Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem opening pdf files directly from MS Outlook 2010

Options
  • 16-04-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone seen an issue where you can open and view pdf files no problem from folders etc but cant open them directly from with an email (Outlook 2010). It tries to open Adobe Reader (running latest XI version) but comes up with an error message. "There was an error opening this document. Access denied"

However if I have Adobe Reader running first then click on the pdf attachment it will open ok. And similarly if I allow the preview function in the email to view it in-line it will then open directly from Outlook with a dbl-click.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling Adobe Reader but no luck.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you tried repairing Outlook?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

FSL wrote: »
    Have you tried repairing Outlook?

Yeah tried that no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You might need to edit blocked attachments and allow .pdf file extension

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Have you tried going into Control Panel / Default Programs to see if Adobe Reader is set as the default program for pdf files.

It might also be useful to download and run Ccleaner which cleans up your temp files - when you double click on an attachment, Outlook saves it to a temporary folder and then tries to open it using the default program for that file type.

I've seen issues before on PC's with multiple users, where a user who previously had admin access but now normal user (non-admin rights), had issues accessing the temp file location.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Hi,
    This issue occurs due to check along option "Enable Protected Mode at startup" when install Adobe acrobat reader x at PC. To avoid this problem, you should uncheck this protected mode option.

If you not able to resolve this problem yet after applying recommendation defined above then use an extensive PST repair tool. This tool also supports Outlook 2010 file format (Unicode).

For more knowledge you can see a resource at :
    http://www.stellaroutlooktools.com/scan/repair-unicode-formatted-pst-files.php

Regards :
    Jane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

janeparker wrote: »
    Hi,
    This issue occurs due to check along option "Enable Protected Mode at startup" when install Adobe acrobat reader x at PC. To avoid this problem, you should uncheck this protected mode option.

Regards :
    Jane

Jane you are a genius :D Thank you so much. This was wrecking my head. Turning off "Protected Mode" in Adobe Reader XI solved the issue.

Thanks again.

Advertisement