and hope I never will :P

oh i know, lots of things have been dropped on that floor before and after he chipped the tile but theres only been damage that one time.

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    I have mine, in perfect condition for 5 years. The one in the apartment had to be replaced after a year.
    I have one in my house thats lasted many years. Same one in apartments only last months.

Yeah I wondered that myself, went through a period of moves due to houses/apartments being sold by the landlords and owner occupiers purchasing the properties and wanting to live there. Almost every single place I moved into, the shower heads/hoses were in bits :confused:

I only move the shower hose/head when I'm washing the shower/bath or cleaning the showerhead.. and even then how do you break it??

Another thing I cant understand, why dont people hoover under beds and sofas??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Another thing I cant understand, why dont people hoover under beds and sofas??? :confused:

I can't understand why people would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Jeez you've had a rough time with tenants so. No idea how someone could break a floor tile :confused:
    sam34 wrote: »

Or you might, say, be topping up a half empty bottle of your Mam's bacardi with bathroom tap water after a night out, hear the door open when she wasn't supposed to be home from work for an hour, panic and drop it on the floor. I have it on decent authority that that will smash a tile.

PhilMcGee wrote: »

I actually have a spare washing machine waiting for when one of the tenants will break theirs. I can plumb a washing machine in minutes because I have done it so often. Same machine I have had for 8 years yet lasted about a year in rental.

I think they just overload the machine and also wash runners in it. Tenants do not treat rental property very well. I have given up querying how it happens because they will lie about it.

They break beds at a rate too. No their child wasn't jumping up and down on it is always the response.

• Advertisement

Or you might, say, be topping up a half empty bottle of your Mam's bacardi with bathroom tap water after a night out, hear the door open when she wasn't supposed to be home from work for an hour, panic and drop it on the floor. I have it on decent authority that that will smash a tile.

Oops!! :D:D:D

Advertisement