Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling bathroom floor of rented apartment.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It should be pointed out that homeowners are just as likely to break washing machines, beds, crack tiles etc; believe it or not **** happens sometimes! Anyone can drop something heavy and break a floor tile; its not something that is unique to tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

djimi wrote: »
    It should be pointed out that homeowners are just as likely to break washing machines, beds, crack tiles etc; believe it or not **** happens sometimes! Anyone can drop something heavy and break a floor tile; its not something that is unique to tenants.

It does happen but if you actually have experience with being a LL you soon discover it happens much more. It is much more likely to happen in a rented place. 4 washing machines 2 in rented places 2 ,1 in my house, 1 in my mothers. All the same make, 2 in rented places don't last 2 years. The others last 10 and 8 years. How do you explain that?

Never cracked a floor tile in my life, 3 places the tiles are broken within a year.

If they had to pay for it I doubt it would happen. Are they happy to pay for the damage? Not a chance, every argument under the sun about how it must be poor quality and my fault. Great when you spot the issue and they never told you and how they don't know how it happened.

I just expect it now and put it into running costs. I don't think it is malicious just disregard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

UDP wrote: »
    You will have to accept that unless you have a long term lease that protects you then you can be given 1 or 2 months notice to move out. Not sure I would put too much into it with that uncertainty.

Not if you have a part 4 lease...

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It does happen but if you actually have experience with being a LL you soon discover it happens much more.

Unless you have access to the property of every homeowner around then I dont think you are in a position to say this tbh.
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It is much more likely to happen in a rented place. 4 washing machines 2 in rented places 2 ,1 in my house, 1 in my mothers. All the same make, 2 in rented places don't last 2 years. The others last 10 and 8 years. How do you explain that?

Never cracked a floor tile in my life, 3 places the tiles are broken within a year.

If they had to pay for it I doubt it would happen. Are they happy to pay for the damage? Not a chance, every argument under the sun about how it must be poor quality and my fault. Great when you spot the issue and they never told you and how they don't know how it happened.

I just expect it now and put it into running costs. I don't think it is malicious just disregard.

Im not saying that there arent tenants out there who dont look after things; Im saying that there are just as likely to be homeowners who behave in the same way. Anyone can break a floor tile. Ive known plenty of homeowners who have broken washing machines by doing stupid things like overfilling them or putting runners in them etc. It happens in all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Unless you have access to the property of every homeowner around then I dont think you are in a position to say this tbh..
    Maybe you should read up on probability and statistics. You don't need to see everything to figure out likelihood. I have enough friends and family to know they don't replace washing machines every 2 years like can happen in a rental property. Don't need to see into every house to know that is not normal wear and tear.

Im not saying that there arent tenants out there who dont look after things; Im saying that there are just as likely to be homeowners who behave in the same way. Anyone can break a floor tile. Ive known plenty of homeowners who have broken washing machines by doing stupid things like overfilling them or putting runners in them etc. It happens in all walks of life.

I know what you are saying but I am not seeing what you are basing it on. You are being overly defensive of tenants. There are people here telling you how tenants manage to break things that they have no problems with. It's human nature to be more carful of things you have to pay for than things you don't. Just be realistic and listen to what people are saying as experienced people dealing with tenants.

The big difference is if a homeowner damages their appliances they pay for it and lesson learned a tenant doesn't pay so does it again. That is my experience over 20 years of renting to about 40-50 people.

• Advertisement

Fair enough; Im not entirely sure why Im bothering arguing this. I dont agree with this notion that tenants dont take as good care of things in their property as homeowners, but if you have experienced different from being a landlord then so be it. Of all the family and friends I have known who have rented I dont think I can think of anyone who has caused damage to a property or appliance above and beyond what a homeowner might do, but thats my experience I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Another favorite of mine candles. They light candles on dressers and shelves right up against the wall and there are black streaks up the wall.
    Move the candles out a bit. Problem solved.
    Whats the obsession with candles. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Another favorite of mine candles. They light candles on dressers and shelves right up against the wall and there are black streaks up the wall.
    Move the candles out a bit. Problem solved.
    Whats the obsession with candles. :D

I moved into a place a few years ago that two girls had been renting before me. There were bloody candle holders every where. Thought I was moving into a bloody witches coven.

Was half expecting to see a five pointed star scraped into the floor under the bed!!!! :D

Advertisement