Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student raceday worth 3 million to local economy Limerick Chronicle

• 16-04-2013 8:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Saw this in the free Chronicle today can't find the online link to too

Who the hell makes up these figures!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

not 10?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Shur every Munster match is worth 10 million lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This thread needs more Monorail

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Beer Baron wrote: »
    This thread needs more Monorail

I hear those things are awfully loud!

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I hear those things are awfully loud!

It glides as softly as a cloud.
    To "dental plan" thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is definately worth €3m:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bazz26 wrote: »
    This is definately worth €3m:

The future of the country indeed.:D

Heard it was very messy out there by people i know that went and students wouldnt be ones to give out!Saw pictures on Facebook and looked dangerous the over crowding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

bigpink wrote: »
    Heard it was very messy out there by people i know that went and students wouldnt be ones to give out!Saw pictures on Facebook and looked dangerous the over crowding

I was talking to a shop owner in Patrickswell this evening and she said it was a disaster zone up there. Supposedly quite a bit of damage done inside the racecourse too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

There was a mention of a load of people walking on the M20 that evening, mental.
    My estate is about 50/50 students families. There was a small nit of noise and messing, nothing of any consequence, but thry all came back at about 9 then off to town at about 11. Can see how a few bob was spent but €3M?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DarkJager wrote: »
    I was talking to a shop owner in Patrickswell this evening and she said it was a disaster zone up there. Supposedly quite a bit of damage done inside the racecourse too.

No sympathy for the racecourse tbh. Based on events of other years they knew what they were getting themselves in for with the minority that cause hassle/damage, and as such could have refused to host the event.

Would imagine that even after damage is factored in that the racecourse will have made a nice profit off of those that attended.

There was a mention of a load of people walking on the M20 that evening, mental.
    My estate is about 50/50 students families. There was a small nit of noise and messing, nothing of any consequence, but thry all came back at about 9 then off to town at about 11. Can see how a few bob was spent but €3M?

This! Dangerous, inconsiderate, drunken fools! I've done some stupid drunken things before but they never involved a motorway.

My parents were driving out the M20 towards Adare before the races started and the students were hopping out of cars, taxis and busses ON THE MOTORWAY and walking up towards the racecourse. I know the traffic was brutal but its still a motorway! To be honest, that wasn't the worst of it. Its when I was driving out the M20 after the races had finished and there they were, dozens if not hundreds p**sed out of their skulls and descending back down on to the M20 for their lifts and walking across the flyover spitting and hanging off the side of it. I heard afterwards of cans and bottles been thrown over too and you can guarantee someone hacked their guts up over it. I wonder if thats the end of the student races? Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

No way would it be cancelled. It's the biggest day of the year for the Racecourse, busier than Stephens Day even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

It might be their busiest day, but at €3m, taking say an average spend of €250 a head (probably over stating, but anyway) you'd need 13,000 students to have been there. If they got a capacity crowd (18,000) it would have been €166 a head. Don't think they would have got a capacity crowd, probably no where near the 13,000 even.

And there's no way students had over €250 to spend on one night out. If they do there's something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They also seem to have come up with the idea on twitter that Jamie Oliver is setting up a restaurant in the city...egg on the face of the editor last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

source wrote: »
    It might be their busiest day, but at €3m, taking say an average spend of €250 a head (probably over stating, but anyway) you'd need 13,000 students to have been there. If they got a capacity crowd (18,000) it would have been €166 a head. Don't think they would have got a capacity crowd, probably no where near the 13,000 even.

And there's no way students had over €250 to spend on one night out. If they do there's something seriously wrong.

There's no hope in hell of students spending even half that much. The consensus seems to be that they had 12-13'000 students there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They wouldn't have spent €3 million between them, but between taxis, buses, off-licences and bets there would have been a decent trickle-down effect from the amount they did spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Id imagine the Students Unions part subsidised buses/admission so the students wouldnt necessairly have to spend all the money themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

source wrote: »

I dropped and collected a bunch and the majority I saw were far from off their legs with drink. certainly some were, but you'll get that everywhere.
    tickets cos 7e I think. taxi share/bus about 5e a head, pizzas between coming home from races and heading back into town that night 8e. most students don't buy their drink out but instead buy cheaply in shops and have few drinks before they go out. also vast majority of same students wouldn't have gone out earlier on that week saving themselves up for that night so its far from an extra 3m euro for the city.

But that doesn't make good media coverage so lets hype it up instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Id imagine the Students Unions part subsidised buses/admission so the students wouldnt necessairly have to spend all the money themselves

I highly doubt that would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

,i never did as hard a days working at the raceday with them lunatics .They did 3k worth of damage to lift,wrecked a 10k sound system,pissed in a cooker,shat in a cupboard,assaulted a work college with a high heel.pissed on top of a cleaner,pissed off a balcony on top of other students.

55 security guards against 12,000 odd students.
    Twas like the almo before the day even started with all the young ones blood gushing falling to the ground off their heels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Was at it a few years ago not as big but that looks very dangerous,im sure a fire officer wouldnt be happy with this in a event venue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

These kind of guesstimates are always made by using the worst kind of pigeon maths possible, let me try to see if I can get a figure using some mad maths.

There are 25,000 students in Limerick, over 13k in UL, 7k in LIT, throw in some Mary I heads and then some Leaving Certs, lets presume every single 1 of them are going to the races (pigeon maths, you assume everything).
    They are all going to get spruced up and buy something to wear for the event, lets put the average spend at €20 a head (balance the guy spending nothing with the girl getting her hair & make-up done as well as buying a new dress), that gives a running total of half a million.
    They all have to spend a tenner to get into the races - another quarter of a million.
    They all have to get to and from the races - lets call it a tenner a head, another quarter of a million, that looks after our first million.
    They all spend €20 on bets at the races - that's another half.
    They all spend €20 on drink at the races - that's another half, that looks after the second million.
    After the races they are all going to head back into town, they'll all spend €20 on drink and food in town - another half a million.
    Because the buses were only going to get them into town, they all have to get home afterwards, no one shares a cab so it'll be a tenner a head to get home, that's another quarter of a million, that brings us up to 2.75 million, sure that's close enough to 3 million lets call it that to make it easier.

Now, in case you want to put another slant on it, you could figure in that there'll have to be Guards on duty to look after any trouble, there'll also need to be a full ready hospital ready to deal with any accidents, ignore the fact that these would already be in place, it's the student races that mean all these costs are being incurred. Depending on your political leaning, you may say that the brave Front Line Civil servants are looking after the youth of Ireland for the cheap sum of (lets say 50 each of guards, firefighters & nurses at €20 an hour for 8 hours and 10 doctors at €50 each for 8 hours) €28k, you may also say that due to the anarchy being threatened on the innocent and to protect the students from themselves, it's going to cost almost €50k to provide them with a night out, you could also say that due the selfishness of the unions that treble time will have to be paid so it'll cost €150k to allow a night out to happen.

As a Project Manager you have to be able to be able to read things, I've a Six Sigma Black Belt due to being able to "slant" figures to make them look better, be under no illusion, when there are figures being bandied around without any sign off people will make up whatever numbers they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

bigpink wrote: »
    Was at it a few years ago not as big but that looks very dangerous,im sure a fire officer wouldnt be happy with this in a event venue

Maybe they would but it looks no different to Galway on ladies day.

Advertisement